Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

a few simple (yet noobish) questions regarding enom

4 replies to this topic

#1 Mojoed  OFFLINE  

Mojoed

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 7, 2004 - 9:39 pm

First a bit of backround. I've decided I'm going to buy domains for my entire family/extended family for Christmas gifts this year. It's probably going to be 50+ domains. So I'm sitting at namecheap.com, adding lots-o-domains to my cart when I realized (almost too late!) what a total nightmare this would be administering and transferring ownership etc etc to my family members. This is where I started researching and found out about enom reseller accounts. (I'll probably pick up one of those $6.95 emon accounts on ebay)It seems to me this would solve all my potential problems. Ok, now my noob questions: Would buying an emon reseller account be the best option for my situation? (cutting down on administering, and giving control to my family members) Are the emon reseller accounts for reselling domains ONLY, or would I have to provide hosting too? I'm not in a position to host anything, I'd like to leave that part up to each family member. Thanks in advance, any additional tips would be welcomed!

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 7, 2004 - 9:42 pm

Hi Mojoed, Welcome to the forums :) When you say it would be a nightmare to administer the domains, how do you figure? I would make sure the registrant/admin/tech contacts belong to the respective domain owners. You just set the DNS name servers and forget it.

#3 Mojoed  OFFLINE  

Mojoed

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 7, 2004 - 10:00 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm beginning to think I need to learn more about this stuff. I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions. That make any sense? I probably need to see first-hand how this stuff works in order to fully understand what I'm about to get myself in to. If I were to buy an emon reseller account, would I be better off buying all these domains myself, then giving them to my family members? Or have them buy the domains from me, and me reimburse them? (since these will be gifts) My goal is to provide the domains with the least amount of work for me possible, now and in the future. Thanks again!

#4 idologic_dh  OFFLINE  

idologic_dh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 8, 2004 - 8:22 am

I think an enom reseller account would work out just fine. You can register the domain for them. Enom does provide some type of basic hosting but there's a small fee for that. (Perhaps a small reseller account would work better?). Do you know what domains you wanted to get for them? Are these .name domains?

#5 steveh  OFFLINE  

steveh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 9, 2004 - 6:49 am

I'd probably go the enom reseller route (of course, I'm a bit biased, since I'm an enom ETP ;)) You can get a free enom reseller account from me, or from several others floating around on the net, and possibly within this forum. This type of account will give you the ability to purchase the most common TLDs (.com, .net, .org) for $8.95 per year (there are minimal other fees as well, check out the link in my signature for a full explanation). You can also *buy* an enom reseller account on ebay. The going rate for a $6.95 reseller account is roughly $200. So, if you were planning on buying 100 "domain-years" of registration, it would definitely be worth it to buy a $6.95 account. If you don't expect to use that much any time soon (and you've indicated you might not based on the fact that you don't want to host, or get into the business of selling domain names), it *might* not be worth it. Now... administration... as an enom reseller, you can update domain contact info en masse. (Which I'm personally thrilled about, as I will be moving in a couple of months and will have to update the contact info on my entire stable of 126 domain names.) You can also give each individual person access to maintain their domain record, while still maintaining ultimate control over the details in the event of a problem. You can provide hosting through enom (or through any other hosting reseller relationship you'd like), or you can choose not to provide hosting. This is entirely up to you. If you don't provide hosting, or it's done external to enom, you (or the recipient of the domain name) would just go into the management record for that individual domain and update the DNS entry to point to the correct host. If you want to "experiment" with this, let me know, I'll set you up (for free) with an $8.95 account, and you can get in there and play around and see what you think. <edit to add> It's also worth noting that *you* can administer all of these domains by using a single password, while giving each of the "recipients" their own password that only works for their domain name. </edit>

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users