Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

What do *you* look for...

9 replies to this topic

Poll: What the most important thing in a web host? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What the most important thing in a web host?

1. Price (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Reliability (13 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

3. cpanel/directadmin/plesk (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. ssh access (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. Disk space (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Bandwidth (1 votes [5.56%])

7. Customer Service (1 votes [5.56%])

8. Ability to communicate with other customers (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Something else entirely (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 steveh  OFFLINE  

steveh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 11:26 am

in a web host? For those of you that host single domains with a webhost, what's the single most important thing you get from them?

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 11:37 am

Reliability is paramount for me.

Great thread by the way, thank you :)

#3 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 12:18 pm

It used to be price.... Reliability is what I voted. I think you need a good meld of the two. *cough*Idologic*cough*

#4 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 12:33 pm

It used to be price....

Reliability is what I voted.

I think you need a good meld of the two.

*cough*Idologic*cough*

I totally agree. Price is still an important consideration but what good is your web hosting if it's reliability is crappy? None what so ever.

Give me reliability at a fair price and I'm happy. Or you could just go with Idologic.com :yelclap:

#5 DeviousTrap  OFFLINE  

DeviousTrap

Ignore me, I'm a trap!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 12:36 pm

Reliability for me as well.

#6 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 12:38 pm

Another good choice would be reputation/business viability or infrastructure.

That would be my #1 or #2 choice. In that regards I would probably choose HTTPme, Idologic, clook.net or ServInt.net :)

#7 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 12:52 pm

i chose customer service because it seemed to be the closest to support out of the choices.

#8 i-bystander  OFFLINE  

i-bystander

still stuck in traffic...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 12:57 pm

Oooh, close call for me. Price is a very good factor, esp. if you're just starting out. If you don't know what you're doing, customer service is tops. Now, once you get your feet wet, reliability becomes a big issue. I'm torn, but if I had to choose, I guess it would be reliability. If your host is reliable, there's no price too high and you wouldn't have much of a need for customer service. Reading other people's comments makes me think there should be an Idologic option in the poll! :D

#9 Ankit  OFFLINE  

Ankit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 17, 2004 - 7:07 pm

I look for a variety of things, I'll tell you them in order of importance

1. Reliability - I want to avoid downtime as much as possible so I look for hosts who have proven this. It's not only about uptime though, it's also making sure that all the resources I'm paying for are available including space and bandwidth. My previous host ran out of space on the HD and before that was running above 80% usage for at least a week or two.

2. Customer Service - If I'm paying for a service, lack of support shouldn't put me in a situation making it harder to use the service. I like quality replies that aren't one line and explain to me what I want to know. I don't mind it being one line if it was in an FAQ, Guide, etc.

3. Pricing/Space/Bandwidth - Generally, I'll pick based on first two and reccomendations. In most cases, if I need more of either resource, my profits should cover for it. I've been running websites for 7 years now and have always found that if you're doing everything correctly, paying the premium for a quality host shouldn't be an issue.

Control panels are mentioned too, but I won't even consider a host who doesn't have DirectAdmin, cPanel, or something comparable.

SSH access isn't really an issue at all because the control panels allow me to do what I want. If I'm in a situation where it can't and is allowable for the account type, I'm sure customer support will help me out.

Basically, I want a nice complete package and I will pay the premium price for it. Reliability, Customer Service, and reccomendations take first priority. After that I really just pick based on my needs, not pricing for the most part.

#10 twista  OFFLINE  

twista

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 22, 2004 - 8:55 pm

im not 100% sure about this. I voted "Reliability", but now that i think of it .. i would vote " Price". monkey dance! :2monkey: :2tapdance

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users