When taking toddlers to non-childproofed homes, how to handle it.

sissykus

It makes me crazy to take my one year old toddler to people's homes that are not child proofed. My mother who has my sister and other 1 year old grandson living with her, has a house that is not childproofed. I had to chase my son everywhere on TG and keep him from sticking his fingers in the outlets. I have decided that on Christmas I am going to just have to take the outlet covers with me and scout out all the outlets. I am also taking the gates with me. I took them to MIL for TG and people had to keep stepping over it the whole time. I felt bad at first but I need to rest on the holidays and not chase my son everywhere, if people have to step, let 'em step.

I know the feeling. I am lucky that my kids have never been the type to really get into stuff. My grandmother's house is definitely not childproofed, and now there are 6 grandkids 2 and under. She didn't learn her lesson when a huge wooden shelf full of die cast tractors fell, just missing my son when he was small. The shelf was held up by straight pins!!!

My advice is to take a pack and play. This can be great when you are trying to get something done or just take a break.

Good luck!

I don't have any little kids, but I do have a gate I keep handy for others that do. I don't have cabinet locks, but it's only pans and things like that under my sink and I don't mind if they play with them.

I remember what it was like going places with my kids, I always stressed, I don't want people to feel like that when they are here.

I follow them around everywhere. My kids are pretty good about not touching things that are not theirs. But for instance, my DH's Aunt has a house filled with pretty things (read: expensive) - lots of glass figurines, etc. I know those catch the eyes of little ones, so I follow them everywhere.

This year? We aren't going, because DH cannot go (he has to work) so I told MIL I am not going there.. following three kids around leaves me not even a second to pee or eat dinner, lol. :)

I would bring outlet covers and the gates. Thankfully when we go (we go every other year to KS) my in-laws do think of my little ones and when we go to relatives houses when we're there, I don't leave them alone and when it's something breakable I usually will just pick it up and put it up high. And I mention it to them later so they know where it is and they are usually happy that I did that. (better than having it broken!) lol especially with my three active ones :)

Outlets have always been the least of my concerns when travelling or visiting, it seems! It is always phones, glass, ceramics, top heavy tables, etc! Either we move everything out of the way or watch her by tag teaming. That seems to work best in houses where you *can't* move everything. Just ask everyone to keep an eye out. If you need or want to leave the room, hand primary responsibility off to someone else while you go to the bathroom, grab an appetizer, etc. A lot of the homes we visit you couldn't gate off anyway as the door frames are odd sizes. DD never stayed in a pack n play, so that was never an option. An a few minutes in front of a favorite video or DVD is NOT a horrible thing if you want to just eat part of a meal in peace.

I think you should take the outlet covers. Take the gate if there are stairs or a room with no door that the baby shouldn't be in. I personally don't like gates unless it is used on stairs. I just have a real problem when people use them because they are to lazy to get up and watch/take care of their child. I'm not saying you are. When I was still in High School my brother's ex girlfriend always had gates up, when living with my dad and I it enclosed our living room and then when they got a trailer it blocked off the hallway, because she was too lazy to get up and take care of my neice. I had a friend who was the same way with her son. I've hate them ever since. I don't allow gates in my house but our stairs are blocked off by a door as for any other room in my house I feel the parents can just watch their kids.

I think you should take the outlet covers. Take the gate if there are stairs or a room with no door that the baby shouldn't be in. I personally don't like gates unless it is used on stairs. I just have a real problem when people use them because they are to lazy to get up and watch/take care of their child. I'm not saying you are. When I was still in High School my brother's ex girlfriend always had gates up, when living with my dad and I it enclosed our living room and then when they got a trailer it blocked off the hallway, because she was too lazy to get up and take care of my neice. I had a friend who was the same way with her son. I've hate them ever since. I don't allow gates in my house but our stairs are blocked off by a door as for any other room in my house I feel the parents can just watch their kids.

I was just wondering if you have any children of your own? Being too lazy to chase them around, and wanting to take one day out of the year to not call his name all day and chase him around someone else's house to see what he is in to are two different things. Noone else there watches their children or cares what theirs do. My son is not a bad child and he is only 11 1/2 months old, but he is very strong and very curious. If someone in my family told me that I could not bring a gate to their house because gates were not allowed would get laughed at. I would not even visit if they could not empathize with me. As I asked before you didn't mention having children and I was wondering if you have any and have chased them around all day every day and if you ever needed to rest. I personally do not believe in asking someone else to watch my child while I am there. I am home with my child 24/7 because I can't find a teaching job. I am not lazy and I am very aware of my child's mental developments as well as his need for mobility and exploration. I am not meaning to come across angry or resentful towards your comments but this is a constant battle for me with my family and inlaws. :cheesy:

I would take my gate if I was an area where I knew there steps or such that could be harmful to the toddler. I do not see a gate as being lazy. My kids are now 13/11. I kept a gate for a while because I have friends that have little ones and my Kitchen has a wide open walkway so I would use the gate to block off the kitchen.

I was just wondering if you have any children of your own? Being too lazy to chase them around, and wanting to take one day out of the year to not call his name all day and chase him around someone else's house to see what he is in to are two different things. Noone else there watches their children or cares what theirs do. My son is not a bad child and he is only 11 1/2 months old, but he is very strong and very curious. If someone in my family told me that I could not bring a gate to their house because gates were not allowed would get laughed at. I would not even visit if they could not empathize with me. As I asked before you didn't mention having children and I was wondering if you have any and have chased them around all day every day and if you ever needed to rest. I personally do not believe in asking someone else to watch my child while I am there. I am home with my child 24/7 because I can't find a teaching job. I am not lazy and I am very aware of my child's mental developments as well as his need for mobility and exploration. I am not meaning to come across angry or resentful towards your comments but this is a constant battle for me with my family and inlaws. :cheesy:

Yes I do have children and yes I have chased them around all day. Sure it gets tiring but I also know that I had that child so it is up to me to take care of that child and I also have the help of my husband and in my family we all keep an eye out for everyone's children so even if I turn my back for a moment I know there will be someone else there. If you would reread my post I said that I was not calling you lazy. After seeing gates used because the parent was too lazy to take care of the child I just don't like them unless they are being used at a stairway or to a room that would be considered dangerous. I just can't agree with using them because the parent wants to relax and not chase their child.

You know what go ahead and get nasty I really don't care as you're just a stranger to me. Lets just chalk it up as a difference of opinion on one of the responsibilities of a parent. You really need to read the posts carefully, as I did state that I do get tired. You know when you ask for opinions on a public forum don't expect for everyone to feel or believe the same things you do.