Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

>>> Official 2006 MCDONALD'S BEST BUY MONOPOLY Thread <<<

1244 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,428 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jul 17, 2006 - 3:14 pm

This is the official thread for discussing the 2006 McDonald's Monopoly / Best Buy Bucks promotion. Please keep all related discussion in this thread.

Official Game Website

Official Rules

#2 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:03 am

Yep; you were all wondering when I'd make the first thread about this year's Monopoly game. Well, now that there are some official details, it's time to start talking about it :D. Of course, the big thing is always the Best Buy Buck component. Check out this thread from last year's game to see what I mean:

http://forums.gottad...nald's monopoly

I found this interview transcript from Chief Marketer, where the guy in charge of the promotional side of the game gave some info about this year's game. First off, it looks like Best Buy won't be in the spotlight as much this year. However, there will still be Best Buy Bucks. Here's the quote: "[T]hey are participating in the guaranteed win portion of the game and offering a $5 Best Buy Buck." Since it says "guaranteed win" I'm assuming that $1 BB Bucks will indeed make a return for this year. However, the $5 BB Bucks means that the 1 in 3 chance of a $3 buck from last year is gone. I wonder if they'll change it to a 1 in 5 chance of getting a $5 buck... that would be sweet.

Also, here's another interesting quote: "It's based on offering money and cash and wealth, versus prizes." This reminds me of the Monopoly game from several years ago, the "pick your prize" one. There were a lot of small cash prizes there, like $10 and $20. It would be awesome if they seeded in a bunch of small prizes like that, instead of a 1-in-a-million shot for a big-screen TV, to make it easier to win something.

Finally, the big news ....*drum roll*.... the game's official "launch date" will be October 3. Get ready to start counting down the days! And maybe you should get a head start on those self-addressed stamped envelopes for free game pieces!

#3 fairydustcrissy  OFFLINE  

fairydustcrissy

Christmas in Halloweentown!

• 4,960 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:08 am

I am actually taking a page from the Book of MarkRaby, lol. I trade coupons, and someimes I trade for stamps. I have decided to take all the stamps I recieve, and use them for the promotion :) Hehe, that way, I am not even spending money for the stamps! Granted, i wont have nearly as many, but still...

#4 tyler99199  OFFLINE  

tyler99199

My son is Tyler I am Chad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:20 am

Has anyone ever won anything from this game? And did you get any good pieces by sending away for them?

#5 MarkRaby  OFFLINE  

MarkRaby

Rich Chrometophobian

• 1,180 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:34 am

Has anyone ever won anything from this game?

And did you get any good pieces by sending away for them?

Yes. Thanks to the Best Buy Bucks, which guarantee you at least a $1 Best Buy "gift card", last year, for about $520, I ended up with over $1,200 in Best Buy "money", which I used both in-store and online, taking my total to $2,400. I also won over a dozen iTunes downloads, a bunch of ringtones, etc. In 2004, I netted around $600 in Best Buy Bucks, plus hundreds of small "virtual" prizes (song downloads, etc). And in 2003, I got $174 Best Buy Bucks, a $50 Best Buy gift card, and a $50 cash prize. Also, of course, my breakfast, lunch, and dinner were always paid for, thanks to the hundreds upon hundreds of free food prizes I won.

#6 Gurnee Al  OFFLINE  

Gurnee Al

Man's Best Friend

• 1,896 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:44 am

Thanks. This is always my favorite game. I never won anything other than free food. I love the BB bucks. They were all over eBay selling for about 80% to 90% of face value.

#7 tyler99199  OFFLINE  

tyler99199

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:47 am

So do you take all those best buy tags off of the fries into Best Buy and just hand them to the cashier when you are ready to check out? I have never really played this game since there is no B.B. around here.

#8 able  OFFLINE  

able

deals on wheels

• 2,991 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:49 am

wow i thought you could only use 1 at a time meaing 1$ per trip to best buy...i threw mine all out! i know im about to get my head chewed off

#9 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:51 am

Has anyone ever won anything from this game?

Other than food prizes, no.

And did you get any good pieces by sending away for them?

Yes, read my post here.

Basically we spent $111 on postage and received $265 in Best Buy bucks, it was awesome!!!

#10 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 9:52 am

So do you take all those best buy tags off of the fries into Best Buy and just hand them to the cashier when you are ready to check out?

I have never really played this game since there is no B.B. around here.

Yes but you don't have to buy any McDonalds food. If you send a SASE you receive a free game piece in the mail.

#11 tyler99199  OFFLINE  

tyler99199

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:06 am

Guess I need to start stocking up on stamps. I will find a best buy to use them at. The one around here will not be built until 2007

#12 fulfam  OFFLINE  

fulfam

• 1,566 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:23 am

Guess I need to start stocking up on stamps. I will find a best buy to use them at. The one around here will not be built until 2007

Where in PA are you?? There is a BB in Wilmington DE and I'm pretty sure theres one in Lancaster.

#13 conj  OFFLINE  

conj

WHats My function, you ask?

• 8,311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:28 am

I will rejoice in my exepmtion from the SASE requirement!

#14 alimfp  OFFLINE  

alimfp

Meow.

• 5,626 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:29 am

Have they used the same address for the past 2-3 years (when sending in SASE)? Curious. I'm going to start stocking up on stamps. :D
ali. mama to three (ages 7, 7 & 5). surrogate mom to one. surrogacy journey #2 underway ~ due june 2010.

#15 VonnegutFan  OFFLINE  

VonnegutFan

DePaul Basketball Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:34 am

I'm totally in this year... Looks like I missed some great opportunities the last few times around.
That's my collie in my avatar! :D

#16 tyler99199  OFFLINE  

tyler99199

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:37 am

Where in PA are you?? There is a BB in Wilmington DE and I'm pretty sure theres one in Lancaster.

Lancaster would be the closest for me or I think there is one in Harrisburg also. I was just checking them out. I usually always went to Circuit City. I am around the York area

#17 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:40 am

Have they used the same address for the past 2-3 years (when sending in SASE)? Curious.

I'm going to start stocking up on stamps. :D

Good question, Mark Raby would know for sure.

If they have, we might get started writing envelopes now?

#18 Guest_Frieked_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_Frieked_*
  • Member since --

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:51 am

Good question, Mark Raby would know for sure.

If they have, we might get started writing envelopes now?

Why not just print them out on a printer? Most printers should be able to print on an envelope. I think that would take a lot less time.

#19 kranky  OFFLINE  

kranky

• 3,686 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 10:53 am

The SASE's must be handwritten, per the rules. The envelope used to mail in your request can be computer-printed.

#20 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:03 am

I wish we could print the envelopes or even stamp them but it says something like "no mechanical reproductions" :( On the SASE, I believe that can be printed but the envelope going to them must be hand written. Just to be safe we hand write both with no return address on the SASE.

#21 Guest_Frieked_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_Frieked_*
  • Member since --

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:04 am

The SASE's must be handwritten, per the rules. The envelope used to mail in your request can be computer-printed.

Oh... weak
I'm sure I could find a font that looks like handwriting :)

#22 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:08 am

/me Googles "chicken scratch font" brb

#23 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:09 am

Wow, Google knows all

http://www.dafont.co...chicken_scratch

#24 tootsieroll23  OFFLINE  

tootsieroll23

SAHM

• 1,721 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:13 am

Good thing the kids love McDonalds. Once this starts DH will have us eating supper there all the time for the Best Buy bucks.

#25 Guest_Frieked_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_Frieked_*
  • Member since --

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:13 am

Wow, Google knows all

http://www.dafont.co...chicken_scratch

Or any of these: http://www.free-font...ting_fonts.html

#26 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:25 am

Or any of these: http://www.free-font...ting_fonts.html

This font looks very real.

#27 kranky  OFFLINE  

kranky

• 3,686 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:48 am

I have no doubt you could fool them with one envelope. But Mark and Ross and some others plan to send a ton - and who knows if they would notice how exactly alike the "writing" is. And since that would be a convenient excuse for them to not send the game pieces, I wouldn't be surprised if they would be looking for it. It certainly serves their interest to disqualify any invalid requests. For one or a few envelopes mailed on different days, it could sneak through. I wouldn't take the chance on spending $500 to send in a boatload of requests only to have them (justifiably) toss them all out for not handprinting the SASEs.

#28 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 15,003 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:48 am

"Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.pca.ne.jp."

I'm Gottadeal's Fix-It/D-I-Y guy. ~ Since 8/2/07, the Ban Hammer has fallen on 233 spammers! Hammer.gif

#29 Guest_Frieked_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_Frieked_*
  • Member since --

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 11:49 am

Yep, worth a shot, you should try sending a few of those in and if they come back then do some more. I doubt they have someone looking at them with a microscope examining if it's really handwritten.

#30 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 1, 2006 - 12:01 pm

I have no doubt you could fool them with one envelope. But Mark and Ross and some others plan to send a ton - and who knows if they would notice how exactly alike the "writing" is.

And since that would be a convenient excuse for them to not send the game pieces, I wouldn't be surprised if they would be looking for it. It certainly serves their interest to disqualify any invalid requests.

For one or a few envelopes mailed on different days, it could sneak through. I wouldn't take the chance on spending $500 to send in a boatload of requests only to have them (justifiably) toss them all out for not handprinting the SASEs.

Good point. Maybe a dozen mailed over the course of a week would slip through but if they received 100+ they would probably just toss them.

It isn't worth the risk so we'll be hand writing our envelopes :(

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users