How many presents for Xmas?

littlemama

How many gifts to do you give each child for Christmas?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. How many gifts to do you give each child for Christmas?

• 1-3 gifts +stocking stuffers
    • 3-6 gifts +stocking stuffers
    • 6-10 gifts +stocking stuffers
    • 10-15 gifts +stocking stuffers
    • 15 or more +stocking stuffers

My older 2 are getting things like laptops, cars, and stuff... so they don't get as many. But since my DH likes to wait until the very end for the big suprise.. we have to get them "filler" gifts so they are opening stuff and not wise to the big finish. The little ones are my stress because now they are old enough to realize that they shouldn't ask for the same video games or toys, knowing we get them all.

I went over board last year for my daughter and she has stuff that she never got to play with. I got her a bike for Christmas, she sat on the seat and when her feet didn't touch

the pedals I took it back. She never missed it. This year, the limit is three because of

the major item she's getting. Last year's unused gifts get donated. That way I can help

make someone else's Christmas brighter and she'll start appreciating spirit of the holiday

more.:fluffy:

When they were little and now that they're grown, we still get them one real nice gift in the

$l00 range or less and then 3-5 gifts like slacks, shirts, etc. I also fill a stocking for each member of our family and inlaws with candy and a book or movie they like. These were kids raised on "thriftstore and garage sale" christmas presents, so they're easy to buy for.

It varies year to year, but this is a much better for me and my family so the kids will see a few more. They each get the same number plus a stocking. I may do one or two more expensive items as joint gifts this time, since they both like a lit of the same things.

My good fortune also means I'll be able to share more this year with the less fortunate and I'm especially happy about that :)

I have one child who will turn 1 on dec 26 so he will get lots of presents. We are planning to seperate xmas and bd but still lots of presents for xmas. So far we have purchased at least 15 and still lots more shopping to do. I feel guilty but then again I don't.

The first two years when we had only one child I went nuts and soon realized we were wasting money... I mean, a toy gets played with one or two times and gets abandoned for another. Then the next year comes and all the toys from the previous year are no longer wanted. Not to mention that we just don't have enough ROOM for all of these toys.

The year my second child was born, I got an idea from a friend of mine who is a fellow mom. She was trying to come up with ways to emphasize the story of Christmas into all aspects of the holiday, so she started a rule of 3, so to speak. Baby Jesus was given 3 gifts by 3 Wise Men, so Santa does the same for the good little boys in our house. Each boy gets 3 gifts from Santa (1 of these is a big "joint" gifts for both of them). To carry over the idea, DH and I get 3 gifts for each boy. They give one gift to each other... a small one they pick out themselves. They get so many other toys from extended family that they don't need anything more.

We have 2 children ages 11 and 6 and this is what we do for them. Around November, I give them a piece of paper with this saying on it and then they fill out what they want. I tell them to put a couple idea's down in each section so Santa can pick.

Something you want-

Something you need-

Something you wear-

Something to read-

And then everyone gets a stocking with little dollar store items and candy to open up while I get breakfast around.

Tina

30 plus gifts is the usual for my daughter. It took her so long to open all her presents last year the tape in our video camera ran out! lol! We average about $800 worth of stuff, it just depends on her list. Our living room looks like we have 10 kids instead of two. Our son is grown so he doesn't get alot but his cost more and he was an only child for along time and he says now it's his sisters turn!

They usually get between 15 and 20. Even when we didn't have a lot of money to spend on our oldest, it would fall in that range...the gifts were just smaller. I dread when the gifts are over $100 a piece as he gets older! We do not have any family that buys for them.

Oldest son's most expensive thing this year will be his train table at $75. He is getting 3 toys in $30-50 range (desk, some type of learning computer I haven't figured out yet and the shake and go speedway), and then everything else is stuff under $20 (movies, trains, Cars movie stuff). The baby's most expensive things will be the TMX Elmo (if I can find one), the Elmo tool bench and Bounce and Spin Zebra.

12-15...

This year they are each getting 15... their 3 bigger ones will be set up and 12 will be wrapped. Plus their big gift (Sesame Street Bouncer) will be set up in the basement and will be the last thing they see...

Plus, stockings.

My daughters first Christmas I bought her like 30 presents. LOL!

I think 15 presents/child is a good number for us. We would like to have 3 more children... so eventually any more than 15'ish presents each would be way too much for Christmas morning! LOL!

~ Erin (23 y/o SAHM to 3 cuties ages 3 and under)

I went WAY OVERBOARD with my first also! She got so wrapped up in each present, that I'd have to coax her to open the next and she would've been fine with less! But, you learn...and now there's her brother to get gifts for too! With an almost 5yo and 2yo, about 8 each and I ~TRY~ to stay equal on the spending but I really pay attention to items they talk about all year and really want

How many gifts do you give your kids for Christmas? Where do you draw the line? I'm only asking bc my son is 2 now, and he is starting to realize the whole gift getting thing. My sister goes way overboard I think, giving her kids like 20 gifts each.

Hmmm, well this is a tough one...I have a set budget of $100.00 per kid, and I shop year round for "deals" so the amount of gifts is different for all of them. When you have 4 grandkids and 3 kids and the spouses it is important to shop year round. *LOL*

The year my second child was born, I got an idea from a friend of mine who is a fellow mom. She was trying to come up with ways to emphasize the story of Christmas into all aspects of the holiday, so she started a rule of 3, so to speak. Baby Jesus was given 3 gifts by 3 Wise Men, so Santa does the same for the good little boys in our house. Each boy gets 3 gifts from Santa (1 of these is a big "joint" gifts for both of them). To carry over the idea, DH and I get 3 gifts for each boy. They give one gift to each other... a small one they pick out themselves. They get so many other toys from extended family that they don't need anything more.

I really wish I had done this when my children were little.

I also like this that Tina suggested:

Something you want-

Something you need-

Something you wear-

Something to read-

As it stands now each child has 5 gifts and a Wii to share with 9 games I still have two more to go for each of them but we also got a family gift of that 32" Westy from BB. Stuffers + a few little things for my youngest ds will round it out.

I feel cheap next some of you...wow and I thought I over did it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm feeling like I went a little overboard this year. I'm finished with all of the Christmas shopping and wrapping will be done with the next UPS delivery. Each child will have 14 gifts plus stocking stuffers.

I thought that was a bit much so I started looking at the list that I kept but couldn't find a way to narrow it down any. Some are clothes that they need, others are things for their rooms since we will be remodeling those next year, then they each got an ipod, and then some miscellaneous "fun" stuff like board games, books, magic tricks, and cologne / perfume.

I just feel guilty because I know that there are a lot of people out there who won't have anything to open on Christmas morning. We've donated new toys to the Salvation Army this year, and our church, gloves and socks and canned goods for those types of drives, but I still feel a little guilty for over indulging.

Does anyone else ever feel bad about buying so much?

My kids have 16 each under the tree.. not planned, but I keep pulling out more stuff everywhere I look. it's all stuff I've accumulated, or more great deals. If I keep this up, I think I'll have to ask GD Brad to ban me, so DH Brad doesn't kill me!!!

Plus, everything I didn't want to wrap went in their 4 foot stockings, and now they are out of room!

My 5 year old is getting the most because none of his are really expensive. He had a couple of $30-$40 items, including the Roboreptile. That will be his "big" gift because it's expensive and LARGE, even if I did get a good deal on it. The baby's big gift will be the Roll Around Dinosaur thing that her brothers have been saying for months that she would love. She is getting a few other things, but mostly stuff she'd be needing anyway and then a few small toys. She's 9 months old, so she won't be able to handle opening a lot. The stuff she's getting is more for her brothers' benefit. Santa is bringing her stuff like princess sippy cups, lol. My 10 year old, on the other hand, is getting a laptop. He has a writing disability and this is something I've wanted to get him for a long time and his teachers are very pleased because hopefully it will help him educationally. His other presents consist of some clothes (he needs and I'd have to buy anyway) and a board game, along with some stocking stuffers. I may cave and get him a DS game for his stocking. ;) Oh yeah, I did get them both Cars sheets from Disney and their baby sister is getting them both the Hot Wheels Radar guns that they've been drooling over. She always picks the best presents. :tongue1: