Mystery Shopping ~ General Discussion and Q & A Thread

THIS IS A SCAM! Fraudsters have been using the names of legitimate mystery shopping companies for awhile now, in the hopes that you will trust the name sufficiently to follow their instructions. If you go ahead and cash it, your bank will contact you as soon as it is discovered that the check is a fake, and you will be liable for the full amount.

If you receive one of these checks, don't destroy it -- it is evidence that could help the authorities track these crooks. Any and all of the following would like to hear from you:

Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.ic3.gov/

Federal Trade Commission

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

United States Postal Inspection Service http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

http://www.occ.gov/customer.htm

This information comes from the owner of a site devoted to mystery shopping, and is completely reliable.

Thank you to everyone who responded. You just confirmed my opinion. I didn't know if I was allowed to post the company's name on the thread. The company also has a website listed in the paperwork. If I am allowed to post details, I will. Just let me know. Oh and thank you ladybugg for the websites to report. I am going to check them out now.

Thank you to everyone who responded. You just confirmed my opinion. I didn't know if I was allowed to post the company's name on the thread. The company also has a website listed in the paperwork. If I am allowed to post details, I will. Just let me know. Oh and thank you ladybugg for the websites to report. I am going to check them out now.

Yes. please do post the information. In fact, could you please start a new thread? Make the thread title the name of the company that tried to rip you off. Then give all the information you have in the first post. Having the company name as the thread title will make it much easier and faster to find the information when searching. If you need help please let me know. Please give all the details you have. It will help potentially thousands of people.

Thank so much for sharing, Again, Welcome.

mmm40x

Wow Ladybugg1, I am glad you trusted your instincts. Maybe you will help bring them down!

I've only been signed up here for a couple of weeks now, but I am so impressed with how helpful everyone is to each other. It kind of restores my faith in my fellow human beings. I have become so cynical in the last few years it seems like people have quit caring for each other and it's so nice to see the comraderie on these boards. :cheesy:

Cheryl

I got a letter like you did. I will have to check and see if its the same company. My husband wanted me to take it to our bank and deposit the check I told him no way with what I had seen on GottaDeal I made him read some of the posts and he finally agreed not to cash it or put it in our account.

• 2 months later...

I need some advice from mystery shoppers that work in Greene County in Missouri. Could you please direct me to the companies that have a lot of work for you in this area? From what I have seen so far, there just isn'' that'''t much at all. Please help. I am searching for a woman that deperately needs to make money so Santa will come. Please PM me with company names, If you can'''t pm yet post and tell me that and I will smd my email addy. Two yeas in a row her

family was not picked from the angel tree.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Have A Hapy Joyous Year!

• 1 month later...
Can somebody please give me some practical tips on mystery shopping, I signed up on two legit mystery shopping sites and they sent me email to let me know that their are several mystery shops available for me but I felt uneasy, I'm kinda scared that I will fail the expectations when I submit the report. I would like to know your experience on your first time.

• 2 weeks later...
O.K. Here goes, I'm not sure i am in the right thread but I'm still new at this so i will do the best i can. Speaking of mystery shopping about 2 weeks ago i got a letter saying they were a reputable co. called A.P. customer service evaluation inc. best source for secret shopper employment. They said my name had been selected from there data bank to be a secret shopper for them, also in the letter was a check for 2,490 dollars it explained what my first ass. would be and for me to deposit the check in my bank account. I was to buy something from JC Penny and something from walmart for 50.00 each 210 was to be mine and the other were to be for money grams they would inform me later how to do it. And trust me the check was as authentic looking as any i have ever seen. But i took it to my bank and they would not deposit it in my account and said that it was probably fradulent.so i get home and call them the lady was supposed to call mt bank and call me back. she never did. I tried calling her back last night, and said that person could not be reached at this time. I was just wandering if anyone else has ever got any thing like this and from who. Appreciate any kind of info.:)

O.K. Here goes, I'm not sure i am in the right thread but I'm still new at this so i will do the best i can. Speaking of mystery shopping about 2 weeks ago i got a letter saying they were a reputable co. called A.P. customer service evaluation inc. best source for secret shopper employment. They said my name had been selected from there data bank to be a secret shopper for them, also in the letter was a check for 2,490 dollars it explained what my first ass. would be and for me to deposit the check in my bank account. I was to buy something from JC Penny and something from walmart for 50.00 each 210 was to be mine and the other were to be for money grams they would inform me later how to do it. And trust me the check was as authentic looking as any i have ever seen. But i took it to my bank and they would not deposit it in my account and said that it was probably fradulent.so i get home and call them the lady was supposed to call mt bank and call me back. she never did. I tried calling her back last night, and said that person could not be reached at this time. I was just wandering if anyone else has ever got any thing like this and from who. Appreciate any kind of info.:)

DO NOT DEPOSIT THE CHECK!! It is a scam. There was another thread where someone got one like this too.

I found it. Here it is: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=82449&highlight=mspa

Listen to MandaJo. Also, no legitimate survey or research company randomly solicit people to work For Them! When your local Target is in need of people, does the manager grab the telephone book, the telephone and then randomly call people and say "Hello, This is Ray. I'm the manager at the downtown Target. We are hiring. Do you want to come for us?"

It sounds silly doesn't it? It's the same for surveys and research companies on the net.

Can somebody please give me some practical tips on mystery shopping, I signed up on two legit mystery shopping sites and they sent me email to let me know that their are several mystery shops available for me but I felt uneasy, I'm kinda scared that I will fail the expectations when I submit the report. I would like to know your experience on your first time.

All I can tell you is to make sure you read ALL the shop requirements several times before you go. Walk through the shop in your head before you go. Take a small pad of paper that you can later jot down any notes you think you'll need (just be sure you aren't seen...go to the bathroom or something).

Ask your coordinator to show you a sample or old secret shop report so you have an idea of how detailed they want you to be.

I've seen lots of people get their shops disqualified for not following the rules; ie not going to the right register, buying the wrong thing, going to the wrong store, etc These are simple things you can do just by making sure you read and understand the directions.

I was terribly nervous my first time, and still am on occasion with a totally new shop, but you get in to a rhythm and figure it out fairly quickly. You'll also know if this is for you or not...but give yourself a couple of months until you make that decision.

My daughter recommends mysteryshops.com. But I'm still very leery of giving my SSN to anyone even if they are a reputable business. I guess I've heard too many stories. Does anyone think I'm overreacting here?

If you are employed by a mystery shopping organization you do have to give you ss# as part of your employment.

However if you are not sure of the validity of an organization, I would not do so.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in getting started these are good, solid companies to begin registering with. You should NEVER have to pay a fee to anyone to mystery shop. They pay you. These companies are all members of the Mystery Shoppers Provider Assn. which is very legit. You won't get rich but enjoy some free food and other goodies.

http://www.mysteryshop.org/shoppers/membercos.php

http://www.mysteryshop.org/shoppers/

PG County, MD

New Home Sales Mystery Shoppers

Reply to:>[email protected]

Growing New Home Sales Mystery Shopping Company is seeking individuals who love to look at new homes.

We will provide you with a hidden camera. You will be required to write a report as well. We will provide training.

This is for weekday's only. Only respond if you are available during the weekday's. Please be proficient in Word.

* Compensation: $85 per shop plus mileage

• 1 month later...
I am considering the mystery shopping world. I've read a couple of threads on the site so far I still can't figure out if Shadow Shoppers is a good company. Some how I got on their email list. I have been receiving emails from to join. Thoughts???

I am considering the mystery shopping world. I've read a couple of threads on the site so far I still can't figure out if Shadow Shoppers is a good company. Some how I got on their email list. I have been receiving emails from to join. Thoughts???

I've been getting emails from them and I don't know how either:confused:! Any info on them would be great....

I've read alot of mixed reviews about Shadow Shoppers - the deciding factor for me was the nonrefundable yearly fee. There is no gurantee that paying it will get better mystery shopping assignments.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about Shadow Shoppers - the deciding factor for me was the nonrefundable yearly fee. There is no gurantee that paying it will get better mystery shopping assignments.

Never, ever pay to mystery shop, take part in surveys, research projects or focus groups!!! If they charge a fee they are scamming you! You may want to read the "Survey 101, General Discussion And Q & A" thread here:

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=46428

There is a lot of helpful information there. Also, there are tons of legitimate mystery shopping companies posted about in this forum. Simply do a search for "Mystery Shopping Companies" A lot of threads will pop up. See here:

http://forums.gottadeal.com/search.php?searchid=1076647

Every single company, project, focus group, survey and mystery shopping company posted in this forum is legitimate. Unless, of course. it was posted to warn people that they are scamming people. We keep all projects by a company in a single thread devoted to that company. This is so we can all share feedback about our experience with a company and we can know what kind of a company we will be dealing with, before we choose to involve ourselves with them. If you are looking for information on a company search for the company name. There is a good chance they have their own thread. You can then gather information by reading the posts in that thread. If you find that a company you know about and/or want information about, start a thread with the company name as the title then post any information or questions you may have. Please post a link to their website.

There are many seasoned survey participants, mystery shoppers, focus group participants. etc. that use this forum. Any one of us will be more than happy to help you out if we can. If what you need can't be found here (not very likely) we will do our best to find the information and post it here,

Read the threads. Ask questions. We will lend a hand whenever we can.

Good Luck!!!

Edited by mmm40
Addition

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

So my brother applied to one of the mystery shopping places. This man did an interview and everything. My bro. sent in everything for "tax purposes", and this man said he was going to send him a check. He sent him one for 2600.00 and told him to go to Walmart and spend 100.00. After this, he told him to send the rest of the money back until he could find more work, but to Western Union it. He did and the check was bad, his account is neg. 2600.00. He called this man and he said it was a Cashiers check and should have been good. It was a cashiers check, but with no signature making it bad. The bank said they can not do anything because this check was from Canada.

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im soooooooo mad at this man. Be careful, if it is a job you can not physically go to their office,,,,,,, ITS A SCAM,,, Im more mad at my bro. for being so stupid

Edited by mmm40

Stick with the mystery shopping companies listed here. They are all legit.

As fas as having to go to their office for it to be legitimate; that simply is not true.

Edited by mmm40

When you go to the main page for shoppers there is a warning about scams. Do your research. Not all companies are scams. Never, Ever pay to mystery shop, take part in surveys, focus groups, telephone research or for programs offering to "help" or "teach" you how to get involved in them.

http://www.mystiqueshopper.com/shopper.html

Edited by mmm40

• 2 years later...
I'm interested in starting mystery shopping. I did sign up for Market Force and did an Ace Hardware. I'm looking for a group that does the fun stores like Macys, Target, Kmarts, Sears,... & some restaurants other than McDonalds. What groups are you guys using?

I'm interested in starting mystery shopping. I did sign up for Market Force and did an Ace Hardware. I'm looking for a group that does the fun stores like Macys, Target, Kmarts, Sears,... & some restaurants other than McDonalds. What groups are you guys using?

Check out this thread http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?112740-Links-to-Mystery-Shopping-Companies