Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2007

1angelnhvn

I hope this thread stays active, as posters share their hints and clearance finds at Target. I've been Perimeter Perusing Target for about three years now, and find it helps me get through from one BF to the following year.

As many of you know, the Brick and Mortar store Target is known for their terrific clearance deals. You may have noticed that although the sticker price, including the reddish orange clearance stickers, says one price, that many times the items scan for less. It could be better for you if the item is priced higher and does scan less. Many shoppers do not realize this and pass the item by. Also, many times an item is not marked clearance in any way and I would suggest if you are interested in an item that you take it to the nearest scanner and check the price that comes up.

The standard clearance at Target works by items being marked down 15% or 30% initially. This price can last somewhere between two weeks to a month, depending on how well the item sells at this price. Then the item typically drops to 50%, again for two weeks to a month. Generally, the lowest an item will be marked down is 75% off, with a few exceptions. Items considered 'holiday' or 'seasonal' items have been known to go as low as 90% after the holiday, and you will find a few occasional display items or things found in the stockroom after inventory marked 80%-90% off. Almost always, the lowest price an item will go will usually end in $.x4 or $.x8, but not always.

A markdown schedule for the seasonal or holiday clearance is as follows:

Traditional Holiday clearance schedule

50% off day after holiday for three days

75% off fourth day after holiday for three days

90% off seventh day after holiday for 1-2 days.

Other than Chr-stmas this is the schedule used for holiday clearance, including Valentine's Day, Easter, Summerville, and Halloween, for at least the last two years

Also, Target is the only store I have found where many, although not all, of the cashiers seem to have the ability to bargain on a price when an item doesn't scan with one. There are times when an item will scan as 'clearance + tax'. Be happy in these situations instead of groaning. Sometimes the cashier can do a price over ride sort of thing to find the most recent lowest price, but sometimes if you say 'I'll take it for (whatever 75% off the marked retail price would be)' they'll just key that in. It's always worth a shot. Same thing applies for an item that scans 'NOF' (Not on file). This means the item is so old that it is completely out of the computer system. Again, I would try offering the 75% off the retail price, but if necessary a price can usually be looked up at the Guest Services Desk. However, if an item has gone 'salvage,' this may backfire on you. In this instance, Target marks the item back up to full retail value, before pulling it from the shelves and donating it to a charity, such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army for a tax write off. this is how Target claims to donate so much to charity.

The markdown teams in each store seems to keep to a standardized schedule, but there are stores that seem to have different ones. For those who do follow it the departmental mark down days are:

------- Mark Down Schedule -------

-Mon. -- Electronics, Kids Clothing and Stationary (Cards, GiftWrap, etc.)

-Tues. -- Domestics, Women's Clothing, Pets and Market (food items)

-Wed. -- Men's Clothing, Toys, Health and Beauty, Lawn & Garden items

-Thur. -- House Wares, Lingerie, Shoes, Sporting Goods, Movies, Music, Books, Decor and Luggage

-Fri. -- Auto, Cosmetics, Hardware, & Jewelry

This schedule says nothing about weekend mark downs, but I have seen items change in price between a Saturday morning perimeter perusal and one done on a Sunday afternoon. I still haven't found any rhyme or reason to what gets marked down on those days though. Another part of the fun.

Go to Target.com and see if there are any updates about new Target openings.

Target does not have a lay-a-way, but diehard Perimeter Perusers have tried various methods of getting around this. Most are constantly debated on the various forums dedicated to this subject as far as being 'ethical' or not, I'll leave it for you to decide for yourself.

When an item goes 50% off, and there are several left, some posters have said they find a 'hiding' place to put the item and they go back to see if the item is still there several weeks later to scan and see if it dropped in price. Some common hiding places shared is:

In the middle of a round clothes rack, where all of the clothes hide the item.

About a third of the way off the floor of a stack of pillows.

Behind similar items, perhaps with newer packaging, on the proper shelf.

Sometimes, when items are getting scarce at 50% off, posters will buy them at that price and hold on to the receipt. If they find the item later at 75% or 90% off, they will buy the item again, remove any clearance stickers that show the lower price, and return the item at another time with the older, higher priced receipt, as long as it is within the 90 day return period.

Target initiated a new return policy in November of 2002 that says any 'seasonal' clearance items returned will be refunded at the current clearance price, even with a receipt! They updated the policy in April, 2003 to specify these items as Chr-stmas trees and decorations and Hallowe'en costumes and decorations. As far as I know, all other seasonal merchandise should be refunded at the price stated on the reciept.

Other web sites to visit to find listed bargains are:

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

I hope y'all find this information helpful, and would love to know of other Perimeter Perusers tricks that I may not have covered!

I just learned something new on a different forum devoted to Target. I've now that the Target website puts out coupons to be printed and used at their SuperTarget stores, but I didn't know that if a regular Target carried the item you could use that coupon, a coupon from a Target circular if one happens to be out, and a manufacturers coupon all at the same time on one item. So, you can stack all three coupons on one item at either a Super or regular Target.

Here an online site to print off SuperTarget coupons.

Super Target Coupons

Some times Wow coupons has target coupons to print off as well, but they seem to not have any at the moment.

I hope this thread stays active, as posters share their hints and clearance finds at Target. I've been Perimeter Perusing Target for about three years now, and find it helps me get through from one BF to the following year.

As many of you know, the Brick and Mortar store Target is known for their terrific clearance deals. You may have noticed that although the sticker price, including the reddish orange clearance stickers, says one price, that many times the items scan for less. It could be better for you if the item is priced higher and does scan less. Many shoppers do not realize this and pass the item by. Also, many times an item is not marked clearance in any way and I would suggest if you are interested in an item that you take it to the nearest scanner and check the price that comes up.

The standard clearance at Target works by items being marked down 15% or 30% initially. This price can last somewhere between two weeks to a month, depending on how well the item sells at this price. Then the item typically drops to 50%, again for two weeks to a month. Generally, the lowest an item will be marked down is 75% off, with a few exceptions. Items considered 'holiday' or 'seasonal' items have been known to go as low as 90% after the holiday, and you will find a few occasional display items or things found in the stockroom after inventory marked 80%-90% off. Almost always, the lowest price an item will go will usually end in $.x4 or $.x8, but not always.

Other than Chr-stmas this is the schedule used for holiday clearance, including Valentine's Day, Easter, Summerville, and Halloween, for at least the last two years

Also, Target is the only store I have found where many, although not all, of the cashiers seem to have the ability to bargain on a price when an item doesn't scan with one. There are times when an item will scan as 'clearance + tax'. Be happy in these situations instead of groaning. Sometimes the cashier can do a price over ride sort of thing to find the most recent lowest price, but sometimes if you say 'I'll take it for (whatever 75% off the marked retail price would be)' they'll just key that in. It's always worth a shot. Same thing applies for an item that scans 'NOF' (Not on file). This means the item is so old that it is completely out of the computer system. Again, I would try offering the 75% off the retail price, but if necessary a price can usually be looked up at the Guest Services Desk. However, if an item has gone 'salvage,' this may backfire on you. In this instance, Target marks the item back up to full retail value, before pulling it from the shelves and donating it to a charity, such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army for a tax write off. this is how Target claims to donate so much to charity.

The markdown teams in each store seems to keep to a standardized schedule, but there are stores that seem to have different ones. For those who do follow it the departmental mark down days are:

-Thur. -- House Wares, Lingerie, Shoes, Sporting Goods, Movies, Music, Books, Decor and Luggage

This schedule says nothing about weekend mark downs, but I have seen items change in price between a Saturday morning perimeter perusal and one done on a Sunday afternoon. I still haven't found any rhyme or reason to what gets marked down on those days though. Another part of the fun.

Target does not have a lay-a-way, but diehard Perimeter Perusers have tried various methods of getting around this. Most are constantly debated on the various forums dedicated to this subject as far as being 'ethical' or not, I'll leave it for you to decide for yourself.

When an item goes 50% off, and there are several left, some posters have said they find a 'hiding' place to put the item and they go back to see if the item is still there several weeks later to scan and see if it dropped in price. Some common hiding places shared is:

Sometimes, when items are getting scarce at 50% off, posters will buy them at that price and hold on to the receipt. If they find the item later at 75% or 90% off, they will buy the item again, remove any clearance stickers that show the lower price, and return the item at another time with the older, higher priced receipt, as long as it is within the 90 day return period.

Target initiated a new return policy in November of 2002 that says any 'seasonal' clearance items returned will be refunded at the current clearance price, even with a receipt! They updated the policy in April, 2003 to specify these items as Chr-stmas trees and decorations and Hallowe'en costumes and decorations. As far as I know, all other seasonal merchandise should be refunded at the price stated on the reciept.

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

I hope y'all find this information helpful, and would love to know of other Perimeter Perusers tricks that I may not have covered!

I just learned something new on a different forum devoted to Target. I've now that the Target website puts out coupons to be printed and used at their SuperTarget stores, but I didn't know that if a regular Target carried the item you could use that coupon, a coupon from a Target circular if one happens to be out, and a manufacturers coupon all at the same time on one item. So, you can stack all three coupons on one item at either a Super or regular Target.

Super Target Coupons

Some times Wow coupons has target coupons to print off as well, but they seem to not have any at the moment.

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

Target UPC finds

Freebies and Bargains

Super Target Coupons

We just got back from visiting the Inlaws in Tennesee and the Target's we drove by in KY, Tenn, and Cincy were all still 50 off! I kept hoping we would find ONE that was 75! Oh well! Will try another day! :( Ariel vanity for 14! WOW! Congrats to those of you that found that!!!!!! :)

I dont know how much will be left at Target when they go to 75% off so I went to WM to get the bath sets and I scored! I got tons of kid ones (for kids bday parties) for 70 cents, then I got bigger ones for $2.20 and the biggest ones they had were $3.20. I got the lighted candy canes for our yard for 53 cents. I wish I could find these deals at Target! Oh yeah, character gift wrap for 74 cents! Thankfully, we have the storage space for them!

Good deal! I hope you found some great bargains!! :yup: I know I did!

Yup !! i found lot's of stuff for the pups......lot's of girly make up stuff for my dd who's 8.....and lot's of those building's for the light up village i want to start next year :) still counting on target going 75 % tommorow although this year it looks like they did not have my favorite items which are the christmas down throws//and sheets :(

I feel the same way but what I do is keep the receipts and buy the clearance one and turn around and return it with the other receipt, as long as its within the stores accepted return dates. Target is nice because its 90 days, so I know if I buy late Nov or so that I can return it. The kids don't even know it because I carry the receipts in the car and bring the item to the car, get the receipt and return it. I don't do this with all things but have on some larger buys. I loved when Amazon did 75% right before the holiday, got some great last min things and they all got here in time.

OMG...i love you!!! that's the best idea i've ever heard of!!!! i just told DH and he's all for it next year!!!!:2kiss:

thank you so much!!!

I never really thought about that. I think I may go to target tommorrow and find that vanity, then off to tru!! Thanks.

Careful when you buy from Target and try to return to TRU. I have foubd that they have different SKU #s. 2 Years ago I purchased a Pixter for DD (from Santa). Christmas morning found out ir was broken. Returned it to TRU of course they had none in stock it was the hot toy. I found one at Target but it was the wrong color. I bought it, and when TRU got them back in stock I purchased onfrom them and tried to return the Target one to TRU. THe sku # said it was not purchased at TRU. OF course I argued with them and tried to get a store credit but because the sku said it was not purchased there they would do nothing.

Just came back from the Middletown NY Target and they were putting up the signs for 75% off. I had already checked out with a few things @ 50% when I heard a customer tell the cashier that it was 75% off. The store manager adjsuted my purchases and I then went back and bought more. THere was a lot of stuff still left. The Manager originally told one of the customers that the 75% was to start after the 1st.

Newburgh NY Target is already at 75% off.

Careful when you buy from Target and try to return to TRU. I have foubd that they have different SKU #s. 2 Years ago I purchased a Pixter for DD (from Santa). Christmas morning found out ir was broken. Returned it to TRU of course they had none in stock it was the hot toy. I found one at Target but it was the wrong color. I bought it, and when TRU got them back in stock I purchased onfrom them and tried to return the Target one to TRU. THe sku # said it was not purchased at TRU. OF course I argued with them and tried to get a store credit but because the sku said it was not purchased there they would do nothing.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still going to try, the worst they can say is no and if that happens I'll just bring it back to target. lol. It's a good thing that their both in the same parking lot. So that helps, lol.

Actually had something like this happen to us today at Wal-Mart. My son received 2 robosapiens for Christmas - one from us and one from my SIL. Well I am terrible about receipts and can't find mine and she didn't give us one (and we aren't really on speaking terms) so we took the one she bought back to Wal-Mart to get a gift card. Well it turns out that she didn't purchase that Robosapien at Wal-Mart so they wouldn't take it back - the CSS said the sku's are different at different stores. We had to go home and get the one I bought at Wal-Mart instead so we could return it - LOL. Thank goodness I bought his at Wal-Mart.

I have bought the Target clearanced merchandise that we bought for more earlier and then used the higher priced reciept (if I can find it :) ) to return the product and get the difference back in price. In fact I just did it tonight for a savings of about $5.30.

so...what do you think the chances are for target going 75% off tomorrow?? Our closest one is 30miles away...dh told me to just wake up early and head there while him and the kids sleep. I was planning on going monday...but if they go 75off tomorrow..i'll miss out on some things I'm wanting. Went there first thing this morning..got there at 8am..and all was still 50 off. But it sure was really nice to browse in target with dh AND 3 kids and be able to just sit in the clearance toy aisle and look and play with the toys without people butting thru or anything. It was nice and quiet and we spent an HOUR in target...just us and about 10 other shoppers. When we headed up front about 9:15..it was starting to get crowded. I would call tomorrow..but if they do go 75 off..it will take me about 30 min to get there(2 towns over) and by then, all the good stuff will be gone.