don't buy SERTA mattresses!!

4gtkids

I just have to tell you this...

We bought a brand new mattress for my daughter 6 month ago at Colders a local chain-, well I noticed that it was sagging...so I called the place I bought it from and they sent out a guy who took pictures and said they would get back to me. well they called and stated that since there was a marker stain (one oops, when my daughter was coloring on a piece of paper while I was washing sheets) our warranty was void because they cannot take that into the factory an expose their workers to contaminents..Whatever! A child's mattress, beware before you buy...I have since found out that VERLO will stand by their products...shop there

Thanks for letting me vent!!!:rant:

My MIL had hers for a year and the one side collapsed on it. It was a king size. The place she bought it at gave her a brand new one to replace it. Maybe it was just that particular establishment? That is ridiculous and if I was you I would speak to someone higher up. I wouldn't quit b****ing until my daughter had a new mattress,lol.

When I bought my Serta at HHgregg the sales guy specifically told me that Serta was very hard on the warrenties and to keep a matress cover on that would not let stains get on it or it would void the warrenty. He even gave me a cover to use that he said would keep it clean and suggested I buy another to keep when cleaning. I thought he was just trying to make another sell. Maybe he really was just being helpful.....

I've had a bad experience with Serta too.. I purchased mine through Fileens (Now Macys) took me 9 months before they finally agreed to exchange the mattress. Mine was a Queen size that had a huge sink hole big enough to bury an elephant in. What finally got me results is when I just had it & called & filed a written complaint with the BBB & also started calling government offices.

The replacement matress is doing the same thing. BUT, the warranty doesn't start over with the new mattress it continues from the original purchase date. So now my free replacement warranty is over. The way I see it, if I have to pay any amount to get a replacement. I will just buy a new one and a different brand.

This is an interesting fact I learned and sort of yucky too. In the state of MA a person has 30 days to "try out" a mattress. If the buyer doesn't like it he can return it and the store has the legal right to resale that mattress as NEW. Yuck... I don't want anyonelses "liquids" on my mattress.

Sorry to hear so many people have had such bad luck with Serta.

WOW! Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your mattress. I would keep fussing until I had results too. We have a Serta perfect sleeper which we have had for about 4 years now and our son has one that we have had for a year now and we have had no problems.

Thanks everyone! The BBB is a great idea!! I actually sort-of looked for a CEO's name to write to, found a name, but no address, I am going to persue it as much as I can...but at this point I am not sure that I even want a new serta because of all the trouble..I just feel better that I can "get the word out" because this can potentially hurt their business more than replacing a $150 mattress! We are going to buy ourselves a new mattress--king--from verlo and will probally pick a twin up there!

Clorox Cleanup worked great on getting red cough medicene out of our mattress. It's worth a try on the marker.

I thought of that, but they already know it is there, do you think it would "unvoid the voided" warranty?

it's too bad i didn't think of that before they came, i forgot it was there until he took off the pad and sheets!

Please tell me they were not going to try to "fix it"? Why would they need to take it to the factory anyway? I guess flipping the mattress over so the stain is on the otherside is out of the question right? I think I would start with the attorney general's office. Or sue them in small claims court, it only cost about $60.

http://www.originalmattress.com/

I have not used them but understand from a neighbor they are very good. They're local to me (well close enough), and they do the custom size we need for an antique bed. We're planning on picking one up after the 1st of the year.

If you're in the area, supposedly you can go to the factory and see their mattresses next to the major brands... For example their handles are supposed to hold up to real use (like flipping) where no mattress I've seen did before.

Have you tried to get the marker stain off? Would a mr clean magic eraser work? I'd keep calling until they did something.

If they already took pictures I'm sure the marker stain is on the picture; that is why they said they would not honor the warranty bcause someone say it on the picture otherwise he would have stated that when he was there.

I agree w/ the others, keep claiming your way up.

Please tell me they were not going to try to "fix it"? Why would they need to take it to the factory anyway? I guess flipping the mattress over so the stain is on the otherside is out of the question right? I think I would start with the attorney general's office. Or sue them in small claims court, it only cost about $60.

They claim they need to take it to the factoy to examine why it failed.....I could tell them in one work....JUNK!

Oh and you can't flip it because the other side is not a mattress material? I thought that was wierd when my husband brought it home, but fighure that it was a serta and he had not had a mattress in a while so maybe the twin mattresses were amde so that you didn't have to "flip" it? Yes I know, I should have taken it back........I could kick my self for that one!

From the link I posted above:

“No-Flip” / One-Sided Mattresses

The important question to ask here is whether or not this is really a benefit to you, the consumer. In our opinion, the manufacturer and retailer have everything to gain here by reducing their costs, but the consumer is short changed. From what we have seen, we simply do not believe that the customer has anything to gain from a one-sided product. We like to call “no-flip” mattresses “can’t flip” mattresses. The implication of the “no- flip” products is that they don’t need to be flipped. In fact, these products are designed with padding on only one side and cannot be flipped. Although you do not have to flip a 2 sided mattress, flipping can extend the life of your product and minimize body impressions.

They claim they need to take it to the factoy to examine why it failed.....I could tell them in one work....JUNK!

Well tell them to remove the cover and then take into the factory. Or they could just cut out that spot where the stain is. They can't inspect it without opening it up anyway.

This is VERY true. When we were shopping for mattresses at Rooms to Go, they told us about the stains on the mattress thing. We did purchase from there because if you buy their allergen mattress cover for like $65 then they (RTG) will replace your mattress for the entire warranty period if it is denied coverage from the mattress company. We have to have allergen covers anyway and that's about the right price so we bought it. I do find all of this absolutely ridiculous. I can understand certain stains, but marker, etc? Give me a break!

Oh and you can't flip it because the other side is not a mattress material? I thought that was wierd when my husband brought it home, but fighure that it was a serta and he had not had a mattress in a while so maybe the twin mattresses were amde so that you didn't have to "flip" it? Yes I know, I should have taken it back........I could kick my self for that one!

The last one I bought for my son is like that. I only gave $30 for it so I won't complain. JCPenny outlet stores have lots of returned mattress. They have to still be in the original plastic so it's not like they are used.