Offers for existing customers?

I became aware recently that companies such as DirectTV will offer you as an existing customer who is out-of-contract a lower rate to get you locked in to a new contract. I tried this with Dish Network based on the plan they are advertising which is $10 off the current subscription rate-only offered for new customers. They refused to offer any deal. With the entry cost in switching being low or zero, I did look into DirectTV to see if their pricing was better, but the comparable package to what I have was actually a little higher.

My question: have you, as an existing customer of a service, ever called & got a better rate (either because your contract expired or you see new customers getting the same features cheaper)?

We have Directv and saw the super deals they were offering to new subscribers. My husband call the customer service and they didn't offer us anything. Just pushed the offer where you get $50 off your bill if you recruit someone to sign up. Regular cable is still higher so we still stuck with Directv, but I was upset they didn't offer us anything to try and keep us as my husband said we may switch or cancel. She just said she was sorry if we went.

We have Directv and saw the super deals they were offering to new subscribers. My husband call the customer service and they didn't offer us anything. Just pushed the offer where you get $50 off your bill if you recruit someone to sign up. Regular cable is still higher so we still stuck with Directv, but I was upset they didn't offer us anything to try and keep us as my husband said we may switch or cancel. She just said she was sorry if we went.

Because in a lot of places Direct or Dish are 'the only ball game in town', neither company gives a hoot if you stay or not. They figure once they've got you hooked you'd rather take their s##t than drop them. Especially when it comes to adding things. But it didn't work with my sisterinlaw: She had Dish with two connections, in her Living Room and her sewing room. Then daughter moved in with them and they wanted an additional connection for her bedroom. Dish said sure they'd add a receiver...for $150 payable up front! She pointed out to them that their then-current promotion was offering up to 4 units free. They said that was new customers only, she already had an account so she would be charged for any changes. No offers, no deals, just "it'll cost you".

Soooo...it "cost" her ten minutes of her time to talk to DIRECT-TV and arrange for 4 receivers, more programing than she had had, and several dollars LESS monthly rate! :)

She said then Dish had the nerve to call and ask why she was canceling them! :D

We have Directv and saw the super deals they were offering to new subscribers. My husband call the customer service and they didn't offer us anything.

Elena, you may want to call back & try again with another rep at DirectTV. My co-worker was offered a lower rate comparable to new client rates. But this was only offered once she was out of contract period. That's why I even tried in the first place-I am out of contract & could switch to either DirectTV or cable at any time. And as far as the "once a customer, always a customer" line I was given by the Dish rep for being unable to reap the benefits of cancelling & opening a new account, I may just have it added in my spouses name to take advantage of that. I can pocket a little profit while my receivers are still ok by selling then on eBay.

this frustrates me as well. I wanted to combine all of mine onto my qwest account, but since i was already a cutomer..no luck. I think they ought to try to take better care of their customers, instead of all efforts being put inot new ones.

Were you trying to get in on Qwests "bundled" savings? I'm looking into that as well, with my DirecTV setup, and they told me that the price for the DirecTV would transfer over, but I'd save on the landline/DSL charges.