Rebate Rant

ObiRich

I don't know if others are running into the same thing as me, but I'm really starting to get disgusted with rebating. It seems like every rebate I've submitted in recent memory has been a serious hassle.

1. I sent in for a $100 rebate on an LG Plasma TV I bought in August. After waiting my 8 weeks, I emailed them asking where the check was. They assured me they had the rebate and I would get the check soon. Two weeks later...no check, so another email. Took 2 weeks after that one to get the check...12 weeks when the form said 8.

2. Sent in for a $25 rebate on a hard drive enclosure. The status on the website said "accepted and pending payment" on 8/24. About the end of October, emailed for updated status...after several days response was "accepted and pending payment." On Vet's day (11/11) finally had an opportunity to call (they had very limited CS hours), and was told there must have been a problem...will forward to accounting to get it done. On BF, still had no check, so called again. Finally, seems someone knew what to do. Got the check 10 days later. (almost 15 weeks after submission).

3. Recently send in a rebate for a hard drive. Waited a month, visited the website for a status check, and it couldn't find it! Emailed and asked for a status and was told to wait 8 weeks from submission before asking! I think to myself, "Self, why have a website for status if it won't give you the status."

It just seems like I have to track and work way too hard to get rebates. I've actually started avoiding deals that require rebates, even if it means I have to pay a little more in the long run. It just doesn't seem be be worth the hassle anymore....

I sent in for a $100 rebate on an LG Plasma TV I bought in August. After waiting my 8 weeks, I emailed them asking where the check was. They assured me they had the rebate and I would get the check soon. Two weeks later...no check, so another email. Took 2 weeks after that one to get the check...12 weeks when the form said 8.

I bought an Olevia LCD TV on BF 2005 and had to wait five (5) months for my $200 rebate...

The rebate form said 8-10 weeks as I recall. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Angry/swear1.gif

I just checked on some memory I bought at CompUSA Oct 31st I bought 2 sticks. The girl said no problem collecting the $25 rebate on both of them, even though they were on the same ticket.

I just checked the status and they are denying either both or one (can't tell from the page) because of duplicate addresses. After Christmas and I actually have Centon's letter in hand I will be talking to the manager about this!!! GRRRRR

I also bought a laptop from Radio Shack over Memorial Day. Talk about a pain in the butt!!! That was the hardest stuff to fill out. I will never buy anything with a rebat from RS again!!!!

We only had 2 rebates this BF. One was for $25 for Staples and an $80 @ BestBuy. We've already received the $80 rebate. I've been more than pleased with BB's rebate turnaround. This is the first time I've had a rebate from BB and I wouldn't be scared to do another.

I'm still waiting on Staples though. But I'm not at the point of worrying too much yet.

For my marketing class I had to pick one thing that I would change if I was marketing queen. I said that I would do away with requirements for mail in rebates and make any/all rebates available online!

I'm right there with those who hate mail in rebates! The only rebates I don't mind are Staples Easy Rebates. I really try to avoid all others, as they never get mailed or somehow don't end up arriving anyway!

That sounds like a good idea! They give the rebates so people think it is a good deal, but they know most people won't bother submitting! I wonder if there are statistics on that somewhere.

I avoid MIR whenever I can after not getting almost $100 from Office Depot 2 years ago. I will never mail them anything ever again.

This season: $250+ in google checkout/$500+ in MIR's. ...and having to cut, copy/scan, fill out, lick & stamp! I don't like Tiger Directs' system of having to fill out info on-line BEFORE being able to receive the form. We'll see how Buy.com does on 8-12 week timeline for turnaround. BUT, I did like Circuit City two nights ago where $50 off SODIM didn't print out the rebate at the checkout line, so they honored their sales flyer by taking the rebate off the cost there right at the store.

I have a love/hate relationship with mail in rebates. For example, a while back Officemax had 120 GB external hard drives for $39. No rebate so they sold out in seconds. Then there was the time Officemax had HP flatbed scanners for $5 after MIR. I got one of those on the last day of a week long sale! So, I'm willing to put up with MIRs because I'm more likely to get the item. But yeah, the cutting, scanning and tracking is not my favorite stuff to do....

We bought our son an lcd monitor from tigerdirect.com last year because it had 2 MIRs 1 from manufacturer and a bonus $25 from tigerdirect. I received the one from the manufacturer but never got the tigerdirect one. Even though they guarantee their rebates, you had to send it certified with signature confirmation for it to be guaranteed. Since I just sent it regular mail I am SOL. NEVER again will I buy from them

I'll jump on board and complain about Cingular's rebates. You get a debit card with $30 on it. Most of the time it doesn't activate the first time so you have to call again. Then you rarely get a clerk that knows what they are so that's a big hassle. Just send me a check I can cash or discount the price to begin with.

One thing I have noticed about rebate checks is that they are sent in the most generic-junk mail looking envelopes possible and NEVER hardly have the store or manufacturer name on the envelope. It usually shows some other weird marketing name or something. There have been a couple of times I almost just shredded it thinking it was junk mail.

I honestly think it is a conspiracy... they WANT people to throw the checks away. Some people, I am sure, forget about the rebate altogether after awhile. Thus, they sell an item for full price that they may not have sold otherwise if they had not offered a rebate!

Agreed. It's a big game.

ATI denied a $20 rebate for a Wonder HDTV video capture card I bought from Buy.com stating it was outside the rebate period. Of course it wasn't outside the rebate period and had to send in the same proof I had done in the first place. On my second call they claimed they had mailed the check the day before I called. More likely they weren't going to mail the check unless I called to inquire a second time. I haven't seen a check yet.

I noticed the latest games retailers/rebate companies play are:

1.They expire the rebate on the same day of the sale

2. Shorten the grace period to get the documentation/proof of purchase to them

3. Place a requirement that you have to call to check on the rebate after some extended period of time. I guess they do this so they won't pay you unless you call.

4. Set a date in which the rebate program expires and they will not pay you even if you submitted the required information/proof.

:mad:

I agree and Office Depot is one of the worst!! I am still waiting 3 months later for a $30 rebate. It is getting to the point where I do not want to fool with MIRs. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me at OD. I will not do anymore rebates from them.

Guest bryan1090

i also hate rebates but I have had the best luck with ace hardware rebates..

god forbid its an best buy rebate maybe my kids kids can cash the check.:D