What to do with the 'crappy' or unexpected gift?

amyers12345

Let me start by saying that I am not greedy in the least bit.

My problem is that my grandparents always give us exactly $25 worth of gifts, and then cash for the adults and bonds for the kids. My husband decided to switch jobs a couple of months ago, and his new insurance doesn't kick in until next week. He took a huge paycut.

So, Friday night, we spent in the hospital, because my son had pneumonia, with no insurance!!! And yesterday we were surprised with an extra several hundred dollar bill.

Well, my mom just let me know that we're not getting $$ from the grandparents. The girls may be, but the guys are all getting cordless screwdrivers. My grandfather's idea, and he is SO excited. The problem is that grandma gets cordless screwdrivers/drills every year. We have 6 that have never been used. And I picked DH up a set with a saw, dremmel, and rechargable flashlight that comes with a drill also! (it was cheaper that way)

Like I said, I am not greedy at all, but after 20+ years of this we have really come to expect the money. We almost consider it a reimbursement for all of the gifts we have to buy over there.

Just smile and say Thank you it from your granparents.

And then return it or regift it to another person.

If you return it you might get some money or a store credit and it you regift it will save you from buying something at a later date.

I know the money will come in handy...

Sorry to hear about the medical emergency you had.. My little one was just diagnosed yesterday with pneumonia, and thankfully it didnt result in a hospital visit.

But if you could slyly figure out where they got the screwdrivers from.. you could try and return it, and maybe get something out of it?

If not, regifting is another option that would help out.

Take care & good luck with everything. :)

I am sorry to hear about your child also. We were pretty lucky, mine didn't want to go to school Thursday, but felt fine that afternoon, even played ball that night. Friday he didn't want to go again, but didn't act very sick. Friday night, he couldn't breathe, DH thought I was overreacting when I took him to the hospital. He kept blacking out on the way and couldn't walk in.

They only gave him amoxicillin and observed him for a couple of hours. Told us to bring him back the second he got worse. Sunday he was feeling much better. Thank goodness the antibiotics worked, but I was shocked that they didn't give him a nebulizer or steroids. I think it was because of lack of insurance. We paid cash, but that didnt' seem to matter. What really stunk is that it was so late we had to get his medicine at Walgreens, it was $50. But Walmart has it for $4, and Smitty's has it for $3.

Oh wow... that sounds like it was awful.

The dr. gave us Albuterol and Azithromycin. Seem to work like a wonder drug. He took a nap last night, and was acting fine after that. Very grateful for that.

Sounds like your son is doing better, so I hope you all can enjoy the holidays now.

Sorry about your son being sick.

I can completely empathize with you about the gift problem. DH's grandparents get all the adults men the same gift and the adult women the same gift. The problem is they are great gifts, but it has never been something that DH or I would use. I know it is the thought that counts and I truly appreciate the thought, but I would much rather them keep their money, but they don't seem to understand.

Maybe someone should mention to the grandparents that they keep buying the same gift each. W/ them being older maybe they don't realize that they are doing it.

My mother bought my husband the same bday or father's day card for two/three years straight but he didn't say anything to her because it was the thought that counted to him but he mentioned to me so I mentioned to her. She was not aware that she had done that because of course it was the previous year; but she also said that there was not that many son-in-law cards either. But since I mentioned it to her she has not repeated the same card again, YET!

Glad your son is doing much better. Enjoy your holiday whatever gift you get.

Just smile and say Thank you it from your granparents.

absolutely agree.

me too

Dh's grandparents do this every year also. All of the girls get the same thing and all of the guys get the same thing. One year the guys all got these black leather wallets with the chain and the snappy thingy on the end (KWIM, like bikers wear?). I'm sure they were very nice wallets it's just that none of them even owns a bike and their not really into black leather, lol. It really didn't matter though because it was from the grandparents and they put alot of thought into it. They are probably thinking the same thing when you give them a gift, after all they probably have everything they want or need already. The grandparents are always hard for me to buy for. This year we got dh's and my grandparents all birdfeeders. They may think WTH? when they open it but I really did put alot of thought into it I just couldn't think of anything better.

Well, depending upon how close you are, I would explain to them that you could really use the cash to help with medical bills and that while you appreciate the effort that was made to find such a "perfect gift" your needs are to really pay for the medical expenses. Offer to take the screwdriver back to the store yourself. Who knows, you may get the screwdriver and some cash...