Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

PSA:New ICANN Rules Make DOMAIN HIJACKING Easier

10 replies to this topic

#1 twista  OFFLINE  

twista

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 13, 2004 - 6:07 pm

[Source: Anandtech http://forums.anandt...11&STARTPAGE=1]
Domain names could become easier to hijack as a change in domain transfer rules takes effect Friday. Under new rules set by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), domain transfer requests will be automatically approved in five days unless they are explicitly denied by the account owner. This is a change from current procedure, in which a domain's ownership and nameservers remain unchanged if there is no response to a transfer request.

This could mean trouble for domain owners who don't closely manage their records. Domains with incorrect e-mail addresses and outdated administrative contact information are at particular risk, as the domain's WHOIS database information will be used to inform domain owners of transfer requests. A non-response becomes the equivalent of answering "yes" to a transfer request, according to the ICANN policy change.

"Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5) calendar days to a notification from the Registry regarding a transfer request will result in a default 'approval' of the transfer," the new rules state. "In the event that a Transfer Contact listed in the Whois has not confirmed their request to transfer with the Registrar of Record and the Registrar of Record has not explicitly denied the transfer request, the default action will be that the Registrar of Record must allow the transfer to proceed."

As the deadline for the change approaches, domain registrars are contacting domain owners and insisting that they update domain records to avoid unwanted changes. "From November 8-10, we are sending an email to all domain customers informing you of a new domain transfer policy, enforced by ICANN," Go Daddy told its users. "This policy dictates that we must honor any transfer requests, even if you do not personally confirm them. To prevent unauthorized transfers, lock your domains." There are reports of other registrars providing stern warnings to customers about the need to update their details within five days, perhaps to establish which domains may have outdated info.

Domains have become valuable business assets, yet are often loosely managed by business owners, who neglect to update their WHOIS information following changes in staff or e-mail addresses. Companies that have let critical domains lapse include The Washingon Post, the Gawker weblog and perhaps the most embarassing gaffe yet, the UK domain for Ogilvy Mather.

ICANN appears to be anticipating a spike in disputes, and today announced appointments to manage its domain dispute resolution policy.

GoDaddy says:
From November 8-10, we are sending an email to all domain customers informing you of a new domain transfer policy, enforced by ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). This policy dictates that we must honor any transfer requests, even if you do not personally confirm them. To prevent unauthorized transfers, lock your domains. This service is free and takes only a minute.

Namecheap.com setted theres to unlock for everyone so any out there.. please lock yours again. My domain is namecheap.com and yes it was unlocked.

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 13, 2004 - 6:55 pm

Does this only affect GoDaddy.com? What about NameCheap.com?

#3 twista  OFFLINE  

twista

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 13, 2004 - 6:56 pm

Does this only affect GoDaddy.com?

What about NameCheap.com?

My namecheap.com was unlocked. I locked it back up after reading that post. So, yes it does effect NC and GD. You can check the ATOt thread were people are saying there status was changed on both.

#4 fasty  OFFLINE  

fasty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 14, 2004 - 10:54 am

I already checked my domains on domainmonger and it's locked. :)

#5 Ankit  OFFLINE  

Ankit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 14, 2004 - 7:46 pm

All my namecheap domains were already locked when I checked :)

#6 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 14, 2004 - 11:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up... I locked all my domains last night. Should have done that a long time ago

#7 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 15, 2004 - 8:03 am

Is there a way to lock ALL your NameCheap.com domains at once?

#8 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 15, 2004 - 9:35 am

I don't know about NameCheap, but there is an option for GoDaddy...

:D

#9 DeviousTrap  OFFLINE  

DeviousTrap

Ignore me, I'm a trap!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 15, 2004 - 1:32 pm

Go to the manage domain screen and hit select all, then click modify selected domains. Now go and lock it and it will update every domain that you checked.

#10 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 15, 2004 - 1:40 pm

Thanks Eric :)

#11 Ankit  OFFLINE  

Ankit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 15, 2004 - 2:35 pm

What's the reasoning behind creating this rule? I'm sure they have a reason but from my side it's just another thing to make everything more complicated

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users