Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Should I buy the ipod extended warranty?

8 replies to this topic

#1 deals4holly  OFFLINE  

deals4holly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 28, 2006 - 3:22 am

As a rule, I never buy extended warranties. I've heard so often that they are not worth it. My son wants an ipod (and only an ipod). I've tried to read reviews on different sites, and it seems ipods have many problems with freezing and battery life. I'm wondering if this time the extended warranty would be worth it. Also...If I purchase it, would you recommend 2 yr from Apple or 3 yr from Best Buy (same price--$60) Finally, when I tried to search these forums before asking this question, I found a link to refurb models sold through Apple. I would also appreciate any opinions about this option. Thanks!

#2 Jennifer0530  OFFLINE  

Jennifer0530

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 28, 2006 - 5:26 am

My personal opinion would be to buy the warranty from Apple. With the warranty from Apple you also get phone support from them where with the one from Best Buy you don't. So if you have a problem with the Ipod and call Apple but have the Best Buy warranty it's like $45 per half hour or something like that (a woman I work with told me this). Yes they do have problems with freezing up and battery life, atleast everyone I know who has bought one has these problems. Another problem is you will only be able to use one compter for downloading music and transferring CD's onto the Ipod.

Now if I was making the decision, I would buy him a Creative 8GB Zen MicroPhoto. Shown here http://www.creative....4&product=14107 I have one of these and I am so happy that I went with this instead. It has a FM radio, Voice recorder, it holds a lot more songs, and it comes in 10 colors so he can get the color that matches his personality. Depending on what color he wants you will have to order it online because all the store I went to (Best Buy, Staples, Walmart, Target, Circuit City) only carried the Dark Blue and Silver. It's something to think about!

#3 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,946 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 28, 2006 - 5:58 am

I like the Creative players as well, but it would depend on "which" ipod he wants. You may have to go to the Vision:M for the equivalent of the ipod video. That being said, it is sometimes difficult to convince someone that is set on a particular model of something else. Apple makes good hardware, and you really can't go wrong going with them. I would also get the Apple warranty if you are interested in one. Also, keep in mind that some platinum cards will double your warranty if you purchase with that card. Check in to that first to see if it is an option for you.

#4 conj  OFFLINE  

conj

WHats My function, you ask?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 28, 2006 - 6:02 am

I would vote to get the extended warranty, and from Apple. With a device such as this that is portable, the opportunities for something to go wrong are much greater than ... say, a TV. I don't know the details of the coverage, but BB is usually not worth the extended warranties.

#5 Ravenseye  OFFLINE  

Ravenseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 28, 2006 - 4:29 pm

I bought an iPod just before Christmas last year, and did not get the warranty. My iPod lasted a whole month and a half before the hard drive in it died a horrible death....all by itself. I set up an appointment at the local mac store, talked to one of the mac techies and they handed me a brand new one about ten minutes into the apointment. iPods are covered under a 90, or a 180 day warranty, and your local mac store, the bright one that blinds ya as you go by, can help you with it. If you want the extra assurance of the mac service plan, go ahead and get it. I'd recommend it if a kids gonna be using it, he'll break it eventually. -Mike

#6 icanhabsum  OFFLINE  

icanhabsum

A-OK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 29, 2006 - 12:57 pm

use Amex and get the warranty doubled automatically =)

#7 cthulhu  OFFLINE  

cthulhu

Yaaarrrrr!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 29, 2006 - 1:25 pm

Go with the Apple warranty. I've to many bad things about bb warranties. Visa either doubles or adds 1 year to the warranty. I don't remember for sure. I used my visa when I bought my 700m for that reason. Thanks for the heads up back then Ross.

#8 Jennifer0530  OFFLINE  

Jennifer0530

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 30, 2006 - 4:07 am

So how do you guys know when a credit card company doubles the warranty? I bought my warranty from Creative with a Visa and I don't remember hearing anything about the warranty being extended for longer.

#9 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,946 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 30, 2006 - 4:53 am

So how do you guys know when a credit card company doubles the warranty? I bought my warranty from Creative with a Visa and I don't remember hearing anything about the warranty being extended for longer.

I would just call and ask.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users