Do you ever spend too much money trying to make everyone even?

brynnfromtheblock

I have 4 to make equal along with 2 Dec. birthdays,lol. I write everything I got on a piece of paper under each kids name and add it up. I don't worry about the number of presents much but since I get one big thing and the rest of the gifts are under $30 or so, it usually seems to even itself out. My DS (12 on the 28th) is getting more than 20 PS2 games and some Game Cube games so his pile of gifts will look small but that is all he asks for.

It's try to keep them money amount even with my kids. But the stack of presents is a sizable difference. Everything the 16 year old wanted was expensive, so he doesn't have that many gifts. Almost everything my 10 year old wanted was pretty cheap, so she has a much bigger stack.

Mine are not even for a couple of reasons. The baby (almost 9 months) is not getting nearly as many because she just doesn't need any more junk! I got her a few outfits, a few toys, and I was so desperate to give her "things" for the boys benefit that I bought her sippy cups that she'll be needing soon, lol.

Ds10 is getting a laptop, so his other gifts will be a lot more limited. He is also getting some nice outdoor clothes (a Mountain Hardwear jacket and hat, an Arc Teryx sweater, Patagonia undergarments) and a few other small things.

Ds5 is getting a mountain of toys, lol. I really need to weed out his room to get ready!

Ds10 also goes to his dad's and gets gifts there, so I don't feel bad at all that he has "less" gifts here. The kids think Santa splits his gifts between two places. The little one doesn't have a clue about the value of a dollar. The big one does and knows he makes out like a bandit. He'll be getting a PSP at dad's house along with a bunch of other stuff.