Shop Early! Possible Shortages Loom This Holiday Season

magickallight

Per Fortune.com

Possible toys and more shortages loom this holiday season

Continuing troubles in the shipping industry are making toymakers and retailers concerned about whether there will be a sufficient supply of toys this holiday season. Concerned parents might want to begin shopping earlier than usual.

The disruption is even worse than last year, when many ports were closed, say toy industry execs. (Most toys are made in China.) This year, bottlenecks at seaports are to blame. Some toys are expected to experience months-long delays before hitting store shelves.

“There could be still unanticipated supply chain challenges, and it’s hard to tell what the future may hold,” Mattel CEO Ynon Kreiz said on an earnings call.

Even the toys that do make it to shelves could be more expensive. Manufacturers are running up costs as they try to combat the supply issue. As a result, renegotiations are underway with retailers on prices, which are normally agreed on up to a year in advance.

The Wall Street Journal notes that prices on L.O.L. Surprise dolls and Little Tikes have already seen some prices jump from $10 to $12 and from $29 to $35. And Mattel, on its earnings call, said the price of Barbies, Hot Wheels, Fisher-Price, and American Girl, along with other products, would be higher in the second half of the year, though it’s unclear if retailers will pass those costs along as well at this point.

Hasbro, also, says it will increase prices to "offset the rising cost of freight and commodities we continue to see across the business."

Retailers, typically, have holiday toys on shelves by October, catering to early shoppers. But supply chain issues could push that later, meaning the retail frenzy that usually starts in mid- to late-October could be even more ferocious this year—especially for the year’s hottest toys.

The moral of this story - SHOP EARLY!!!

• Like 4

Sounds like this is the year for "experience" gifts - museum/zoo memberships, water park passes and long weekend trips for the kiddos. They are mostly past the ages of wanting toys, thankfully.

I am not-very-patiently waiting for the new MacBook Pros to be announced, and I'm guessing this is going to affect the delivery timeline for those.  Rats.  My 10 year old really wants my current one; he may be waiting right alongside me. lol

• Like 7

Sounds like this is the year for "experience" gifts - museum/zoo memberships, water park passes and long weekend trips for the kiddos. They are mostly past the ages of wanting toys, thankfully.

I am not-very-patiently waiting for the new MacBook Pros to be announced, and I'm guessing this is going to affect the delivery timeline for those. Rats. My 10 year old really wants my current one; he may be waiting right alongside me. lol

With apple making more and more of the parts themselves and having so much sway with their vendors I don’t think it’s going to be a huge problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - this is NOT GOOD! :( I have been buying a little here and a little there are year so that I know the kids and grand-kids will have "Something" under their trees, but my kids are NOT listening to my advice. I figure if there are things I can get come Black Friday they may not get to me in time - so those will NOT be for Christmas gifts to avoid the "panic for the holidays" that many of us experienced last year.

I wonder if this is a way to get us to buy more earlier so they can get rid of inventory from last year? But then again the isles at the store have been kind of bare for toys most of the year. Not a big need in my home anymore but I think I will start to look around and get the must haves early. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My boys and the nieces and nephews are all teenagers.... all they want is cash and giftcards :). Gift wrapping will be a breeze this year, lol.

Until you start overthinking cool ways to wrap them! A couple years ago I wrapped gift cards in plastic and stuck them in a jar of slime for my teenaged nieces and nephew.
  • Like 1

"Order your Christmas presents now," UPS chief says amid supply chain drag

By Rachel Layne

September 13, 2021 / 6:39 PM / MoneyWatch

Supply chain problems that stymied retailers and clogged U.S. ports this year are expected to continue into 2022 as the COVID-19 Delta variant's effects linger. That means shoppers face potential delays in retailers replenishing everything from video games to clothing — especially during the coming holiday season.

"I half-jokingly tell people 'Order your Christmas presents now because otherwise on Christmas day, there may just be a picture of something that's not coming until February or March,'" Scott Price, the international president for shipping giant UPS, told the AFP wire service.

Some consumers are already buying holiday gifts. More than 1 in 4 holiday shoppers plan to start by the end of this month, while more than half plan to start before Halloween, according to a new CreditCards.com survey.

Almost two-thirds of holiday shoppers plan to make those purchases online, according to the survey. That's less than last year, but more than in pre-pandemic times, a signal of solid consumer demand, Ted Rossman, a senior industry analyst for CreditCards.com, told CBS MoneyWatch.

A semiconductor shortage riled industries from autos to consumer electronics earlier this year. Raw material shortages, like for wood, slowed the home-repair and building industries. But less-publicized industries — like clothes and toys — may not be able to get supplies on store shelves fast enough in what's expected to be a robust and long-selling holiday season, Rossman said.

"It's a good idea to start early," Rossman told CBS MoneyWatch. "And if you see something you want, and you want to get it for one of your friends or family members, it's probably good to jump on it."

Part of the issue, UPS's Price told AFP, is that low vaccination rates in countries that supply raw materials and components will continue to slow shipments, because higher rates of COVID-19 will lead to port closures. Once those shipments arrive at U.S. ports, they are likely to wait to be unloaded amid a labor shortage here.

Experts say retailers are preparing for the inevitable pile-ups.

"Retailers are keenly aware of the shipping bottlenecks and placed their holiday orders amid continuing healthy retail demand from consumers," Coresight Research CEO Deborah Weinswig wrote in a blog this week. "They face the concerns of ordered items not arriving on time to make it to the shelves for the holidays, given the unanticipated recent port closures."

A wide swath of retailers from Best Buy to Nordstrom are expecting some stress, recent earnings calls compiled by industry publication Retail Dive show. Many are arranging for more transportation, smoother logistics and earlier deliveries in preparation for the end of the year, according to the transcripts of the various calls. At Walmart and Target, open positions include more supply-chain associates.

"It may vary from company to company, industry to industry, even store to store," Rossman said. "Sometimes — and we saw this during back-to-school shopping — there are stores that are totally picked over. And then a few miles away, they were really well stocked. So I think that's all the more reason to start early. Give yourself some time, you know, don't be caught by surprise by any of this."

• Like 2

"Order your Christmas presents now," UPS chief says amid supply chain drag

By Rachel Layne

September 13, 2021 / 6:39 PM / MoneyWatch

Supply chain problems that stymied retailers and clogged U.S. ports this year are expected to continue into 2022 as the COVID-19 Delta variant's effects linger. That means shoppers face potential delays in retailers replenishing everything from video games to clothing — especially during the coming holiday season.

"I half-jokingly tell people 'Order your Christmas presents now because otherwise on Christmas day, there may just be a picture of something that's not coming until February or March,'" Scott Price, the international president for shipping giant UPS, told the AFP wire service.

Some consumers are already buying holiday gifts. More than 1 in 4 holiday shoppers plan to start by the end of this month, while more than half plan to start before Halloween, according to a new CreditCards.com survey.

Almost two-thirds of holiday shoppers plan to make those purchases online, according to the survey. That's less than last year, but more than in pre-pandemic times, a signal of solid consumer demand, Ted Rossman, a senior industry analyst for CreditCards.com, told CBS MoneyWatch.

A semiconductor shortage riled industries from autos to consumer electronics earlier this year. Raw material shortages, like for wood, slowed the home-repair and building industries. But less-publicized industries — like clothes and toys — may not be able to get supplies on store shelves fast enough in what's expected to be a robust and long-selling holiday season, Rossman said.

"It's a good idea to start early," Rossman told CBS MoneyWatch. "And if you see something you want, and you want to get it for one of your friends or family members, it's probably good to jump on it."

Part of the issue, UPS's Price told AFP, is that low vaccination rates in countries that supply raw materials and components will continue to slow shipments, because higher rates of COVID-19 will lead to port closures. Once those shipments arrive at U.S. ports, they are likely to wait to be unloaded amid a labor shortage here.

Experts say retailers are preparing for the inevitable pile-ups.

"Retailers are keenly aware of the shipping bottlenecks and placed their holiday orders amid continuing healthy retail demand from consumers," Coresight Research CEO Deborah Weinswig wrote in a blog this week. "They face the concerns of ordered items not arriving on time to make it to the shelves for the holidays, given the unanticipated recent port closures."

A wide swath of retailers from Best Buy to Nordstrom are expecting some stress, recent earnings calls compiled by industry publication Retail Dive show. Many are arranging for more transportation, smoother logistics and earlier deliveries in preparation for the end of the year, according to the transcripts of the various calls. At Walmart and Target, open positions include more supply-chain associates.

"It may vary from company to company, industry to industry, even store to store," Rossman said. "Sometimes — and we saw this during back-to-school shopping — there are stores that are totally picked over. And then a few miles away, they were really well stocked. So I think that's all the more reason to start early. Give yourself some time, you know, don't be caught by surprise by any of this."

I think I will be doing everything I can super early or it will be a giftcard Christmas

• Like 1

I was shopping for a couple of birthday presents last week and had to make some different choices due to shipping times.  I have a 2 week window and thought that would be fine.  The shipping is really getting bad.  My DH works for Sams and they are having delivery delays (minor) due to staffing issues.   Lesson learned  early ! 

• Like 1

This year is going to be much worse than last year. I think if you don't have a handle on your Christmas shopping by the end of October, you are out of luck on some things. Even in the brick and mortar stores there are empty shelves already. I'm so glad I don't have little kids that want the popular toy this year.

• Like 4

This year is going to be much worse than last year. I think if you don't have a handle on your Christmas shopping by the end of October, you are out of luck on some things. Even in the brick and mortar stores there are empty shelves already. I'm so glad I don't have little kids that want the popular toy this year.

I agree 100%. You cant wait and I think the scalpers are going to be horrible this year. If it is a must have you need to buy it ASAP. 

I am seeing more and more of these articles/warnings popping up on different sites. :( This one comes from Llbean.com ...

HELPING YOU NAVIGATE HOLIDAY SHOPPING

We want to be real with you: we’re facing some unique challenges this year. People have been getting outside in record numbers (and that’s great!), but high demand paired with extraordinary global events means we may not have some of the products you’re looking for right now. You can be confident that we’re working around the clock to get items back in stock and on your doorstep as soon as possible. Thanks for sticking with us!

We’re putting people before packages

Due to extra precautions in our warehouse, widespread worker shortages, and disruptions in the global supply chain, we’re seeing more backorders and longer shipping times than usual. We appreciate your patience as we work to keep things moving, while continuing to maintain safe and healthy conditions for our fulfillment team in Maine and our vendors around the world.

We’re dealing with supply chain uncertainty

Getting products from our manufacturers to Maine to you has been particularly challenging this year. From ongoing port congestion and ships getting stuck in canals, to shipping container and truck driver shortages, this is an issue that’s reverberating across the entire retail industry. Our teams are working constantly to get items back in stock and fulfill all backorders, and will continue to work closely with our partners to ensure your items reach you as quickly as possible.

Our direct-ship vendors are also impacted

Some of our bigger equipment items (like kayaks) and home products (like outdoor furniture) bypass our warehouse and are shipped directly to you from the vendor. This is called “direct ship” in industry lingo. We work closely with our partners to ship as quickly as possible, but lead times may still be longer than usual.

The earlier you shop, the better off you’ll be

Our inventory experts recommend that if you see what you want, don’t hesitate – buy it! Inventory is going quickly, so snag in-stock items while you can. And even if an item you want is on backorder, go ahead and reserve it anyway. Putting your orders in earlier will give us time to get them back in stock – and get them to you as soon as possible, so you can put them to good use in the outdoors.

• Like 1

This was on our local news this morning, talking about empty shelves and shortages this holiday season. They said the same thing, start your shopping early and if you see a must have item on your list get it then and don't wait for a sale since it may sellout before you an get it. 

• Like 1