Is there a guessing thread as to when the first ad will drop?

Peppermint

It should be soon right? I thought we’ve had some in September before.

When pulling up last years contests (the 1st Black Friday season with Covid), it looks like that contest was skipped as regular ads were kind of impossible, so the 1st contest happened on September 15th and was this

"We'll make this one simple. To be entered to win, reply to this thread with your answer to this question:

What traditional aspect(s) of Black Friday do you think you'll miss the most this year?"

I think right now it’s sort of hit or miss on how this year is going to play out. How the sales will even happen, will they be more like what were used to? Are they going to be spread out like last year? Will we have the normal BF ads and so on. Still a crazy world we are living in right now.
  • Like 1

From Fox Business

"As millions of Americans prepare to get ahead of their holiday shopping, retail experts say shipping delays and supply shortages are imminent."

"With shipping delays, there will be products that will just simply be unavailable as we get closer to Christmas," said Gretel Going, the founder of Fortune & Frame – a personalized jewelry company. "Bulky items such as TVs, furniture, tables, and rugs are going to be the worst affected by shipping disruptions. Smaller categories such as personal accessories and jewelry will not see the same disruption due to the ability to ship by air."

She went on, adding that retailers will likely discount items that are in stock for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but it’s going to become a challenge "as supply shortages mount."

"Currently, many retailers are low on inventory and don’t have definitive dates to restock their shelves. Holiday shoppers will contend with lack of inventory and higher costs," he shared. "Supply chains are interconnected and complex — whether it is a blockage in the Suez Canal, a fire at a chemical factory or shutdowns from a pandemic, when any link in that chain is disrupted, the impact can be felt globally."

In her words, "It would be beneficial for consumers this season to explore new brands that may not be their typical go-to."

I think I will miss the comraderie(?) and banter of all the other shoppers. With current conditions shoppers tend to be MUCH less willing to banter while waiting or shopping, even at a 6 foot distance with masks. We used to swap BF stories and strategy, now everyone sticks to their "bubble".

• Like 2

I love hunting for the best deal, dividing up into a strategy and then actually getting it home. I love the hustle and bustle of people. I love going to breakfast with all the family that went shopping together.

I never was able to do the breakfast thing. I usually am to tried and unload my car the next day. 

• Like 1

Yeah when the big stores announced early this year that they were going to close on Thanksgiving, I naively thought we'd get an "old school" Black Friday with single big sales starting early Friday morning. But unfortunately it's looking like a repeat of last year with stores spreading out the deals (that's assuming there will be any deals with costs rising and stock dwindling).

As for the contests, I'm waiting to have the shirts finalized before starting those. We'll probably do fewer contests with more winners each time because we want to make sure all the contests are done early in case there are any shipping issues as we get into November. I want to make sure the shirts arrive in time. I'll probably do a limited window where you can buy a shirt if you want as well.

• Like 5

I'll say it - I will miss the Thanksgiving evening openings.  That was the one time my mom and I could get out and go shopping together.  One (or both) of my kids will have hockey tournaments that will require me to get up on Friday morning and drive somewhere for the weekend, so I will miss any in store sales.  She and I would clean up after the family dinner and then take off for shenanigans, shopping and snacking until the wee hours.  We'd chitchat with anyone and everyone and in general, just have a fun time.  I missed it last year so much, but it sounds like I will have to wait a while longer for those days to come back. I'd much rather stay up late than get up early LOL

I will miss the anticipation and anxiety of getting the item I want either in store or online. I'm very worried about shipping issues and just stock issues in general this year. I'm wondering if stores will have even fewer of the much anticipated items in stock this year. My anxiety is already growing  :worried:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I feel it is gonna be later than usual. It seems like we have had something by now usually. Or am I wrong?

Yeah, one of the book stores and a few other minor stores but with the climate we are in I do not know if there will be much to leak and to what extent. I am hoping Target and Walmart will come on and release something as they will be doing a slow release most likely. 

I Although I am excited for the ads this year I do miss running to stores shopping and trying to get free stuff. My favorite was world market, you would have to find a bell and see what you win. I got $50 voucher used it to buy gifts, or running to JcPenny to get the free snow globe (even though the stopped it long time ago). Yep miss those days don't know how they could do it now
  • Like 2