Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

How do you clean a screen to a HDTV 51/52 inch tv?

15 replies to this topic

#1 noehlp  OFFLINE  

noehlp

• 22,727 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 25, 2006 - 7:46 pm

Okay, I in no way am lucky enough to have a television this nice. But I have a friend that has a 51 or 52 inch HDTV television. She said the screen is not like a regular tv screen and glass-like. She described it as like a projection screen or something. They haven't had it long, and it is time to clean it. How does she go about cleaning? Does she spray anything directly on the screen? Help please. TIA

#2 abentley  ONLINE  

abentley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 7:16 am

Mine has a protective screen that glass cleaner is safe on, only when it is off. Might be worth asking if she has the protective screen on hers.

#3 scrabbler  OFFLINE  

scrabbler

Just Me

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 10:24 am

Before we bought our HDTV, the salesperson told me what to clean it with so we picked up some of that soon after. Now I use the same cleaner on my laptop, the computer monitors, and our other tvs. Doesn't take much and it cleans it safely and well. I think it is made by Monster and is screen cleaner. We got it at Best Buy.

#4 noehlp  OFFLINE  

noehlp

• 22,727 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 11:13 am

Mine has a protective screen that glass cleaner is safe on, only when it is off. Might be worth asking if she has the protective screen on hers.

I think she may not know if she has a screen cover on it or not. She did not buy it new.

I was thinking she could just use Windex/Glass Cleaner, but spray it on a rag and then wipe the screen. Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks so far by the way!

#5 ObiRich  ONLINE  

ObiRich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 12:41 pm

No Windex!!! And no regular glass cleaner. Nothing with amonia. You could get some "eyeglass" cleaner and use that, but anything else could/would damage the coatings on it. An even better idea...go to the manufacturer's website, see if you can find the manual to download, and see what they recommend.

#6 noehlp  OFFLINE  

noehlp

• 22,727 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 8:48 pm

No Windex!!! And no regular glass cleaner. Nothing with amonia. You could get some "eyeglass" cleaner and use that, but anything else could/would damage the coatings on it.

An even better idea...go to the manufacturer's website, see if you can find the manual to download, and see what they recommend.

Ack! I have been trying for about 1/2 an hour to find a site to search for this manual. Does anyone know how to find a manual? She said it is a GE HDTV, the model number is d52gwiz

TIA

#7 DeviousTrap  OFFLINE  

DeviousTrap

Ignore me, I'm a trap!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 9:13 pm

Ack! I have been trying for about 1/2 an hour to find a site to search for this manual. Does anyone know how to find a manual? She said it is a GE HDTV, the model number is d52gwiz

TIA

I'm going to say that you have the wrong model number. I'd expect to get at least one result if I put the number into google, and that gives me nothing :(

#8 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,995 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 9:26 pm

Personally, I would just use a damp microfiber cloth. It works just as good as anything else and is guaranteed to be safe.

#9 BigNate  OFFLINE  

BigNate

Ubermeister

• 5,154 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 6:40 am

Personally, I would just use a damp microfiber cloth.

It works just as good as anything else and is guaranteed to be safe.

I would be a little wary if you have hard water. Waterspots would stink.

#10 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,995 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 6:42 am

I would be a little wary if you have hard water. Waterspots would stink.

Good point. I always use filtered or distilled water.

Of course, waterspots can be fixed... removing a protective coating is a bit more difficult to repair.

#11 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 7:57 am

I would go the easy route and buy CRT monitor wipes from best buy, walmart, target, etc.

#12 bovichtj  OFFLINE  

bovichtj

BoilerMommy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 8:13 am

Personally, I would just use a damp microfiber cloth.

It works just as good as anything else and is guaranteed to be safe.

We have a 56" DLP, and this is what they recommend in our owner's manual... They even provided one microfiber cloth :)

Joanne

#13 Kubota  OFFLINE  

Kubota

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 29, 2006 - 7:01 pm

From Acer LCD Monitor Cleaning safety Don’t spray cleanser or water onto your LCD monitor or its case. When cleaning your LCD monitor, make sure that no liquid permeates into the inside of the LCD monitor or any accessory. Moisten a clean, soft, lint-free cloth with water or glass cleaner without alcohol. Squeeze it so it's just a little damp and wipe the surface of your LCD monitor gently. It is recommended to use a silk cloth that is exclusively used to clean the display.

#14 ckocurek  OFFLINE  

ckocurek

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 29, 2006 - 9:49 pm

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass cleaner. It can be obtained from most any auto supply store or Walmart etc in the auto dept. I use it on my Sony 65" projection screen and all of my lcd computer monitors. Works great, no streaks etc and is safe. I use a microfibre towel with it.

#15 kmbrly  OFFLINE  

kmbrly

Going in circles

• 2,668 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 29, 2006 - 10:03 pm

From the manual of a 52 inch HDTV users guide:

Care and Cleaning

CAUTION: Turn OFF your TV before cleaning

You can clean the TV as required, using a soft lint-free cloth. Be sure to occasionally dust the ventilation slots in the cabinet to help assure adequate ventilation.

The TV's screen may be cleaned with a soft, lint-free cloth as well. Take care not to scratch or mar the screen. If necessary, you may use a cloth dampened with warm water. Never use strong cleaning agents, such as ammonia-based cleaners, or abrasive powder. These types of cleaners will damage the TV.

While cleaning do not spray liquid directly on the screen or allow liquid to run down the screen and inside the TV. Also, never place drinks or bases with water on top of the TV. This could increase the risk of fire or shock hazard or damage to the TV.

#16 laffnatu  OFFLINE  

laffnatu

• 4,252 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 30, 2006 - 3:07 am

. She said the screen is not like a regular tv screen and glass-like. She described it as like a projection screen or something. They haven't had it long, and it is time to clean it.

TIA

Definitely tell her to be careful. Our old tv didn't have screen on it either. It's really hard to clean it with the little raised up grooves. I learned the hard way after I made a mark near the bottom of the screen.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users