Any deals on big screens?

Merryg

I just bought this Panasonic 53' from Sears last night. They did price match immediately for me. They will sale it for $1300 on Black Friday and the price matched it from $1500. So, I get another $22 off the $1300. I also have a coupon of $30. The final price is $1248.

Akai is a rebadged Samsung.

BTW, those of you trying to pricematch Sears' price to Compusa's, the model numbers are different. Sears has the Panasonic 53x54, Compusa has the 53Wx53. Similar specs, but the 53x54 is the newest and has a few newer features (HDMI vs DVI, new style, etc.).

if you go wed panny on sale wed ONLY AT compusa for 999.99 pricematch this to sears..if you also can find a 10% off you could get this tv for 850 or so plus tax WED ONLY

it is a 53 inch widescreen

PT-53X54

I might actually try this tonight but there is one big catch.

If Sears calls CompUSA to see if it's in stock, the answer is probably NO :rant:

What reviews, and for which tv?

From my limited knowledge, Toshiba and Hitachi have the best picture quality. The Toshiba that Best Buy's going to have on sale even has a feature where it'll change the brightness based on the light in the room (so it'll make the picture brigher in daylight to compensate, and darker at night). Pretty cool.

I don't know the model number of the Akai Compusa is substituting, (neither do they). The closest one to me is out of stock of both the Panasonic and the Akai, but agreed to let me order the Akai for the $999 price. Akai is just a Samsung with a different name slapped on. I "think" the Akai they have is the same as the 55" at Sam's, which comes with a DVI port (if you're at Sam's, make sure it comes with DVI, last year's model didn't and they may still have the older stock). This particular TV got pretty decent reviews. Everyone agreed it was a great deal for $1300. For $1000, it's a steal.

So the Akai CompUSA is substituting is better than the Panasonic?

It probably was, yes. They didn't have the exact specs, but there's only two 55" Akai TVs that I am aware of, and they're virtually the same except this year's model has dvi. It's just a rebadged Samsung.

Several people have said that some Sam's Clubs were clearancing these out for $900. I called around all the local Sam's Clubs until I found one that said they had that model for $900. I get there and it's actually a 54" standard screen (not widescreen). Completely different model. The price tag they had, though stating 54", had the model number of the better 55" which is supposed to be $1300. Since I had to drive over 1 1/2 hours to pick up that tv, after confirming the model number, they went ahead and let me have the 55" for $900. Others may not be so lucky. Before you go and get one of the $900 special deals, make sure it's a 55" widescreen, else you're just paying the regular price for a cheaper tv.