Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

>>> Official 2006 MCDONALD'S BEST BUY MONOPOLY Thread <<<

1244 replies to this topic

#61 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 15,003 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 12:14 pm

think about this .. if you need to buy 2 stmaps (one for the sase and one for the one you send isnt it a better idea to pay a buck and get the food or even a soda? i know the soda it ones on cost more then 1$ but still..

Someone else will pipe in here, but I think gamepieces only comes on large sodas and large fries... (and Premium Chicken Sandwiches?)

I'm Gottadeal's Fix-It/D-I-Y guy. ~ Since 8/2/07, the Ban Hammer has fallen on 233 spammers! Hammer.gif

#62 biomajor  OFFLINE  

biomajor

Michelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,347 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 3:56 pm

Yes and big macs

#63 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 6:00 pm

Not because of lottery fraud, but you're close.

The reason game pieces must be provided free on request is that - in the eyes of the law - if you must buy something to enter a contest, that is technically a lottery, which is illegal. They can run contests that give you entries in return for purchases, and as long as there is a way to enter for free, that's OK.

Right-o. It's been a while so I forgot the specifics of the legal technicalities. Thanks for clearing that up.

#64 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 6:02 pm

Yeah, by the way, Best Buy Bucks are only included on large fries and some other expensive menu item (in 2004 it was chicken strips and last year it was chicken sandwiches), each of which easily costs near $2 or more. So buying food at McDonald's is a lot more expensive than buying stamps for free pieces.

#65 Gurnee Al  OFFLINE  

Gurnee Al

Man's Best Friend

• 1,896 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 6:50 pm

Debating between buying food and sending in a SASE?? How about both?? You can mail a stack in on the way to McDonald's for lunch! :tongue1:

#66 happyrat  OFFLINE  

happyrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 7:21 pm

I know this is in the rules somewhere, but do you have to stamp the envelope with 39 cents, or will 1 cent due. Just curious since its technically a sase with 1 cent postage right.

#67 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 7:41 pm

I know this is in the rules somewhere, but do you have to stamp the envelope with 39 cents, or will 1 cent due. Just curious since its technically a sase with 1 cent postage right.

Yes you have to provide proper USPS first class postage which is $0.39 per envelope.

#68 Firemansgal311  OFFLINE  

Firemansgal311

Eh, can you repeat that?

• 2,805 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 3, 2006 - 8:12 pm

Does anyone have a link to the rules?

#69 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,840 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 4, 2006 - 5:21 am

Hey again everyone. With my new apartment, I don't yet have Internet (getting it tomorrow) so I have to backtrack to my parents' house to use the computer, so that's why I haven't been here much.

Anyway, to answer some of the questions:

- Best Buy Bucks are stackable. In 2003, there was no limit (you could bring in 10,000 Bucks and buy a plasma TV or something). In 2004, they restricted it to $300 per purchase, with a $3 limit on any one CD or DVD. Same restriction in 2005, and I'm imagining it will be the same this year.

I've never played this game, but it sounds like I'll give it a try this year.

So, other than CDs or DVDs, we can spend as many Best Buy Bucks as we want on a single item, up to $300 per purchase? For instance, if Best Buy has a fabulous laptop on BF, I can use $300 in Best Buy Bucks to help pay for it?

Can we mail the SASEs to arrive on 10/03 and have them be honored? Or does the postmarked date have to be 10/03? How many SASEs per day can you send in?

#70 Mike  OFFLINE  

Mike

I am a BF Veteran

• 1,727 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 4, 2006 - 5:22 am

I've never played this game, but it sounds like I'll give it a try this year.

So, other than CDs or DVDs, we can spend as many Best Buy Bucks as we want on a single item, up to $300 per purchase? For instance, if Best Buy has a fabulous laptop on BF, I can use $300 in Best Buy Bucks to help pay for it?

Can we mail the SASEs to arrive on 10/03 and have them be honored? Or does the postmarked date have to be 10/03? How many SASEs per day can you send in?

Yep, I used my BB bucks last year on BF.

#71 Rockfordmom  OFFLINE  

Rockfordmom

• 6,313 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Aug 5, 2006 - 12:59 pm

WOW, and thanks! You guys keep coming up with new ideas to get a great deal and save $$$$...

#72 KBsDarling  OFFLINE  

KBsDarling

• 1,762 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 5, 2006 - 7:20 pm

i too am planning to try it this year...got a little confused though....Which of the 2 envelopes can be printed and still be "legal" or is it just better to hand cramp it the whole way? and even if they were on dollar items wont the stamps only be 78cents? I know its only 22cents but between not wanting to be my very own SuperSize ME subject and over the course of 100's 22 cents does add up

#73 Mike  OFFLINE  

Mike

I am a BF Veteran

• 1,727 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 5, 2006 - 10:34 pm

i too am planning to try it this year...got a little confused though....Which of the 2 envelopes can be printed and still be "legal" or is it just better to hand cramp it the whole way?

and even if they were on dollar items wont the stamps only be 78cents? I know its only 22cents but between not wanting to be my very own SuperSize ME subject and over the course of 100's 22 cents does add up

That SASE, which is the self addressed stamped envelope has to be hand written. The envelope going to McD promotional HQ with the SASE inside it can be pre-printed, at least in the past.

#74 alimfp  OFFLINE  

alimfp

Meow.

• 5,626 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 5, 2006 - 11:12 pm

Am I understanding this correctly? Aren't you guaranteed AT LEAST $1 BBB in return plus some sort of free item from McD's? So if you sent in 500 requests ($390 in postage for sending it in plus SASE), you'd get AT LEAST $500 back, if not more of course. Or are you not guaranteed at least $1 BBB?
ali. mama to three (ages 7, 7 & 5). surrogate mom to one. surrogacy journey #2 underway ~ due june 2010.

#75 Mike  OFFLINE  

Mike

I am a BF Veteran

• 1,727 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 6, 2006 - 5:51 pm

Am I understanding this correctly? Aren't you guaranteed AT LEAST $1 BBB in return plus some sort of free item from McD's?

So if you sent in 500 requests ($390 in postage for sending it in plus SASE), you'd get AT LEAST $500 back, if not more of course.

Or are you not guaranteed at least $1 BBB?

Unless the rules change, this is how it would work.

#76 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 6, 2006 - 5:53 pm

Am I understanding this correctly? Aren't you guaranteed AT LEAST $1 BBB in return plus some sort of free item from McD's?

So if you sent in 500 requests ($390 in postage for sending it in plus SASE), you'd get AT LEAST $500 back, if not more of course.

Or are you not guaranteed at least $1 BBB?

The official rules for this year have not yet been released, so we don't know for sure. But it seems like that will be the case. Since Best Buy entered the game, in 2003, it's been this way - you've been guaranteed at least a $1 Buck. So yeah, for every dollar you spend on postage (omitting cost of envelopes for simplicity), you'll get at least $1.28 back. I've got no idea on the odds of winning higher value Bucks or other prizes, but I'd imagine that the expected value of return would be greater than that, by a worthwhile amount.

#77 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 6, 2006 - 5:55 pm

In past years, the rules have specified "must be postmarked between XX/XX/XX and XX/XX/XX", so it's alright to prepare the envelopes before October 3 (the start of the contest), but, unless the rules say otherwise, I'd hesitate from sending them out before then.

#78 able  OFFLINE  

able

deals on wheels

• 2,991 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 6, 2006 - 7:35 pm

well here a mcdonalds does this sale i dont think its the corp.just the ones owned by the guy here...but a big mac and small fri is $1.50 wich is a GREAT deal ...(not that i like big macs) but worthwile if savign these things i guess the sale is onlyu every first week of the month)

#79 mstacks  OFFLINE  

mstacks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 7, 2006 - 4:42 pm

Wasn't there something during all those BF conversations last year about BestBuy not honoring the Bucks on BF? Does anybody remember that? (yes I know I could look it up in the archives, but I'm in the middle of cooking supper and a long search would endanger the results. LOL)

#80 alimfp  OFFLINE  

alimfp

Meow.

• 5,626 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 7, 2006 - 4:56 pm

mstacks - some people had problems, others did not. It depended on what sales person/cashier you got.
ali. mama to three (ages 7, 7 & 5). surrogate mom to one. surrogacy journey #2 underway ~ due june 2010.

#81 mstacks  OFFLINE  

mstacks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 7, 2006 - 6:07 pm

HooooBoyyyy. Even if I manage to get enough Bucks to make a dent in a price it looks like I may be out of luck on BF, then. The only BB close to me (central AR) has some of the most UNhelpfull people you've ever talked to. :-( Too bad the Bucks can't be used for Online orders. :-(

#82 misshayley  OFFLINE  

misshayley

• 2,568 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 8, 2006 - 6:03 am

HooooBoyyyy. Even if I manage to get enough Bucks to make a dent in a price it looks like I may be out of luck on BF, then. The only BB close to me (central AR) has some of the most UNhelpfull people you've ever talked to. :-( Too bad the Bucks can't be used for Online orders. :-(

Last year DH and I used ours online. Has there been a change?

#83 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 8, 2006 - 1:09 pm

Too bad the Bucks can't be used for Online orders. :-(

Don't get discouraged too soon. The Best Buy Bucks have always had an online redemption ability. There are individual codes printed on each Buck and you can enter them when checking out online. These are stackable as well. In 2003, again there was no limit, but for the past two years you were limited to 40 codes (which means if you had 40 $5 Bucks, you could use $200 worth on one online purchase). Don't know what it will be this year, but I'm imagining it will be the same.

#84 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 8, 2006 - 1:15 pm

Wasn't there something during all those BF conversations last year about BestBuy not honoring the Bucks on BF? Does anybody remember that?

(yes I know I could look it up in the archives, but I'm in the middle of cooking supper and a long search would endanger the results. LOL)

It was not so much an issue of using them on Black Friday. It was an issue of individual Best Buy stores passing down bogus supplemental rules about them. In Ohio, I actually had no problem using hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth over the course of the promotion, including $300 on Black Friday.

IIRC, Indiana had the most problems, since there were big management decisions from their regional offices that changed the limits, meaning the individual store managers would actually get in trouble with their superiors if they let you use a ton of them, even though the rules said you could. A quick call to Best Buy's 1-888 number solved this, but it was still a pain.

And of course there were isolated incidents where the BB employees would essentially treat the customers as thieves and accuse them of being McD's employees and stealing the Bucks. But for every one of those there were probably 3 or 4 people who had no problem redeeming a large amount of them.

The addition in the last year of requiring you to provide a photo ID if you use more than $75 drastically cut down on the immediate accusations from BB, since they could just go in after the fact and check to see if you were ineligible in any way (e.g. an employee at McD's).

#85 motoXmom  OFFLINE  

motoXmom

• 1,813 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 9, 2006 - 3:33 am

Mark Tons of Great info! Thanks ;) I actually have started buying extra stamps and stashing them away just for this. lol But with my luck I'll forget where I put them.

#86 happyrat  OFFLINE  

happyrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 9, 2006 - 10:28 am

Well Rossman I see a new gottapoints redemption option, a roll of stamps for a certain number of points. Hint hint.

#87 chinacat  OFFLINE  

chinacat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 9, 2006 - 11:56 am

This is great info....I never thought about doing anything like this. But thanks to all of you, especially Mark...I am going to give it a shot. Kids start back to school in 13 days, I will have plenty of time for writing envelopes then!!! Thanks Again~You guys Rock!!!!

#88 shopping mom  OFFLINE  

shopping mom

• 2,545 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 9, 2006 - 12:21 pm

I have never done the Best Buy Bucks before, I am this year though. I am going to buy envelopes the next time I go to Walmart and start the SASE soon. I do not know what I will redeem them for but I am sure I can find something!

#89 darianwiccan  OFFLINE  

darianwiccan

Cthulhu Fhtagn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 23, 2006 - 4:09 am

I am DEFINITELY going to start addressing envelopes today! I think I'll go for 500 SASE's, since here in Dayton, OH we have 4 Best Buy's that are easily accessible. If only I had known before that these were stackable and usable on BF! Thanks everyone.

#90 chinacat  OFFLINE  

chinacat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 23, 2006 - 7:27 am

I bought my envelopes....now to start writing!!!! Kids are back in school, just seems like I am busier than I used to be!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users