Favorite BF Missed Stores and Memories

Kanyon71

Was just wondering what some of your favorite stores that have closed that you shopped on Black Friday are and some of your memories from them.

We really miss TRU, they always had some great deals and we would pick up things for our daughter nieces and nephews. It was always super busy but unlike some other really busy stores it wasn’t a bad experience, people were nice and the workers always helped.

I also miss Kmart, not so much for the deals but because I used to go shopping there for Black Friday with my grand mother once I was old enough.

• Like 1

Kmart because it used to be one of the only stores actually open on Thanksgiving Day, back when BF was on Friday. It was somewhere to go when we got bored on Thanksgiving afternoon, and I always did. We always ate our meal at high noon (or before) so the uncles and boy cousins could hit the road for deer camp. That left a long afternoon for us girls who got easily bored with football.
  • Like 1

Also don't know why JCPenney stopped doing the snow globes. They were always a favorite among most on here and a cheap way to get people into their stores to spend $. But that's just one of many bad decisions JCP has made over the years...

• Like 5

TRU, most definitely. They were always good for a last minute shipment of a must have item that I would stand in line all night for. 

Kmart because they had the Thanksgiving deals that went into the BF deals the same night

KB Toys just because it was my go to when my daughter was born and my mom shopped their for us as kids

Crazy 8 and Justice as they were the only store that I could find AFFORDABLE pants that was long enough for my daughter

West Point Stevens my grandmother would take us their every year for pictures with Santa and then we would shop for her Christmas to her self ( I think thats were I got it from)

There are many more but then I might date myself

Also don't know why JCPenney stopped doing the snow globes. They were always a favorite among most on here and a cheap way to get people into their stores to spend $. But that's just one of many bad decisions JCP has made over the years...

I agree .. they were always the reason we went and there most times we would always wind up buying something while we were there too.

I also miss Toys R' Us and Kmart. 

• Like 2

I miss having a little more money to spend on shopping.  As money got tighter, its prevented me from splurging as much, but also prevented me from traveling to stores in person which I enjoyed a lot.  Even if I had more money to spend, I'm not sure if I'd go to stores as much.  All I really have locally is Walmart and Dollar General, which I still check out, but if I want to go to more stores its an hour or so away, and I don't want to fight the traffic.

The last fun year I had going to a bunch of stores was I think the last year Circuit City was open.  I think the reason I enjoyed it so much was because I got to hang out with my best friend, it was like a tradition.  Those are the memories I miss.

• Like 3

I miss the hustle of in-store shopping; I loved mapping out my store runs, hitting up the mall after all the important stuff.

I also miss TRU. It takes me back to when my kids were younger and still in to toys. Meeting new people in line; helping each other complete their lists. Great times!

• Like 2

I really miss Toys R Us because the one I went to was great for getting what was on my list and checking out quickly. Really nice employees, too!

I also miss Kmart. Even though they didn't always have everything on my list in stock, I got many gifts that were loved there. It was usually the start of the majority of my Christmas shopping. 

The store I miss most for gifts for my daughter is Gordmans. She loved a lot of the stuff there. I remember a bitterly cold windy night standing in front of the store for hours for the doors to open so I could get her the zebra print trunk she really wanted. I knew they only had one left. Everyone else with me stayed warm in the car. It was all worth it to see the smile on her face when she received it.

• Like 1

I miss, Shop-co, Yonkers and Gordmans, Those three always had great deals for my growing children. I would always buy boots every year from Yonkers, Leggins from Gordmans, and toys at Shop-co 

I have never heard of these places. Now I miss not being able to miss the store....smh

• Like 2

I miss Bonton and Kmart. Bonton always had a $10 off a $10 purchase (excluding door busters) coupon in the newspaper and I got great stocking stuffers essentially for free with it every year.

We always did kmart Thanksgiving morning because without fail someone would forget an item needed for the big meal and we would get to run out and hit their sale and “save” Thanksgiving dinner too. Sometimes I feel like my grandpa would intentionally forget an ingredient just to give me an excuse to go to the store because he knew I loved going for the good deals too.

• Like 1

CompUSA before they became CompUSSR. They had one of the first ticketing systems and hot chocolate for everyone. I used to get in line, shop,  then dash to Walmart in another town to join the wife. This predated camping at Best Buy.

Circuit City. They were always second to Best Buy but made the it exciting to see how epically they would fail year after year.