Shop Early! Possible Shortages Loom This Holiday Season

magickallight

How in the heck do you stuff a prime rib?!? LOL! ;)

I actually have found what seems like a wonderful online exotic and regular meat supplier - should have a Christmas goose (which I have NOT been able to get where I live sine 1998! Ordered some other things to check them out first - BUT if these work out  - they have just gotten a shipment of turkeys in - as well as prime rib and everything from, yak & ostrich, to alligator. Will advise once I am sure everything is good - but since they have over 20 physical locations - I think it will be. :::Fingers Crossed!:::

Poke holes and fill with garlic cloves.

• Like 1

How in the heck do you stuff a prime rib?!? LOL! ;)

I actually have found what seems like a wonderful online exotic and regular meat supplier - should have a Christmas goose (which I have NOT been able to get where I live sine 1998! Ordered some other things to check them out first - BUT if these work out - they have just gotten a shipment of turkeys in - as well as prime rib and everything from, yak & ostrich, to alligator. Will advise once I am sure everything is good - but since they have over 20 physical locations - I think it will be. :::Fingers Crossed!:::

Who is it? I would like some of those meats.
  • Like 1

Who is it? I would like some of those meats.

Shipment arrived and everything looks good! :) The name of the company is Wild Fork. I am also using Misfit Market for my fruits and vegetables and they have just started carrying some meats and meat substitutes as well. If anyone wants to try Misfit Markets - just PM me and I have coupons I can give towards them.

With the shortages at the stores we have been experimenting with other ways to get our food - some are great - like the ones above - other ... NOT so much. ;)

• Like 3

I am looking forward to trying all of the above! :hungry:  Got in some veal stew meat that I can't wait to experiment with! :stir:  I could spend days on that site and still feel like I haven't seen everything! With more that 600 items it is a lot to take in.

Something I had not thought about... Artificial Christmas Trees!

Per CNN.com:

"Thomas Harman is the founder and CEO of Balsam Hill, a retailer of home décor products with a focus on high-end artificial Christmas trees. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his own. "

Perspectives Thomas Harman

Right now, the American supply chain — which includes US ports, railroads, trucks, delivery services, warehouses and the many people who run them — is overwhelmed. As the economy recovers, there is a growing demand for an array of consumer goods as well as the parts, raw materials and other inputs that manufacturers use. Because many of these items are imported, ports get backed up and cargo ships wait offshore. Rail lines have to pause service to major hubs, like Chicago, due to congestion. Trucks wait for hours to get in and out of ports. And as all of these supply chain components move more slowly, none of them can be as efficient and the cost of doing business increases.
For businesses like mine that depend on an efficient supply chain to help deliver products to our customers, importing goods right now is a bit like trying to catch an Uber or Lyft at the stadium right after a big football game: You may have to wait a long time to get a ride, you pay surge pricing rates, your ride gets stuck in traffic, and you have to pay for the extra time it took to reach your destination.

In fact, we are paying four to 10 times more than in prior years just to get a container of our products — such as artificial Christmas trees, wreaths and other holiday decorations — from Asia to our warehouses in the United States. Even at these increased shipping prices, we still cannot get enough cargo space on ocean freight ships to import all the products we hope to sell this year. When we do get space, the shipping companies often ship our products several weeks or months later than initially promised.

To add insult to injury, after we have unloaded a shipping container into a warehouse, the US ports are often too congested for us to return the empty container, so the shipping companies charge us "detention and demurrage" fees for holding containers too long. These charges sometimes exceed what we paid to ship a container all the way across the Pacific last year.

For retailers like us, this means that we have to raise prices and cut costs by hiring fewer people. We have also had to make hard choices about which products we will have available to our customers, since it is unlikely that we will be able to get all of our products here before the Christmas shopping season. For smaller retailers, especially mom-and-pop shops that are struggling to make a comeback after the Covid shutdowns, they may not be able to get products in at all.
As a result, Americans can expect more product shortages, higher prices and the closing of stores that can't secure enough inventory to stay in business unless supply chain congestion abates.

It seems like everyone is trying to profit off the American consumers. This is not the case in other countries, but as long as we continue to pay the outrageous prices why should they stop. I bet if the products backed up in there warehouses they will stop this madness. I really don't believe it is a shortage but greed, same thing with oil.

• Like 2

I was watching the news the other night and they showed cargo ships waiting in the sea to get into the ports! I'm honestly getting alittle worried. I'm going to go with the flow and try not to stress too much if something is out of stock.

I woulds start to think of substitutions or a non traditional type of meal. Christmas a few years back we did Italian, New years was Seafood, etc. It might be that type of year but as long as we were altogether than it didn't matter. 

• Like 2

I know it's a niche market, but a small business site that we use for a lot of hockey "stuff" (not gear, but just assorted crap that seems to come with the sport), is moving their major sales from November to October. They are concerned about shipping times and want to make sure we can stuff our stockings on time.  I've also seen one mom-and-pop shop we use, switch from USPS to UPS. Not sure if that will help a ton, but they are trying. 

I saw shoepeg corn in a can the other day, and le Seur peas (both staples of the bean salad my mom makes for Thanksgiving and Christmas).  I went ahead and got a few of each because last year I couldn't find either one when it was closer to the feast days.  Not sure what we will do around turkey, but it won't break my heart if we have something else.  There's always so much left over, and usually by then we are traveling every weekend for sports and it's March before we can use anything that's been frozen.  DH is a turkey traditionalist but maybe this year I will convince him that we can have beef.  

• Like 1

My oldest always mocked my pantry. He was pretty happy to stop by and grab k-cups and toilet paper when the shelves were bare.

R.6e5ed8ad5fc8c24de8d6564c852585a9?rik=u

I hear ya...guess who was first in line to get toilet paper, paper towels, disinfectant wipes, etc when the pandemic shut everything down, lol! I betcha they won't laugh anymore, never hurts to be prepared.
  • Like 3

I was not aware of this. I only have 1 grand nephew to buy for.

He will be 1 in Nov. So suggestions are welcome. PLEASE

(His family is not Name Brand fanatics.) Thanks

My 1 year old boy loves Little People sets, especially the vehicles with person. There's the kind without noise (around $5ish, vehicle about the size of my palm with a Little People figure) or the ones that light up/sing ($10-$20 with 1-2 figurines, larger, about a foot long) If you're budget is a little higher, the Little People barn is a daily play item, $35ish.

ABC wooden blocks, Green Toys vehicles/wagon, Peek a Flap books (very sturdy lift the flap books, lots of topics. Peek a MOO!! Is a favorite.) Push toys like the Fisher Price corn popper- my kiddo wants a duck push toy that quacks, I'm grabbing it next time I'm in Walmart or making a Walmart order.

• Like 1

This was on the today Show this morning...

Halloween shoppers faces shortages in costumes, decorations, pumpkins

With just a few weeks to go until Halloween, stores are scrambling to get enough costumes and decorations on the shelves. Supply chain issues are creating major problems for retailers, and customers could face some scary prices. NBC’s Kathy Park reports for TODAY.

CLICK HERE for Video

Target chartered its own container ship to sidestep the global shipping crisis ahead of the holiday shopping season

https://www.businessinsider.com/target-chartered-cargo-ship-to-sidestep-global-shipping-crisis-2021-9

Also heard this on Fox News the other day.  

"The cost to transport shipping containers between China and the United States surged to a record high in September.

According to the Freightos Index, the median cost of shipping a standard rectangular metal container from China to the West Coast hit $20,586, nearly double what it cost in July, which was twice what it cost in January."

giphy.gif

• Like 1

"The cost to transport shipping containers between China and the United States surged to a record high in September.

According to the Freightos Index, the median cost of shipping a standard rectangular metal container from China to the West Coast hit $20,586, nearly double what it cost in July, which was twice what it cost in January."

giphy.gif

That is MASSIVELY going to affect the prices we pay on EVERYTHING! :(

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Supply and Demand. Someone always will find a way to profit in the mist of a crisis. 

I've been seeing less on shelves and what's there, is going up and up in price.

Unfortunately, my printer decided to call it quits and I'm trying to find another (can't wait for BF [emoji24]), and they are more expensive than I think they should be and in short supply. [emoji16]

• Like 1

Unfortunately, my printer decided to call it quits and I'm trying to find another (can't wait for BF [emoji24]), and they are more expensive than I think they should be and in short supply. [emoji16]

Yep, went for my favorite cheap ceral and it is a dollar more than I usually pay. I could have under stood .25 but a whole dollar....I will pass, off brand here I come

• Like 2

My printer died during the quarantine period of the pandemic last year - it took me almost a month to get one in and I paid almost double for the same model I had purchased a few years before. :( Staples finally came through for me with a $20 off a $100+ purchase couopn (which they run quite often - so keep your eye out for that... every little bit helps!) :)

• Like 2

My 1 year old boy loves Little People sets, especially the vehicles with person. There's the kind without noise (around $5ish, vehicle about the size of my palm with a Little People figure) or the ones that light up/sing ($10-$20 with 1-2 figurines, larger, about a foot long) If you're budget is a little higher, the Little People barn is a daily play item, $35ish.

ABC wooden blocks, Green Toys vehicles/wagon, Peek a Flap books (very sturdy lift the flap books, lots of topics. Peek a MOO!! Is a favorite.) Push toys like the Fisher Price corn popper- my kiddo wants a duck push toy that quacks, I'm grabbing it next time I'm in Walmart or making a Walmart order.

Thank You Thank You. I will find some (Barn sounds cool).

Got a pile of books ( more than I planned on but there were so many choices) the other day in Ollie’s. Will do for birthday and Christmas but toys are wanted too. Thanks!

Yep, went for my favorite cheap ceral and it is a dollar more than I usually pay. I could have under stood .25 but a whole dollar....I will pass, off brand here I come

If you have it try Aldi. A lot of their store brand cereal is made by major brands. I liked the PB&an one lol.

We need a good one also but I’m not about to pay $300 for it. I’ll either keep up with the lesser one until the insanity stops or stop printing lol
  • Like 2

Per CNN.com

Grocery store shelves aren't going back to normal this year

f you hoped grocery stores this fall and winter would look like they did in the Before Times, with limitless options stretching out before you in the snack, drink, candy and frozen foods aisles, get ready for some disappointing news.

Many of the country's biggest food makers are telling grocers that they will have limited quantities of a number of their products, including things like Rice Krispies Treats, Sour Patch Kids, some Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavors, McCormick gourmet spices, and Marie Callender's pot pies because of labor, commodity and transportation constraints throttling supply chains, according to emails viewed by CNN and interviews with grocers. Some suppliers are also telling grocers to cancel their promotions of these items and more over the holidays so these items won't disappear from store shelves as quickly.

These latest limits mean that stores won't have all things for all customers heading into the holidays, and shoppers may not be able to find some of their favorite products, flavors or niche items. But shoppers will still have plenty of options, including most of these companies' core products, which they are prioritizing over their products in less demand — meaning, for instance, that if you're a fan of Ben & Jerry's popular Phish Food, you shouldn't have a problem, but the company's less-well known Cold Brew Caramel Latte might be harder to find.

Major food and consumer product manufacturers being short of supply on some items "will be a challenge in the grocery industry" in the final months of the year, said Steve Howard, vice president of merchandising at Bristol Farms, a grocery chain in California. Suppliers are warning the company of "potential shortages" of foods, glass jars and packaging containers. In response, Bristol Farms is working to bring in inventory "earlier than any other holiday ever," Howard said.

Food makers are telling grocery stores and their distributors they will have limits on products such as Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish in the coming months due to a host of labor and supply chain pressures.

Purchase limits from manufacturers were rare before the pandemic and are creating "lesser than full conditions" for customers in Morton Williams stores, said Steve Schwartz, director of sales at the New York area chain. Morton Williams is trying to tap secondary suppliers when its primary vendors for food and household essentials can't fulfill orders.
"It's not your ideal situation," Schwartz said. Some customers have been forgiving when they are unable to find what they're looking for. But others "just want to know why they can't get their item."

Shortages at grocery stores are nowhere near as visible as they were at the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak, when shoppers flocked to stores to stockpile food and household staples. But supply in grocery store aisles has not fully recovered to pre-pandemic levels, and companies such as Costco and Sam's Club have recently reinstated purchase limits for customers on paper products and cleaning supplies.

Around 18% of beverages, 15% of frozen foods, 16% of snacks, 15% of candy and 18% of bakery items were out of stock at stores during the week ending on October 3, according to the latest data from IRI, which tracks in-stock levels at leading US grocery chains, big box stores, pharmacies and wholesale clubs.
Before the pandemic, 7% to 10% of products were typically out of stock on shelves, according to IRI.
When supply is tight, manufacturers often eliminate some of their fringe items to focus on ramping up production of top-selling products, said Krishnakumar Davey, president of IRI's strategic analytics practice. They also tend to cut products that are more expensive to make, according to Davey.

'The new norm'
Some food brands are imposing allocations, or purchase caps, for certain products on grocery stores and distributors, while other vendors are warning more generally of limited availability. Suppliers typically put products on allocation when there are supply shortfalls.

The allocations have not been confined to one area of the country or a single type of retailer, said an executive at a leading regional wholesaler. Instead, they are happening nationally, according to the executive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect the company's relationships with suppliers and other wholesalers. But the limits could pose particular challenges for independent grocers, who have raised concerns in the past year that suppliers prioritize larger competitors over small stores.

Kellogg told at least four grocery distributors last month in an email that Pringles Snacks Stacks, Eggo pancakes and MorningStar Farms plant-based hot dogs and bacon will be on allocation and Rice Krispies Treats snacks "will remain below service expectations" through the end of the year. The company also requested that stores cancel their promotions for Rice Krispies and Corn Pops cereal "to allow for recovery." Kellogg said in the email that it was experiencing "constraints" in capacity and packaging materials and labor pressure. (This was before 1,400 Kellogg cereal factory workers went on strike Tuesday.)

The four distributors shared the email with CNN Business on the condition of anonymity to avoid jeopardizing their relationships with suppliers.

Mondelez is experiencing "limited availability" on items such as Sour Patch Kids and Swedish fish candy, Toblerone chocolate and Halls cough drops "due to supply chain constraints," the company said in an October 1 email to a distributor. Mondelez estimated in the email that the "recovery date" for these items will be in February or March of next year.

A spokesperson for the multinational food and beverage company said in an email that the company is facing "high demand for labor" and "logistics challenges." Mondelez believes it is "relatively well-positioned to face the marketplace challenges and will continue to keep a close eye on things" to get products to retail customers and shoppers on time. The company also did not say how many retailers received limits on such items, but said "we prepare communications which our sales team has the ability to use, as appropriate, as they engaged with their customers."

Unilever told a distributor in an email on September 14 that "labor shortages continue to drive a limited ability to meet demand" and it was de-prioritizing production on certain products including Ben & Jerry's Cold Brew Caramel Latte and Ice Cream Sammie flavors, Breyers vanilla fudge twirl ice cream and Firecracker popsicles "until we are able to return to a supply steady-state." The company said it would instead "focus labor hours on our top-selling items."

"Like many sectors, at times there are challenges in getting all our product to stores, for a variety of reasons related to supply and distribution," a Unilever spokesperson told CNN said in an email.
Packaging issues also continue to be a problem. For example, some seasonings are in tight supply due to challenges procuring glass bottles.

A McCormick representative said in an email to two distributors on September 20 that "our U.S. bottle supplier shut down due to a Covid related issue and we have not received bottles for several weeks" for its gourmet spices line. "The lack of bottles has impacted our production and is eroding our safety stock across the entire line," the representative said. As a result, McCormick said, it would ship approximately 70% of what it had previously forecast, and the company was encouraging customers to cancel their promotions in November and December for the spices line.
Lori Robinson, a spokesperson for McCormick, said in an email to CNN Business that "Gourmet is the only product line impacted by this packaging shortage," and the company's more recognizable red-cap spices will be fully in-stock throughout the holidays, which customers can use as a substitute for the gourmet spices, she said. The company did not say how many retailers received allocation notifications on gourmet seasonings.
And some sizes of Marie Callender's frozen pot pies could be harder to find.

Major food and consumer product manufacturers being short of supply on some items "will be a challenge in the grocery industry" in the final months of the year, said Steve Howard, vice president of merchandising at Bristol Farms, a grocery chain in California. Suppliers are warning the company of "potential shortages" of foods, glass jars and packaging containers. In response, Bristol Farms is working to bring in inventory "earlier than any other holiday ever," Howard said.

Grocery store shelves aren't going back to normal this year

I certainly agree that overall prices are on the rise and I have seen some sporadic out of stock or low stock situations, but, for the most part, I have not been spending more and I have not had to do without.  I just compiled a shopping list for my Hannaford run tomorrow...

24 Oz. Kahiki Orange Chicken $5.99 - $1.25 coupon = $4.73
20 Oz. Barilla Vero Gusto Calabrian Marinara Sauce $4.99/Ea. - $2.00 = $2.99
Cabot 8 oz. Seriously Sharp Cheese $5.29 - $3.00 = $2.29
Fresh Gulf of Maine All Natural Atlantic Salmon Fillets $11.99/Lb. - $4.00 = $7.99
Bone-In Pork Butt $0.99/Lb,
Broccoli Crowns or baby carrots $0.99/Lb.
Butternut Squash $0.59/Lb.
Hersheys, Mars or Nestle Fun or Snack Size Candy 2/$6.00
Sugardale Shank Portion Ham $1.29/Lb

minus $12 off $60 shopping cart
minus $2.08 in rewards

Last week at Shaws...
$0.99 for Green Giant 10 oz frozen vegetables
$4.06 / # for bacon (I got four pounds.  Could have bought twenty.  No allocation issues where I shop.
$1.77 for boneless, skinless chicken breast
$0.58 for a head of iceberg lettuce
$0.97 / # baby carrots

I did not notice bare shelves at either store.  

And LOL at 'four distributors shared the email with CNN Business on the condition of anonymity to avoid jeopardizing their relationships with suppliers'.  A real news story would have told you WHY they are having supply chain, labor, and transportation issues.  

Here is where Kelloggs manufactures stuff...
USAManufacturingplants05202001.png

Most of the states where Kelloggs does business were still offering enhanced unemployment benefits in August per CNBC.

A decent reporter might have disclosed that...

Work at all of the Kellogg Company's U.S. cereal plants came to a halt Tuesday [October 5th] as roughly 1,400 workers went on strike, but it wasn't immediately clear how much the supply of Frosted Flakes or any of the company's other iconic brands would be disrupted.

The strike includes plants in Omaha, Nebraska Battle Creek, Michigan; Lancaster, Pennsylvania; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The union and the Battle Creek-based company have been at an impasse at the bargaining table for more than a year, said Daniel Osborn, president of the local union in Omaha. The dispute involves an assortment of pay and benefit issues such as the loss premium health care, holiday and vacation pay and reduced retirement benefits

I don't have time to fact check the entire story, but I'd have to give the article five Pinocchios based on my shopping experience, use of anonymous sources, and failure to consider other factors -- such as strikes and enhanced unemployment benefits.

Personally, I believe some of these companies are manufacturing crises to justify price hikes.  Remember the egg shortage?  Just like that.

Relax, shop more stores, and turn off CNN.  

• Like 4

If you have it try Aldi. A lot of their store brand cereal is made by major brands. I liked the PB&an one lol.

We need a good one also but I’m not about to pay $300 for it. I’ll either keep up with the lesser one until the insanity stops or stop printing lol

I do have Aldi's and I shop there but usually for produce and meats. I think I will have to give them a try because I save a lot on my other items. 

• Like 2

I do have Aldi's and I shop there but usually for produce and meats. I think I will have to give them a try because I save a lot on my other items. 

Aldi is a go-to store on my shopping list... I find good deals there and some of their items I like better than name brand... it's all about what you like... if taste and quality are good to me, IDC what name is on the package if I get it at a good price...

• Like 1

Was just in Blains farm and fleet and they have their toy section blocked off. Because they have their “Toyland” ad starting Saturday. I was was glad I didn’t need to shop for a birthday. To see toys but they have them blocked off and a sign saying x number of day until toyland.