Do you disguise presents?

ms_mckenna

I was laughing at my kids tonight rattling presents under the tree. One of my sons presents (a cell phone) I wrapped in the box from my husbands work boots he just bought. He swears it is a wrestling ring. :sidesplit Poor kid has yet to figure out anything he has under the tree so far, and nothing has been even remotely close. Sad thing is DD was with me and knows what he got but still has no clue what it is. :gdthums:

Last year DD wanted a UT jersey and I folded till it fit in the smallest box I could find. She thought it was jewlery before she opened it.

We have been known to wrap things in huge boxes that are very small. Add things like AOL disks to the box to throw off the sound it makes when it rattles. And wrap things in other boxes (like 12 packs of coke boxes).

Wondering what does everyone else do? Or are we the only ones that really enjoy fooling the kids?

We have done it before too. I like throwing things that rattle or jingle in. A few bells or some crumpled newspaper works great. Also, wrapping up something with a shirt around it works good too -- they think it is clothes. One time my mom wrapped up a suede jacket I wanted in a shirt box. She managed to cram it in a shirt sized gift box (with the help of loads of tape. lol I was so disappointed cause I wanted it soo bad. lol little did I know.

Santa still brings the kids' gifts since my kids are 2-11yrs (atleast a good 8 more years of the hiding gifts and putting them out at 3am!:cry2:) but I do put all the PS2 and Gamecube games in small shirt boxes then wrap them,lol. I know I bought my DS (soon to be 12) ATLEAST 15 games for the PS2 and maybe 3 for Gamecube,lol. I will have to count them,lol. Sometimes I will wrap them with a piece of clothing,lol.

I always find something cheap with a little weight to it to wrap with my dads gift card so he thinks I didn't get the gift card,lol. Usually peanuts or something. He loves hunting and fishing so he gets "Uncle Joes" gift cards.

Hmmm, interesting!!!

No I don't usually. Well not for my kids anyway. Like Jeninpa, gifts don't go under our tree if they are for the kids until 3-5 AM. But still some gifts are an automatic give away by the shape of the packaging.

I am REALLY liking the AOL cd idea. Wal-mart still has those things at customer service don't they?

This will be fun. I will have to make sure I check this thread frequently for more ideas, and then on Christmas eve or so to let you all know what I did. Ohhhh, I feel like a secret agent or something. :D

Though, I don't know that I will do any tricking on my youngest, she is only 5 and would seriously not understand the fun of this.

We disquise or hide whatever it takes. The best one though is when I assigned the kids a color. For example DS1 was silver, DS2 was gold, DS3 was red etc.. I was the only one who knew which person was which color. Shaking the packages did them little good because they did not know if the package was theirs or not. (They shook them all and tried to guess what was in it anyway) They already want to know when I will wrap presents so they can shake them!

There have been some presents in my family that instead of disguising we actually sent people on a scavenger hunt to find them because they were so big and bulky. Last year I sent my sister on one to find the luggage set that my mom had bought her and we had stored.

I LOVE this idea!! I will be using it in the future. Maybe start it off with a card hanging on the tree for the first part or a gift box with the first set of instructions. :) Thanks for the idea.

Though, I don't know that I will do any tricking on my youngest, she is only 5 and would seriously not understand the fun of this.

I don't know. My mom always disguised stuff. I remember when I was 5 my older sister got me an etch a sketch from Ohio Arts. I was disappointed because I could clearly tell that is what it was. (Although I like guessing, I HATE knowing ahead of time. -- I LOVE surprises. ) She may get into it more than you would think. :)

We disquise or hide whatever it takes. The best one though is when I assigned the kids a color. For example DS1 was silver, DS2 was gold, DS3 was red etc.. I was the only one who knew which person was which color. Shaking the packages did them little good because they did not know if the package was theirs or not. (They shook them all and tried to guess what was in it anyway) They already want to know when I will wrap presents so they can shake them!

I like that idea.

I definitely do this. My husband did this to me a few years ago when he was going to propose. He put my engagement ring in a stuffed cat that had a zipper belly and wrapped the cat inside an empty wrapping paper roll. I had no idea what I was about to open. It was a great surprise. :eyepoppin

I disguise and this year, I didn't put names on them. Instead I put codes. (I wrote what the codes are in a secret place.) This weekend we put a few of the presents under the tree and my kids are having a fit because they are labeled....KKY...and GGW... LOL...they are soo confused.

Yes. When my girls used to want Bratz dolls--if you didn't wrap them in another box, they always knew what they were.

A few years back, some friends of mine wrapped a gift certificate for gasoline with some cement compound stuff, so it weighed a ton, and all it was was a piece of paper. They really had me wondering on that one. I have to say, that was an awesome gift. :yup:

Our Christmas tree is located between a big window and a couch facing the TV.

One year we gave our daughter a Razor Scooter, which she had asked for for the longest time.

After she saw everything else that Santa had brought her, we told her to look behind the couch for a special gift. She started yelling, because she just knew she was getting the scooter.

Behind the couch, was a tiny Razor Scooter on a keychain. She turned around & looked at us as if we were crazy. We told her to look out the window behind the tree (which technically was also behind the couch ;) ) and there was her real scooter.

She never let us forget that for the next year. :D

DH has been collecting big boxes for me for wrapping when I do finally get finished. But I just got a really good idea for DS big present. You have to get that where my tree is is right by the front door and 6 days out of 7 all my hubbies work stuff ends up next to it. So he has this silver briefcase the kind that guns go in that he decided to retire since he has started doing his tickets on his laptop. Anyway DS wanted it so badly when he bought it and has been asking for one ever since. It looks like the "money in the bank" brief case for those of you that watch wrestling. Today I got Alex's Rey Mysterio mask and was trying to decide how I was going to disguise it. :D WELL I decided I am just going to put it in the briefcase and close it and put it in the back of all the presents under the tree. DS is going to flip when he first thinks he has opened everything and did not get the main thing he wanted, and then second when he figures out he could have opened it LONG ago and mom would have never known :sidesplit. We are going to go to Walmart or someplace and get him some fake money for it too. :D

I love disguising presents. I also love taking something very small and wrapping it.. putting it in another box, wrapping that one.. then another and well you get the point. We always get one person every year. This year since kids are a bit older and everything is under the tree now, there are no names on packages.. I numbered the gifts. 1-4..I also mixed up the order, due to knowing they all would think it was going in order from youngest to oldest. I'm bad that way. Hubby's tools this year ended up in my box for my angel yard decoration so he could not guess what it was. He's worse then the kids! :giggle: