>>> Official Black Friday DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

That $200 mark makes my Best Buy Bucks sense tingle. :smirk: Do I smell a fellow user? :P

It's still hard to say just how much a 'puter with those specs is gonna be this year. My guess is BB wold have one that matches that for just about the $200-300 range and you might get lucky with a 64-bit processor. Non-dual core, of course. And you can always upgrade the memory to the 512MB mark. Should be good enough for WOW with a minor AGP graphics card upgrade. :D

I am alsoo shopping for a desktop this year. My budget is under $500, and I need something that does NOT use integrated graphics, and can handle WoW. I am currently using a 4 year old gateway (ugh) with a 20g HD. I got accepted into WoW beta testing, and my HD doesnt even have room! lol. I have exactly 512 mb of free space. Cant even run a defrag, lol. I dont need a monitor, my 19" CRT is just fine. Dont need dual cores, but it would be a special little bonus if it was possible :) Whaddaya think?

I am alsoo shopping for a desktop this year. My budget is under $500, and I need something that does NOT use integrated graphics, and can handle WoW. I am currently using a 4 year old gateway (ugh) with a 20g HD. I got accepted into WoW beta testing, and my HD doesnt even have room! lol. I have exactly 512 mb of free space. Cant even run a defrag, lol. I dont need a monitor, my 19" CRT is just fine. Dont need dual cores, but it would be a special little bonus if it was possible :) Whaddaya think?

It's definately possible. :D Especially for abot $500 without a monitor. You're probably not gonna be gettin' a fancy dual-core processor, but perhaps a single core, 64-bit one which is good for gaming. Most likely you'll have to upgrade the video card as just about any desktop comes pre-equiped with integrated video nowdays. :yuck: Just make sure it has an open PCI-Express slot.

How exactly did 'ya get accepted into WOW beta testing?

I think that people use way to many initials on these boards.

Maybe, but it's soo much easier than typing things in completely. :D

When referring to gaming, WoW means "World of Warcraft". It's an MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) that's incredibly popular and gets other games modified off of it a lot.

Ladies and germs :tongue1:, without further ado, I give you ...

the BF 2006 Desktop Chart!

Lemme know what y'all think of the format for all the information. I'm tryin' to squeeze everything so it all fits on your screens. So 'ya know, anything left blank equals unknown information or info I couldn't find. Usually I get the detailed info from the manufacturer's website, but certain info sometimes isn't available. So far the chart only has the computer from the OfficeMax ad, but soon as more ads show up I'll update (I'll do my best to update it ASAP) and post here. I've also asked Brad to put up a link at the front of the thread so everyone has access to it.

Enjoy!

It's definately possible. :D Especially for abot $500 without a monitor. You're probably not gonna be gettin' a fancy dual-core processor, but perhaps a single core, 64-bit one which is good for gaming. Most likely you'll have to upgrade the video card as just about any desktop comes pre-equiped with integrated video nowdays. :yuck: Just make sure it has an open PCI-Express slot.

How exactly did 'ya get accepted into WOW beta testing?

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid buying a seperate video card, but it looks like I may have to :( As for Beta testing, i got a random email invite :) I have to say, its good stuff! :)

I think that people use way to many initials on these boards.

LOL!

Maybe, but it's soo much easier than typing things in completely.

When referring to gaming, WoW means "World of Warcraft". It's an MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) that's incredibly popular and gets other games modified off of it a lot.

QFT :P

Ladies and germs :tongue1:, without further ado, I give you ...

the BF 2006 Desktop Chart!

Lemme know what y'all think of the format for all the information. I'm tryin' to squeeze everything so it all fits on your screens. So 'ya know, anything left blank equals unknown information or info I couldn't find. Usually I get the detailed info from the manufacturer's website, but certain info sometimes isn't available. So far the chart only has the computer from the OfficeMax ad, but soon as more ads show up I'll update (I'll do my best to update it ASAP) and post here. I've also asked Brad to put up a link at the front of the thread so everyone has access to it.

Enjoy!

Stationchief,

Once again...outstanding work again this year.

I will definitely be using this chart for my purchase decision this year :eyepoppin

My son wants a computer this xmas but it needs to be able to play the latest and greatest games like "Battlefield 2142" and "Command & Conquer Tiberian Wars."

I'm confused about "integrated graphics" and shared memory and video cards. Will a system like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8007435&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050049&id=1155848397598

from Best Buy be able to play the high end games listed above? I know the AMD 64 X2 3800 processor and the 1GB of RAM will handle the games fine but I'm not sure about this:

"NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics with PCI Express x16 expansion slot and up to 128MB shared video memory"

Is there an actual video card in there? Will I need to buy a video card? Don't these games require a specific type of video card? Please help, I'm so confused. :confused:

My son wants a computer this xmas but it needs to be able to play the latest and greatest games like "Battlefield 2142" and "Command & Conquer Tiberian Wars."

I'm confused about "integrated graphics" and shared memory and video cards. Will a system like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8007435&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050049&id=1155848397598

from Best Buy be able to play the high end games listed above? I know the AMD 64 X2 3800 processor and the 1GB of RAM will handle the games fine but I'm not sure about this:

"NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics with PCI Express x16 expansion slot and up to 128MB shared video memory"

Is there an actual video card in there? Will I need to buy a video card? Don't these games require a specific type of video card? Please help, I'm so confused. :confused:

Nope, everything should be sufficient except the video card. That computer has integrated graphics which basically 'share' the system memory (ram) which is 128mb for that model. That computer does have an available PCI express slot for a dedicated video card which is necessary to play today's latest and greatest games. Personally, I'd buy the best video card I can afford. :)

Don't be. It's just a little overwhelming.

Basically, what those specs are saying is that the graphics that it comes shipped with is not a physical graphics card, but what's called 'onboard graphics', in this case a GeForce 6150 LE graphics chip on the motherboard that takes a selectable amount from 32, 64, or 128MB of the 1 GB of system memory instead of using it's own physical memory.

There is an open PCI Express x16 slot for a physical graphics card to replace the onboard graphics with. Actually, the 6150 LE should be sufficient to play most games , but for the die-hard gamer that wants to tweak the graphics to the max I'd strongly suggest getting a separate graphics card with an absolute minimum of 256MB graphics memory and is DirectX 9 compatable.

Let's look. For example, Battlefield 2142 requires "minimum 128 MB video card supporting 1.4 shaders (ATI Radeon 8500 / NVIDIA FX 5700 or above), DirectX Compliant". This computer we're discussing meets that requirement as-is, since NVidia's Geforce 6150 is better than the NVidia FX 5700 (note the higher number), so it's fine to play. However, you'd have to set the game to it's minimal graphics rendering settings without getting a PCI-E gaphics card. To play the game with better color, higher screen resolution, and faster frame rate that'll satisfy a die hard gamer, you'll definately need a separate PCI-E graphics card.

Can anyone provide more info. about the desktop?

Does anyone know the specific specs for the Best Buy desktop the ad picture they have stinks.

Until someone gets a clearer scan of the ad, no one will be able to answer that. I'll try to hunt the specifics on all the BB computers down, but it's tough without a lot of minimal specs on the computer itself much less no model numbers to go off of.

Basically, what those specs are saying is that the graphics that it comes shipped with is not a physical graphics card, but what's called 'onboard graphics', in this case a GeForce 6150 LE graphics chip on the motherboard that takes a selectable amount from 32, 64, or 128MB of the 1 GB of system memory instead of using it's own physical memory.

There is an open PCI Express x16 slot for a physical graphics card to replace the onboard graphics with. Actually, the 6150 LE should be sufficient to play most games , but for the die-hard gamer that wants to tweak the graphics to the max I'd strongly suggest getting a separate graphics card with an absolute minimum of 256MB graphics memory and is DirectX 9 compatable.

Let's look. For example, Battlefield 2142 requires "minimum 128 MB video card supporting 1.4 shaders (ATI Radeon 8500 / NVIDIA FX 5700 or above), DirectX Compliant". This computer we're discussing meets that requirement as-is, since NVidia's Geforce 6150 is better than the NVidia FX 5700 (note the higher number), so it's fine to play. However, you'd have to set the game to it's minimal graphics rendering settings without getting a PCI-E gaphics card. To play the game with better color, higher screen resolution, and faster frame rate that'll satisfy a die hard gamer, you'll definately need a separate PCI-E graphics card.

Thanks Stationchief, that clears things up considerably. Guess I'll start looking at Newegg for a PCI-E graphics card that has at least 256mb.

Yikes, there are 345 PCI-E at Newegg to choose from!! :eek: Any recommendations on one that won't break the bank?

Thanks Stationchief, that clears things up considerably. Guess I'll start looking at Newegg for a PCI-E graphics card that has at least 256mb.

Yikes, there are 345 PCI-E at Newegg to choose from!! :eek: Any recommendations on one that won't break the bank?

All depends on your budget. If I could, I'd get one of those Quadro FX dual monitor ones myself, but I just don't have an extra couple o' grand to throw away. :eyepoppin

Seriously, if it's for gaming, look at the 512MB cards and sort by most popular on Newegg. Look at some reviews, too. I don't think top of the line cards should break your budget much farther than about $400 or so. The most popular thing these days is to take not just one, but two cards in two PCI-E slots and run 'em together like a dual-core graphics processor. :cheesy: But, then again, I'm not really into all that stuff. I'm more of a classic gamer. ;)

All depends on your budget. If I could, I'd get one of those Quadro FX dual monitor ones myself, but I just don't have an extra couple o' grand to throw away. :eyepoppin

Seriously, if it's for gaming, look at the 512MB cards and sort by most popular on Newegg. Look at some reviews, too. I don't think top of the line cards should break your budget much farther than about $400 or so. The most popular thing these days is to take not just one, but two cards in two PCI-E slots and run 'em together like a dual-core graphics processor. :cheesy: But, then again, I'm not really into all that stuff. I'm more of a classic gamer. ;)

Thanks again. I'll watch the BF ads. Staples, Best Buy, or somebody should have a good deal on a video card. I'll have to double check but I think I remember seeing an ATI 256mb card for $99 on Best Buy's BF ad.

Thanks again. I'll watch the BF ads. Staples, Best Buy, or somebody should have a good deal on a video card. I'll have to double check but I think I remember seeing an ATI 256mb card for $99 on Best Buy's BF ad.

There's a 512MB ATI card for $99. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to get that to go in the $189 desktop.

There's a 512MB ATI card for $99. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to get that to go in the $189 desktop.

Yea, that's the one - $99. No way I'm buying an E-machine, though. Plus I want to get a nice big LCD screen.

No problems mixing an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics chipset with an ATI Radeon card is there?

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7634/7634795_ra.jpg

Video Memory 512MB

Interface Slot Type PCI Express

Type of Processor ATI RADEON X1600

Number of Processors 1

Clock Speed of Video Memory (RAMDAC) 400MHz

Maximum 2D Resolution (at 32-bit color) Up to 2048 x 1536

Maximum 3D Resolution (at 32-bit color) Up to 2048 x 1536

Megapixels/Megatexels 8000 megatextels

Number of Polygons per Second 625 million

Supports MPEG-1, 2 Yes

DVD Decoding Yes

TV-Out Yes

Stereo Sound Yes

S-Video Output Yes

Video Format MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV9, DivX, DVD

System Requirements 512MB system memory; PCI Express x16 slot; CD-ROM drive; 350-watt power supply

No problems mixing an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics chipset with an ATI Radeon card is there?

Video Memory 512MB

Interface Slot Type PCI Express

Type of Processor ATI RADEON X1600

System Requirements 512MB system memory; PCI Express x16 slot; CD-ROM drive; 350-watt power supply

As long as you get the right interface, it shouldn't be a problem. In the above case, make sure your motherboard has an PCI Express slot before you buy it.