Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

your domain e-mail catch-all

15 replies to this topic

#1 cronos  OFFLINE  

cronos

jazzy geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:40 pm

so, for those of you who have your own domains, do you have (and use) a catch-all account? i used to use catch-all for all my domains, but the spammers are getting crazy now i think twice before i do it. i have a domain that i just disconnected from everyone.net free webmail service. it has been offering free e-mail since january 2000, so even if i just advertised it lightly to family and friends, it had hundreds of people registered over the years. so i moved this domain and create an account for it in my reseller account (which should remain nameless because it's not really good, but it's really cheap and it's monthly so i can cancel anytime if i want to, and this is for play websites only :) ), and apparently cpanel automatically designate the main login as a catch-all. i figured this out when i noticed that my space usage as growing and growing although i haven't even created anything yet, and it turns out it's the catch-all inbox! i immediately logged in through squirrel mail and found that there are ~3000 e-mail already in there, after only two days! :mad: and it's still coming by the minute. so what do you think i should do? i can always switch the catch-all address over, create a trash mailbox, and delete it regularly, but i kind of like having a catch-all email for admin@, support@, webmaster@ and the like. looks like i'd rather just create a forwarding address for these common addresses and bounce back everything else.

#2 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,736 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:45 pm

what i do for the domains i don't really use e-mail accounts for is to use a gmail account for the catch-all. google does a pretty good job of separating the spam from the potentially useful mail, and that way i can check mail for 20+ domains at once.

#3 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:46 pm

Embarassed to admit who your reseller web host is?

tsk tsk :)

I use catch all just in case some e-mails elvis@mydomain.com you never wanna miss those e-mails.

#4 Ankit  OFFLINE  

Ankit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:48 pm

I skimmed your post so maybe I missed it, but do you use a spam filter? Spam Assassin does a good job for me

#5 cronos  OFFLINE  

cronos

jazzy geek

• 1,341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:49 pm

what i do for the domains i don't really use e-mail accounts for is to use a gmail account for the catch-all. google does a pretty good job of separating the spam from the potentially useful mail, and that way i can check mail for 20+ domains at once.

brad, that's actually a very good idea. i can't believe i didn't think of that.

i might still be able to get a gmail account especially for this purpose :)

thanks!

#6 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:49 pm

I skimmed your post so maybe I missed it, but do you use a spam filter? Spam Assassin does a good job for me

I really should use Spam Assassin.

Do you have yours setup and do you use it? If yes, what do you have it do with your SPAM mail?

Move it to spam folder -or- nuke it?

#7 cronos  OFFLINE  

cronos

jazzy geek

• 1,341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:55 pm

Embarassed to admit who your reseller web host is?

tsk tsk :)

I use catch all just in case some e-mails elvis@mydomain.com you never wanna miss those e-mails.

:P
i actually read your recommendation for dotsimple in WHT just a few days too late. of course i can still cancel and move over then, but i'm just too lazy to do that. like i said, this is just for play websites, if it's really that bad i can switch over next month, Telnap might still have some space for me :)

#8 cronos  OFFLINE  

cronos

jazzy geek

• 1,341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 2:57 pm

i gotta go home now so i can't search, but i guess i've been too ignorant, is spam assassin server-side?

#9 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 3:00 pm

saxguy - I know HostPC offers SA, not sure about DotSimple.com

#10 steveh  OFFLINE  

steveh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 3:08 pm

I set the catchall to :blackhole:

After all, who needs the admin@, support@, webmaster@, sales@, info@, etc... the messages are 99.99% crap anyway... (for queries from my site, I use form based mail and don't publish an address)...

Then I set up an email account that I actually check with a weird name that spammers aren't likely to guess. (Some times I'll set one up with a normal name that I only give to friends and family.) *Then*, every time I have to use an email address on a website, I use a different one specific to that particular website (i.e. gottadeal@mydomain.com), and set up a forwarder within cpanel *from* that specific address to my *weird* address. Then, if a website sells my address, I kill that one forwarder and their mail goes away... Yeah, it's a little bit of work, but my spam is practically nonexistent...

Also, it's worth noting that cpanel's last few versions automatically :blackhole: the main user account upon domain creation unless you change it. I'd be wondering if my host was running an old version of cpanel, especially in light of some recent security patches...

#11 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,736 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 3:10 pm

... *Then*, every time I have to use an email address on a website, I use a different one specific to that particular website (i.e. gottadeal@mydomain.com), and set up a forwarder within cpanel *from* that specific address to my *weird* address. Then, if a website sells my address, I kill that one forwarder and their mail goes away... Yeah, it's a little bit of work, but my spam is practically nonexistent...

I do the same thing for my main domain that I use for e-mail. Although I don't create forwarders for each address I use - I just create forwarders for any spam-targeted usernames instead. I use too many to bother going into cPanel each time I use a new one.

#12 johnallen  OFFLINE  

johnallen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 3:29 pm

I think back in January of this year a big virus came out [don’t remember the name]. I noticed it was sending itself to each domain it finds and it will make up a large list of names [such as mary, sue, john, joe, david]. The problem is that Cpanel at the time enabled a catch-all mail box for everyone by default when you created a domain on the server. After the virus came out I sent a request to Cpanel to create this new option to disable the catchall by default for new accounts. Months go by; it had to be at least 7-8 months. I get a email from Cpanel saying the feature was added into Cpanel. I completely forgot what I sent to them. So I click on the link and it's this option to disable the catch all. Since that feature was added I set everyone's account to blackhole it by default. SpamAssassin is on the DirectAdmin servers. I am not done with it yet. I need to add customs rules, and add a script that updates those rules as the Author makes changes.

#13 cronos  OFFLINE  

cronos

jazzy geek

• 1,341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 4:58 pm

Also, it's worth noting that cpanel's last few versions automatically :blackhole: the main user account upon domain creation unless you change it. I'd be wondering if my host was running an old version of cpanel, especially in light of some recent security patches...

hmmm.. i just checked, and this one is running 9.9.9-STABLE 15. it seems like a newer build because one of my other cpanel host is still using 9.9.8. funny how this one designate the main account as the catch-all and did not blackhole it.

#14 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 10:18 pm

Do you have yours setup and do you use it? If yes, what do you have it do with your SPAM mail?

FWIW

I have mine rewrite the subject with "[spam]" and then filter it myself in outlook.

#15 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Dec 15, 2004 - 11:15 pm

at work i have a hardware spam filter in place that checks against blackholes, although right now it is set append SPAM to any message matching anything in the BH lists. Once I make the switch to Exchange 2k3 spam will drop off 90% i hope. Let's see how good of a network admin I am. ;)

#16 Ankit  OFFLINE  

Ankit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 17, 2004 - 7:21 pm

Yup, mine is setup and I use it.

I have mine delivered to a "Spam Box." This is your e-mail login with a "/spam" at the end. It will bring up all the spam. This is essentially just another way of having a folder. The advantage with a spam box for me is that if I have Outlook set to run a check every 5 minutes for e-mail, Spam in a "Spam" folder will alert me of new mail.

With a seperate account, I can disable checking of it every 5 minutes. Since it is a seperate account, Outlook won't alert me of new mail. I only want to be told of new mail if it isn't spam.

I would have them all deleted, but every few months or so I find an e-mail in my junk mail folder that I wanted.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users