Painted plates? Updated need opinion

ms_mckenna

Hey guys I got some clear plates at Walmart and have decided that I am going to paint the back side of them and use them as plates to put my pretzles on for teachers presents.

Two questions for you ladies.

1) Is there anything that I can put on top of the paint to make it so you can wash it?

2) Anyone know of a cute Mufasa or Simba that would be fairly easy to trace? Or just a lions head? I have yet to find something I like and can reproduce. ;)

Delta makes a line of Glass Paints that come in a small tube with a thin tip which is used for applying the paint. This also uses the surface conditioner to help it adhere to the glass, and is also claimed to be dishwasher, microwave and oven safe without heat setting.

Or this might work too:

PLAID Gallery Glass Protective Sealer

Try a coloring book for the Lion King heads

Awww that is a good idea ! I may use red then instead of green. Our schools mascot is the lions and DD wanted to use Simba for our lion on the plate. The little kids gym has simba and nala painted on the floor instead of a regular lion cub :P.

FYI does anyone know of a method that I can use normal craft paint on glass plates? Maybe baking it on or something? I looked tonight at Walmart for the glass paint and they have none. I really do not want to drive to Longview to buy paint. :sidesplit

I have gotten 5 semi done. I am kind of at an impass though. I am going to have to sponge that back with a color all over and then seal it I think because the back looks so strange. I guess it is from painting it backwards.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/plate.jpg This is one of the plates. I am deciding on the sponging color. I was thinking I have some white sparkly paint or I could use green. Maybe a midnight blue. Any ideas or opinions?

Callie that looks great! What kind of paint did you end up using?

I would do each one with a differend BG color for each teacher. I like the idea of the glittery white and the blue. But I bet green would look great too.

You know, I remember ppl making these on tv and the used ripped bits of printed tissue paper and decoupaged them to the reverse. You might want to do this so you don't have to worry about the paint getting scratched off. WM has lots of cute christmas tissue papers. And modgepodge is pretty cheap.

Callie that looks great! What kind of paint did you end up using?

I would do each one with a differend BG color for each teacher. I like the idea of the glittery white and the blue. But I bet green would look great too.

You know, I remember ppl making these on tv and the used ripped bits of printed tissue paper and decoupaged them to the reverse. You might want to do this so you don't have to worry about the paint getting scratched off. WM has lots of cute christmas tissue papers. And modgepodge is pretty cheap.

Thanks :) ... coming from you I really appreciate that, I know you are pretty crafty. ;) Actually just ended up using craft paint :blush: I figured as long as it was sealed well I would be ok.

I think I like the idea of doing them different colors. I get to pump out 21 of these. I was looking in the paint bin and I have a glitter that is clear I may do a layer of that next then the paint then seal. So all the colors have a glittery feel to them.

I would like to do the printed tissue too but I am not sure. I looked at modgepodge last night actually and thinking I could use that as a sealer instead of a "laquer" type spray. I am still kind of deciding on the best way to seal.

Well thank you that is a great compliment. :)

I was going to say to do one coat of sparkle, let it dry then use your color but I didn't want to sound like Hitler lol I figured you'd know what to do since you got all of yout colors layered on the lion. ;) As far as the sealer goes I would probably go with the modgepoge too or a clear acrylic type spray paint. You can get it in the paint aisle at wm. :)

Holy crap that does look wonderful! Don't sell yourself short! You did a right fine job!!!

You have done a great JOB!

:blush: Thanks guys.

I was going to say to do one coat of sparkle, let it dry then use your color but I didn't want to sound like Hitler lol I figured you'd know what to do since you got all of yout colors layered on the lion. ;) As far as the sealer goes I would probably go with the modgepoge too or a clear acrylic type spray paint. You can get it in the paint aisle at wm. :)

LOL at being a Hitler. Sounds like a good plan though. :)

Painting backwards is kind of a strange process in itself. It took a lot to get used to doing but I think I actually like doing it better than regular painting. It is much more forgiving. Also I have found I like painting on glass ... you can do the deal like erasing a chalk board if you don't like how something is going ;)

When you do your colors on the back use a sponge to blot your colors onto the plate.

The plates are gorgeous! I did plates last year for Christmas gifts and everyone thought they were purchased and didn't realize I painted them.

Mine were for decoration purposes only and I got the stands to put them on.

You need to pick up some of that Gallery glass stuff from Wm too. It's for painting windows to make them look like stained glass. I Love it! I spent probably 500 on it when it first came out on QVC. I had painted mirrors, glass panels, bathroom windows heck anything that was glass. You can also use it to make removable stickies like for Christmas or Halloween or you can make a pic and put it in your car. You just need to get the paint and a piece of mylar like you make wall stencils with.

Thanks I had planned on sponging them. I figured that painting them would be too think. I am guessing this is what you ran across as well?

I will have to look for some of the gallery glass. I looked last night for any kind of glass paint and I found nothing. Our walmart is crap to say the least lol. We are going back tonight because I have to see how many glass plates they have ... I need to buy 25 more (did a count today in my mind at school). So I am probably going to have to go to more than one Walmart.

I will take pictures when I get done. May line them up and take one big picture too lol. For no other reason but for my daughters benifit when she gets older and starts complaining about making things for her kids. That way I can say remember when lol :holiday10

As far as talent thank you. It really isn't that hard it is just tracing and painting in layers. It looked like it was going to be more difficult but I was pleasantly suprised that it was not as bad. Just takes a while to do.

My daughter came home and saw the backs because they were drying and got all excited. She thought they looked so cool. Which scares me lol I turned them over and she about fell out. I am glad they are turning out how she wanted them too. :holiday09

I should have known I needed to get started on teachers gifts or something Christmas craft wise. I am starting to get in the spirit now ... thank goodness!

:holiday01

Here are a few of the plates I did last year.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/sparkles62/dove.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/sparkles62/plate1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/sparkles62/plate3.jpg

I also did some picture frames.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/sparkles62/magnolia.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/sparkles62/cats.jpg

Very cool ... I love love love the magnolia! Was it a pattern or free hand? My grandma would adore the hummingbird! BTW how many coats did you put on the background color of the dove? Did your plates have a ring around them?

I put one coat on the plates and it was not thick enough so I put a second coat on them. I think I should have added more glitter as well lol. DH was like they aren't very sparkly and you tend to be the queen of sparkly ... what happened lol?

It was a pattern. I just wished I could do that good freehand! LOL

I only used one coat of paint.

On the sparkly dove and the magnolia I used white glitter fabric paint all over the plate then painted the dove solid white and then painted the blue on the background with craft paint from Walmart.

I also use paint pens around the edges of my plates it seems to make it go faster and easier. LOL

Glitter how much were your plate stands and where would you find something like that? Thinking about maybe adding those in with the gifts if I can find them reasonably cheap.

I cleaned our Walmart out of glass plates tonight. The lady that checked me out was like :insane: . Shelby told her what I was doing and she goes man that is a LOT of plates to paint. lol

Awesome job ms_mckenna!!! I love it!!!!!

and glitterstarr...that last pic with the cats made me tear up a bit. It looks like my 3 amigos. Vinny Peanut and Louie. I mean exactly. We just lost Louie this year :(

You both do fabulous work. Thanks for sharing.

OK guys I have a few done anyway. Tell me what color you like? Or if you like them better clear.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/christmastree066.jpg green

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/christmastree067.jpg gold

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/christmastree065.jpg white

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/christmastree068.jpgblue