Game Boy Advance vs Game Boy Advance SP

brynnfromtheblock

yes. Both the SP and regular Gameboy advance have color screens. My 9 yr old had the Old Gameboy advance and decided he wanted the SP version. He LOVES IT!! I would highly recommend going with the Gameboy Advance SP. It is smaller, but with the light built in makes it worth it! Plus it has rechargeable batteries so there is never a need to buy batteries.

HTH

Kristie

Do they both have color screens?

Yes.

Bedeeda has pointed out the two biggest differences between the GameBoy Advance and GBA SP which are:

• GameBoy Advance SP has backlit lighting built in and can be played in dim or dark rooms
  • GBA SP comes with a built-in rechargeable battery which will easily save you $30 over 1 year

Just in battery savings alone, the GBA SP is clearly the better long term value. I think it was Target which should have the GBA SP with Spiderman 2 game for $69 on Black Friday. Backlighting + built in rechargeable batteries = winner :jester:

The SP is far and away better, for the reasons the others have posted. You can litterally play it in the dark. My sons do it all the time on road trips and it really helps to pass the time. The screen size is exactly the same, it just looks smaller. You and your nephew will be much happier with the SP. (I work in the "R-Zone" at TRU so this is kinda my job, to tell you how much better it is! LOL)

I think it's short for "In Total Agreement".

Any advice on how to control them? Thanks!

Is it really? You learn something new every day.

Apparently you can teach this old dog (turning 30) new tricks.

Regarding your kids I hear ritalin works wonders or duct tape :2roller: j/k of course :eek:

Keg do you know what the Cartoon Network Bundle is at TRU with the GBASP?

Sorry but I won't see the ad until next Wednesday when I help set it. I can only assume that it is either the videos or the racing game.

As for plugging the GBA SP into the TV, no you can not do that. However, if you have a Gamecube, you can buy the GameBoy Player (it attaches to the GC) and then you can play all the GBA games on the GC.

Best Buy usually has a select group of games for the $9.99 price even when it is not BF. Not always but if you check every so often you'll find some for that price. Also, right now Best Buy has the green tag 1/2 off sale going on and I believe they did have a few games with the tags on them.

I agree that the cost of the games can be outrageous. Sam's has some for $13 so I would check there also.

Don't know if this is true but here is some detail on the GBA stuff at TRU

GameBoy Advanced SP w/ Cartoon Network Bundle -- $79.95:

This bundle is good until NOON only and contains headphones, GBA Video Cartoon Network, and GBA Cartoon Network Speedway.

Select GameBoy Advance Games (Battlebots, Namco Museum, etc.) -- $9.97: These are select Majesco GBA games that also include: F-18, Monster Truck, Strawberry Shortcake, Texas Hold'em, the Golden Nugget, Pacman, Frogger Advance & Quad Desert Fury.

You can find them previously rented and at really good prices from $5 to $20 at some video stores. Since they use a cartridge they don't get scratched or wear out. Carefully pull the rental label off and voila a great looking game at a good price. I got Mario Kart Double Dash for GameCube at Hastings today, previously rented for $20. I saved about $30.

For those of you with questions about GBA or GBA SP, just want to clue you in that a new game system (Nintendo DS) will be coming out on Sunday. It will play all old GBA games and will have two screens. The downside is that it will cost about $150. But you might want to consider it if you want the newest system. By the way, you don't play the games on both screens at one time, one has the game and the other has a map with your position (Ex. if it were a racing game, where you are on the course). But the bottom screen will kind of be like a PDA - it has a touch screen that works with either a stylus or your finger.

I just have to say that I was able to get a sneak peak at the Nintendo DS and wow pretty much sums it up! I'd like one for myself :2roller:

My son had the GBA which he liked but then got the GBA SP and enjoys that much more.

We do alot of trading in old games and gaming equipment at our local Game Crazy (which is inside Hollywood Video stores) and have got some great deals on used games and systems and accessories.

The SP is backwards compatible too, where it will play regular Gameboy, and Gameboy color games. I get a lot of DS's games at Gamestop used, or at pawn shops.

My son is the outdoorsy active type, so he mostly plays video games during the winter, when it's just too cold to play outside. During the summer, they largely get ignored.

Just set rules for it's use. Like, if they get their chores done and homework done, they can play it for 1/2 hour-hour. Use the Gameboy as a privilege.

Definitely not the SP at Walmart, I think I'll go for the SP, but I think I'll grab it at Kmart on their day of Thanksgiving sale it comes with Namco Museum and another game for 79.99, plus they have some other games on sale for 7.99 (he doesn't need the just released games just yet!!) That way I can focus on some other big ticket item on BF.

It seems to me that the differences between the models have been established now.

While the GBA SP is cool and all the rage right now, I'm sure there will be kids who at the last minute will change their minds and want the new Nintendo DS. That goes on sale on Nov. 21 for $150.

Considerably more expensive than a GBA SP on BF , but it is also backwards compatable with all of GBA games. It would be wise to make sure you do a last minute check for any revisions to the Christmas lists this year. ;)

Plus it would help avoid the whole "I just bought you a nintendo last christmas" conversation with your kids, because most likely their reply would be " this one is the NEW, COOLER one!" :rant: Then you'll be hearing that all the way till your kid's next birthday.