Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Survey 101 General Discussion And Q & A

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
345 replies to this topic

#1 mmm40  OFFLINE  

mmm40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 19, 2006 - 6:35 am

This thread is for General Discussion and Q & A. Post your tips and questions about survey taking here. If you have a specific question about a specific company please search for that companies thread and post your question there.
This thread property of GottaDeal.com ©

When we start out taking surveys and doing focus groups we all have the same questions and need advice. Several of us here at GottaDeal have been at this for awhile and have good ideas to help each other out. I thought it may be helpful to have one thread to look up questions that have already been posed, offer advice, give Honest tips and techniques, and to ask questions.

I want to take surveys. Where and how do I get started?

You already have started. You are here and you are asking this question. Your next step is to start reading the threads on this page and work yourself backwards to the last page. Read threads. Read the commentary on the sites that have been posted. Check out the sites for yourself. If the site looks to be a good match for you, go on ahead and sign up. Be honest in your profile information and answer any and all questions posed. You are always free to leave out personal information such as age and annual income. This however, in almost all instances, will disqualify you from participating in a project. After you have signed up, give it some time. Some companies take a few weeks before they start sending you frequent survey invitations.

Be Honest. Demo information is there for a reason. When you try to cheat you are hurting the survey companies, the companies that are hiring the survey companies to gather information for them, and yourself. Eventually you will get caught. Survey companies set traps inside the surveys themselves to catch people who cheat. Those of us who take a lot of surveys have seen them. And, No, I won't tell you what they are. There are also nark's who read these boards and report you. I am one of those nark's. You will see in a couple of my threads how and why I take this so seriously so I won't repeat it here. Also, a new tidbit of information I have not yet shared on these boards. Survey companies are now telling each other who the cheaters are! Ha! So, if you cheat with company A, Company A is going to company B, C, and D and letting them know you are a cheat and a liar. Eventually, this will be a much more widespread practice with the companies. The proliferation of the internet demands it. So, eventually you will be caught. You will lose all chances at shaping consumerism and earning extra cash. It isn't worth it.

Okay, off my soap box and on to some tips I have.

Answer all questions posed in survey demographic questions and profiles.

Sign up with as many sites as possible. No one site will rake in a lot of cash. The bulk of your payments will come from many sites combined. This applies to survey sites. You can earn hefty hunks of change doing research and focus groups.

Answer as many survey invites as possible and as quickly as possible. This keeps you on the companies' radar and they will keep sending you invites. If you don't answer, many companies stop, or slow down, your invites. Even if the email requests a male I answer anyway. I still give my correct demo info. I obviously get disqualified, but I stay on their radar. By answering quickly, you will have a better shot at getting into the survey before the demographic quotas have been filled for your group.

Consider branching out beyond surveys into the world of focus groups and research studies. These, often, pay very, very well.

Don't plan to get rich. It won't happen. Expect there will be times when you make very little money. By the same token, know that there may be times when you can rake in some serious cash. I am coming off a 6 month (or so) streak of serious money making. I was making, at my worst, about 300.00 a month. At my best I actually pulled in 1,752.15 one month. This is a very rare occurrence. I have been doing this for 20 years. This is the only streak I have ever had like this. So to be clear, this is far from the norm!

Are those emails I get offering to teach me how to navigate the survey and research world helpful? What about websites offering the same services?

Do not bother with emails or websites that want to "teach" you how to take surveys, or get into research projects, and focus groups. They are all b.s.! Ultimately, they want money. Don't buy those lists. The most recent one I have seen was forwarded to me by another GottaDealer. The list was an exact copy of my thread listing tons of survey links and the very post you are reading right now! I am Not the person selling that list! My mantra here has always been:

Never, Ever, Pay For Survey And Research Information, Or To Take Part In These Projects!

If You Must Hand Over Your Hard Earned Money.........Shoot Me Some! I can always use it. I accept PayPal, cash and money orders. No checks or credit cards, please!

:P (Just Kidding)

If you need advice about how to trudge along in the survey and research world post your questions in this thread. If I don't get here to help you, someone will.

Please remember, any company that contacts you unsolicited, (meaning you didn't contact them first) Send The Email To Spam. Employers in RL don't randomly contact people to work for them. They don't do it on the internet either.

How To Search Craigslist

Okay, If we aren't posting projects from your area, this is how you can do it yourself. Go to:

http://craigslist.org

Scroll all the way to the right. Find the state you want to search. Click on it. This will take you to a page, that lists all the cities in that state that host a craigslist. Don't see a city you would like to see? At the top of the page there is a link to recommend a city.

After you click on a city scroll to the jobs section. Scroll down until you see "ETC" Click on that. This is where they will be.

If you want to help us out here at GD. Come back, Search to see if it has already been posted. If not copy and paste it. Rewrite the title of the post. Be as descriptive as possible and include as much information as possible. If the study takes place only in a certain area add that to the title. If it's Nationwide, add that. If it's a telephone or online interview, add that. For examples of good thread titles please see DramaQueenLucy's posts

Tips On How To Use The Amazon Gift Certificates You Will Be Earning

What Is Amazon?

Amazon.com is an online retailer. They carry almost everything you could possibly want. I highly recommend browsing their site. There truly is something for everyone there.

What Is An Amazon.com Gift Certificate?

An Amazon Gift Certificate, also called a Gift Code or, simply, a GC, is a credit with the online retailer Amazon.com. In lieu of cash or points some survey and/or research companies offer Gift Certificates to Amazon. The minimum denomination they issue GC's in is $5.00.

Can I Use More Than One Amazon GC Per Order?

Yes. When you check out it will ask if you would like to apply a GC to your order. Input the alphanumeric code given in the email you received from Amazon. The next page will take you to a page that looks like you are done. Look carefully at the order. In the far right column, scroll down and you will see, in small print, the option to add another GC. There will be a little box to input another code. You can do that as many times as you like.

How Do I Add GC's To My Account If I Do not Want To Make A purchase Right Now?

You will need to have an account set up with Amazon.com to store your GC's online. To set up an account simply click on "My Account" You will be given the option to sign in or create a new account. Once you have logged on to your account, click on "My Account" again (if you have not already been taken to this page by default) You will see a page full of options. Scroll down to where it says "Payment Settings." Click on "Apply A Gift Certificate To Your Account" You will then be taken to a page with a rectangular box where you can input your code. After you input your code click the submit button. The next page will give you the option to do it all over again. You can input as many codes as you like. Remember, the original expiration dates still apply for codes stored online. The computer, by default, will automatically deduct the oldest GC when you make a purchase.

Do My GC's Expire?

Yes. Most expire in 12 months. Some expire in 18 months. I honestly don't know why or what the difference is. You will find the expiration date in the email you received from Amazon.com with your Gift Certificate Code.

Oh Wow! I Just Ordered Something From Amazon And Wouldn't You Know It, I Just Got Another Amazon GC In My Inbox! Can I Apply This To My Order Even Though I Completed The Transaction?

Possibly. If you have completed the order process you may be able to add another gift certificate to the purchase. The order must still be"Open". To see if your order is still open click on "My Account" In the pull down menu select "Open And Recently Shipped Orders" You will be taken to a page that shows all your recent orders. Any orders that say "Open" you may add another gift certificate to.

This thread property of GottaDeal.com © DO YOU UNDERSTAND YET YOU ****ING SKANK, SHAWNA?

I can't post in a thread, it says it's too old!

YES! YOU! CAN! Just read a little bit further and it's self explanatory. Please do not start a new thread!

Posted Image

Good Luck! Have Fun! Go Take A Survey. Cash That Check!

Edited by DramaQueenLucy, Jul 2, 2008 - 4:57 pm.

:moon: MIRANDA

#2 sanam  OFFLINE  

sanam

Take a Chill Pill !

• 1,060 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 19, 2006 - 6:48 am

i have a suggestion , if you are a member of greenfield or are joining them .. i have heard that their cheques dont come for 4 months or so. so if you do end up earning anything i would suggest cash out as soon as you can. the surveys are good ranging from 1-5 dollars and sometimes they do have focus groups as well. i have cashed about 13 dollars. lets see when the cheques comes . as far as which other survey sites are good... mmm has already posted the good ones ....

#3 mmm40  OFFLINE  

mmm40

• 3,197 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 19, 2006 - 7:11 am

then why not post them here for everybody. mmm40 has been doing a great job. I have only in the past week been joining survey sites. If I find a good one with good reviews I post it (if mmm40 hasn't already beat me to it :D) for everybody here ......I don't yet have any personal experience since I just started. I keep seeing posts in the new treads saying I have been with this site for X amount of months and they are great. If you are a member of a really good survey or research site already then please post it for everybody, thats why the survey sub foruim was made. PLEASE share, we all want to make a few bucks. In the future when i get more experience I will be sharing anything good I find. :D

Thank you! Very well said.

#4 scrabbler  OFFLINE  

scrabbler

Just Me

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted May 19, 2006 - 7:19 am

I can add that if you sign up for a survey site that states it will contact you, you may not be contacted because your demographics do not fit what the survey site needs. I signed up for one last week, never heard a peep and others here were sharing that they already got their first check! So I emailed them to ask and they very kindly replied that they keep my application but if they do not email back, my slot is full. I thought perhaps it hadn't gone through...but nope, just full....

#5 mmm40  OFFLINE  

mmm40

• 3,197 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 19, 2006 - 7:25 am

I can add that if you sign up for a survey site that states it will contact you, you may not be contacted because your demographics do not fit what the survey site needs.

I signed up for one last week, never heard a peep and others here were sharing that they already got their first check! So I emailed them to ask and they very kindly replied that they keep my application but if they do not email back, my slot is full.

I thought perhaps it hadn't gone through...but nope, just full....

You may want to post this information in the thread that deals with this particiular site. It will help everyone understand how that particular company functions. Each company functions differently.

#6 scrabbler  OFFLINE  

scrabbler

Just Me

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted May 19, 2006 - 7:31 am

Will do!

#7 aintstupid  OFFLINE  

aintstupid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 20, 2006 - 5:12 pm

surveypolice.com is a great place to check survey companies out!! Survey Police allows survey-takers like you to review, rank and file complaints against online survey companies. With no standards, no certifications and no accountability of paid survey companies, Survey Police is here to protect online survey participants. Online survey company participants need protection from paid online survey sites that: Don't pay the incentives they promise Charge consumers to access a list of surveys Sell your name, address and other personal information

#8 TnDimples  OFFLINE  

TnDimples

I wanna Play.......

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 20, 2006 - 8:12 pm

THANKS I'll check it out :)

surveypolice.com is a great place to check survey companies out!!

Survey Police allows survey-takers like you to review, rank and file complaints against online survey companies. With no standards, no certifications and no accountability of paid survey companies, Survey Police is here to protect online survey participants. Online survey company participants need protection from paid online survey sites that:

Don't pay the incentives they promise
Charge consumers to access a list of surveys
Sell your name, address and other personal information

#9 fairydustcrissy  OFFLINE  

fairydustcrissy

Christmas in Halloweentown!

• 4,960 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 21, 2006 - 7:06 am

I am a member of soo many survey sites. I cant remember them until I get an email form them, lol. Off the top of my head, some of the ones that really stick out as being great, are Pinecone (of course), J&J (they pay in actual CASH, not a check), e-rewards is pretty easy, Bzzagent is great. I did not like the rewardsTV or whatever it was called. i tried that about a year ago, and it never would let me cash out. There are several others that have never paid me. If I think of more i will add.

#10 sanam  OFFLINE  

sanam

Take a Chill Pill !

• 1,060 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 14, 2006 - 7:10 am

i thought of adding the link to the best sites posted by surveypolice.com.

you can join anyone which you seem would be suitable.

Here is the link with the feedback about each and every survey website.

http://www.surveypol...com/ratings.php

#11 happygal  OFFLINE  

happygal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 14, 2006 - 8:20 am

This is a very helpful site, I agree! I hadn't looked at it in awhile, but was glad to see that HotSpex wasn't at the top of the list anymore...I could never figure out how that happened as I know of so few people who have actually won a sweeps with them.

#12 sanam  OFFLINE  

sanam

Take a Chill Pill !

• 1,060 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 14, 2006 - 10:13 am

This is a very helpful site, I agree! I hadn't looked at it in awhile, but was glad to see that HotSpex wasn't at the top of the list anymore...I could never figure out how that happened as I know of so few people who have actually won a sweeps with them.

you know i had tried some surveys with them where you need to give product ideas , and spent hours on it. but never won anything.... so now i dont do any surveys for them .

#13 happygal  OFFLINE  

happygal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 14, 2006 - 11:43 am

Totally agree Sanam! I thought the surveys were tons of fun...but after thousands and thousands of points and raffles and such, nothing. Not that I don't think that people win with them, because I do, but I was baffled why they were once top of the list.

#14 joy1969  OFFLINE  

joy1969

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 15, 2006 - 8:38 pm

Thanks for the link

#15 Shortness  OFFLINE  

Shortness

Everybody needs love...

• 6,734 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 15, 2006 - 9:50 pm

Isn't it nice to see that some of the ones we belong to are at the top? That is how I found mysurvey.com--not from this particular site, but from another of the same type--rating survey sites. Anyhow, thanks for the post sanam.
If not today, maybe tomorrow...:mail:

#16 iluvdeals  OFFLINE  

iluvdeals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 16, 2006 - 10:10 am

Thanks for the link - it's a great source of information!

#17 sanam  OFFLINE  

sanam

Take a Chill Pill !

• 1,060 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 16, 2006 - 2:36 pm

You all are MOST WELCOME !!!

#18 conj  OFFLINE  

conj

WHats My function, you ask?

• 8,311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 16, 2006 - 3:44 pm

great concept for a site. thanks

#19 shawna76  OFFLINE  

shawna76

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 19, 2006 - 3:08 am

i dont know about you all, but i signed up for about a million survey sites at first and most of them STINK!!! this has been the best place to find surveys that pay anything...i just had a word about surveyspot...they send about 10 surveys a week and the email states that it will take about, say 10 minutes to complete the survey...well, 20 minutes after askig if i am a female and my age for the 153rd time, they inform me that i do not qualify for this particular survey....ppffffftttt!!! AAAGGGGGG!!!

#20 mldepalma  OFFLINE  

mldepalma

Um, it's me, I think...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 19, 2006 - 5:36 am

i dont know about you all, but i signed up for about a million survey sites at first and most of them STINK!!! this has been the best place to find surveys that pay anything...i just had a word about surveyspot...they send about 10 surveys a week and the email states that it will take about, say 10 minutes to complete the survey...well, 20 minutes after askig if i am a female and my age for the 153rd time, they inform me that i do not qualify for this particular survey....ppffffftttt!!! AAAGGGGGG!!!

I had the same problem with them so I finally unsubscribed - it was a waste of my time - I don't do many surveys so I don't want to be bombarded with crummy ones!:yup:

#21 bethanykay6  OFFLINE  

bethanykay6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 19, 2006 - 10:57 am

epoll is another great one...and lightspeed panel and good housekeeping panel and johnson and johnson survey panel......there are lots listed on this website!

#22 tyler99199  OFFLINE  

tyler99199

My son is Tyler I am Chad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 31, 2006 - 11:41 am

What is you Top 3 or Top 5 ( Which ever you choose to do ) survey sites you belong to. Based upon number of surveys, payments, amount of money earned and reliability. Just curious.

#23 mcmichael142  OFFLINE  

mcmichael142

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 31, 2006 - 11:58 am

I think this is what you are asking for. These are my favorites for the last 2 months. The order changes once in a while when I start getting a rush on other companies. 1. Pinecone - 2. MySurvey (NFO) 3. Lightspeed 4. OTXSX 5. Keynote 6. Viewpoint 7. Mindfield

#24 mcmichael142  OFFLINE  

mcmichael142

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 31, 2006 - 12:00 pm

but there are companies that pay me more than the ones I have listed...but just send less surveys...sometimes only 1 every 6 months or so. The ones I listed are my favorites, because I have been with most of them for a while and I can trust their payment methods and times.

#25 tyler99199  OFFLINE  

tyler99199

My son is Tyler I am Chad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 31, 2006 - 12:02 pm

Yes exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully this will help those that are new to this find good reliable companies to join.

#26 civicracinggirl7  OFFLINE  

civicracinggirl7

• 1,143 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 31, 2006 - 1:09 pm

1. Pinecone 2. E-Rewards (not money or GC's though) 3. E-Poll (surveys aren't that often, but I did get 1-2 surveys that I had to watch a show for and got a lot of points for) 4. Lightspeed (again, surveys aren't that often, and I hardly qualify for many, but it works) 5. MySurvey/NFO Ipsos I-Say sends surveys at least once every couple of weeks, but they're for sweepstakes entries, so I don't bother, same with Greenfield.

#27 happygal  OFFLINE  

happygal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 31, 2006 - 6:30 pm

Gosh, I really couldn't. Mysurvey is tops, probably...but beyond them, from month to month it varies. However, this month I just totaled it up and my grand total from surveyswas $616.30, so I think it pays to have a good mix of varied sites.

#28 lennon2004  OFFLINE  

lennon2004

• 4,424 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 7:01 am

Pinecone, Viewpoint, MySurvey.
"Why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?"

#29 motoXmom  OFFLINE  

motoXmom

• 1,813 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 8:55 am

Gosh, I really couldn't. Mysurvey is tops, probably...but beyond them, from month to month it varies. However, this month I just totaled it up and my grand total from surveyswas $616.30, so I think it pays to have a good mix of varied sites.

Wow that's Great! Nice Job. How long have you been doing these?

#30 Cinnamonhuskies  OFFLINE  

Cinnamonhuskies

• 2,424 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:54 am

MySurvey, Viewpoint. I can't seem to get into Pinecone and I still haven't made any $ from Lightspeed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users