Official "What did you buy? / How were the crowds?" Thread

Brad

As always, let's have this single thread for you to share what deals you scored, both online and in stores, as well as any experiences you feel like sharing about the ordering/shopping process.

Also, if you went to any physical brick & mortar stores, let the rest of us know how that went. How big were the crowds? Any wait to get in the store or any other 2020-related issues?

So I stayed up ‘til midnight last night to get my pick of The Big One Throws that were available for store pickup at my local Kohl’s. I got the email and a text right at 9am this morning that they were ready for pickup. I placed the order for store pickup, but what I didn’t know was that they also offer a “drive-up” service. In my pickup ready email, it said to park in one of the drive-up parking spots, which are super close to the store and clearly marked. I parked in one, and clicked the link in the email that tells an associate that I’m there for my order. Then it tells you to enter the number of the spot you’re in (1-4), and the color and make of your car. 

After just a few minutes, a nice lady in a yellow vest comes out of the store, loaded down with bags of Big One Throws! Poor lady lol. So I have my driver window and driver side rear window down, and tell her she can just lob them into the backseat (If you have a fancy newer suv, you could also just pop the back hatch from where you are). She stuffed the bags in and that was that! There’s a barcode in the email that they might need to scan but they didn’t scan mine; she said it was good to go. I loved this drive-in pickup experience! She said the store inside wasn’t bad at all, but they had over 1600 online orders to get filled so that was hectic. So yeah, Kohl’s gets 5 stars from me today! :)

• Like 2

I also hit up Bath and Body Works today. I know their BF week starts tomorrow, but since I had to go to Kohl’s anyhow, I thought I’d stop here too. They opened at noon at this store, and I was second in a line that I wasn’t expecting. But they had a $10 off all 3 wick candles sale going on, so maybe that was why. They only let 10 in at a time I believe. We got in and got our shopping bags, and the game was on! I grabbed some buy 2, get 1 free fragrance mists, a 3 wick, 6 for $26 soaps, and a new loofah. It was busy but not crazy, and the checkout lines are well organized. I’ve definitely got a head start on holiday shopping! 

Edited by BFgrl79
  • Like 1

Ordered my son a new laptop from Staples, video game from Best Buy, earrings for DD from Macy’s all for store pickup this morning.  Hit a few other stores today but ended up leaving when I saw the lines wrapping around the stores.  No issues at Staples or Best Buy for pick up.  Macy’s was another story.  I had purchased the pearl earrings that were $4.99.  I already had been to Staples so did not want to go into the mall and figured I would just opt for the curbside pickup.  Also we had a shooting at this mall about 6 weeks ago where they still haven’t found the person. 40 minutes later and getting a manager involved till I finally got them.  Because they were jewelry they wanted to make me go in.  Finally agreed to bring them out but first they come out and want me to give my license to them to take inside. No way was that happening. I will never order from them again for pickup.

Disappointed that this will be the first year I don’t get to shop with my mom.  It is our yearly tradition, but she is now home under quarantine  .  I’ll be doing the shopping for her with my daughter while she is home. 

Edited by mommy2twingles

I ordered my usual BF Kohl’s items several weeks ago when they did their pre-BF sale and took advantage of their curbside pickup for what I could. I must say I was impressed with how smoothly that entire process went because in the past when I’ve done store pickup I’ve had to wait for that seems like an eternity for someone to find my stuff. Best Buy curbside pickup was pretty efficient last week as well. Saturday I ordered a big Squishmallow from Walgreens for $10 and since things had been going so well at others places I opted for their curbside pickup as well. I ended up waiting 20 minutes before I decided to dig out a mask (thankfully I had one in the car) and went inside to retrieve it. I met the person in the doorway with my order, he apologized profusely for taking so long so I can’t fault them either. He said they had been slammed with curbside pickups since they recently started it and still working out some kinks. It works like most others I’ve used....tap the “I’m here” link, provide vehicle info and wait. The email actually says to call the store if you wait more than 5 minutes but goodness that doesn’t seem like enough time for someone to get the notification, find the merchandise, complete the sale and bring it to your vehicle. All in all I’ve been happy with everyone’s curbside pickup that I’ve used for BF shopping.
  • Like 1

I have done 90% of my shopping online this year with either free delivery or in store pick up and it has gone pretty well. I was disappointed in the game selection at Target and Macy’s door busters (especially the iron) have not yet gone live but others have and are out of stock so hard to meet the $25 for free shipping but I’m almost done

We went to Walmart last week for their sale. Didn't get there until 8:30 am, plenty of sale items all over the store and not many people in the store. Was able to get almost everything on my list (pjs, dvds) and was in and out in no time. DH and I went to another larger Walmart that night and were able to get a few things that our local walmart didn't have. 

Edited by berry1014

I got everything I wanted online except for the bowl chopper at Macy’s that I missed. I snagged the giant nutcracker at WM.com last night so hopefully, that ships and I’ll be good.

My local current events page comments indicated that lines were very short at Kohls & Menards this morning.

I've done most of my shopping online this year, so last night I did a purchase at midnight from Walmart... This morning I received a call from my daughter letting me know there were packages on my porch (last Sunday's Kohl's order)... The only store I have gone in and shopped is Target and that's because I work there... I will go into our local Christmas Tree Shop later today and see if I can stock up on some K-cups they have on sale...

Well I did most of my shopping online, but did go to the store for my Laptop. The lines were not bad this morning. I got to walmart about 4:20 and was number 13 in line. Ran to Target at about 5:40 and was number 6 in line. There was not many early shoppers, but by about 10:30 it was on and popping. That was my que to get ready to go home. I have been avoiding big crowds and was so glad I got most of the things I wanted early. I had to go out as some items was saying out of stock online but was available in my local stores this morning when I went. So I am glad I did go out. Went to the mall as well and was out by 9:15, went to Bath and Body works actual store as the mall was packed. It was not bad. I was able to go straight in but I forgot my coupons and was upset, so I bought my item and will go back out later today to do and return and rering up the items as the manager told me it would be okay. Went by Marshalls and Ross, Game Stop and back to Walmart as I forgot something and was home for lunch. Have several orders being delivered and I have curbside pick up for a few more. I was able to get about 85% of my shopping done so I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY AND TIRED. LOL

Edited by jesusluvu
  • Like 3

Our Black Friday started out phenomenal

The manager at Menards came out around 5:10 and announces he's going to let us in early as long as we keep our masks on and didn't rush.

It was so calm and relaxing

We were in and out before 6am.... the original open time !

The rest of our shopping was just as calm.

• Like 1

I did most of my shopping online since many stores started early sales (both online and in store), I knew many of the things I wanted would be sold out by the time I got there today.  So over the last few weeks, I was able to get nearly everything I wanted.  

A friend and I went out today and everything went great.  We went to a store called Martin's Family clothing first and they gave out a 50% off coupon off non-sale items.  I was able to get an Alabama sweatshirt for my sister's boyfriend for 12.50 using the coupon.  I also got one of my sons a Colubia shirt for 19.99 (normally 35.00 everyone else).  

Went to Kohls next and I got a Scrabble game for 10.00.  My friend got several things for her kids while there, but I had already bought most things I needed online. The checkout line was not bad at all.  It only took about 10-15 minutes to check out.

Then went to Target.  I bought the game Trouble and my friend was able to get 2 of the Our Generation dolls and 2 Our Generation outfits (they were B1G1 1/2 off).  We stood in line outside for about 10 minutes before they opened, but they were nowhere near capacity, so we were able to go in right as they opened.  My friend was able to check out immediately.

Next was Ulta.  I didn't buy anything here, but my friend got several items.

Then we went to Walmart.  I was able to get 2 pairs of jeans and socks for my husband and fleece leggings for myself.  It wasn't really that crowded, but of course we didn't get there until about 8:00-8:30.

We were home by about 10:00 (we shop in a town an hour from us).  

I came home and took a nap and then checked Amazon.  I was able to get my daughter a set of makeup brushes and a set of gel nail polish at a great price.

Well the extent of my Black Friday shopping was going to Walgreens for a 39¢ Russell Stover marshmallow Santa Claus, a gift pack of Planter’s peanuts for $5.99 and an Amazon gift card.  My bonus purchase was a Baby Yoda mini squishmallow.  

The rest of my shopping was about 90% online and here and there pick up of random items with all the early sales.  

Overall I spent more than I intended but then I always do.   :)

Edited by HanShotFirst
  • Like 1

Our Black Friday started out phenomenal

The manager at Menards came out around 5:10 and announces he's going to let us in early as long as we keep our masks on and didn't rush.

It was so calm and relaxing

We were in and out before 6am.... the original open time !

The rest of our shopping was just as calm.

We got to Menards about the same time, just after 5 am and we were let in right away. I loved it! No crowds at all...people are normally shoulder to shoulder in there on Black Friday and today was fabulous! We went in and pretty easily found what we wanted, browsed a little while and then headed straight to the registers where there was no waiting. Went to Walmart after that and, while there were more people there than Menards, it wasn't crowded at all. We did order stuff online from Walmart last night because we weren't sure if it would be available in the store but we did see that they had plenty of advertised merchandise. It was a great day with no rushing around and best of all, no crowds!

• Like 1

Went to Walmart today around noon to pick up one of their ads for my BF ad collection. Parking lot looked like any normal Friday late morning and inside was no different. Don't know how the morning was but at noon it was a relative ghost town.

Saw lines at Target and Walmart - but I did drive thru pick up so it wasn't a big deal, in and out pretty fast.

Everything else I ordered online.  Best scores - the Home Depot stained glass birds (over half off) and riding boots dd has been begging for $19 rather than 70+.  

The sales this year overall were pretty meh for me...  nothing that I "had to have"...  I did save money on some clothing items and sheets but nothing really amazing.

• Like 1

This was a horrible BF!  Deals were non existent, not even a $39 PS4 controller.  The one PS4 game my son wanted is not even being released until after Christmas.  The PS5 I ordered my husband was canceled.  I'm throwing up my arms and told my family, once covid is over we're taking a vacation to Hawaii.  I surrender this Christmas!  

• Like 3

I had not planned on shopping yesterday, but my daughter wanted to go to a thrift store.  So while out we hit a few stores.  Seemed like normal pre-Christmas levels of activity; I was expecting stores to be emptier since this was 6pm in the evening.  Best Buy still had a line outside the store and wrapping around the corner at this time of day, which surprised me.

I was disappointed at people's willingness/ability to social distance while in the check out line at Ross Dress for Less.  

This was a horrible BF!  Deals were non existent, not even a $39 PS4 controller.  The one PS4 game my son wanted is not even being released until after Christmas.  The PS5 I ordered my husband was canceled.  I'm throwing up my arms and told my family, once covid is over we're taking a vacation to Hawaii.  I surrender this Christmas!  

Maybe we'll see you there. We wanted to go again this year for our 30th wedding anniversary but Covid had other plans for us. Hopefully next year.

• Like 1

My sister and I needed up going to Walmart because the things she wanted had to be bought in store. There were probably about 50 people on the store. We got everything with wanted without any crowd. Then we went to Target. It’s was shopping on a Tuesday for both stores.

There really wasn’t anything to fight over this year! Lol

Edited by jewleyp

I'm also one of the few that have had a horrible BF experience.  I have horrible internet (my speed ranges between 1-3 and thats my only option for service)  so it is impossible to order anything. I got a couple things but I really wanted the kitchenaide mixer I tried to find it everywhere and it was constantly sold out.  I called best buy several times because they had it advertised in the preview sale and it was constantly sold out but the assured me that they would have a larger supply for the BF ad.  I never saw it come up on Thursday it was just constantly listed as sold out.  I called them again and did the chat and was told it wasn't really coming up on Thursday but Friday.. or anytime after midnight or anytime on friday..  i checked CONSTANTLY and all of them were listed as sold out.  I would love to know if anyone got one on thanksgiving day or friday.  Target had them and they were instantly sold out.  That was the only thing really wanted so BF was a huge bust.  I went to the stores to shop for a few other items but it was no fun..Half the items at walmart were only on sale on line I couldn't even get them at the same discount in the store.  It wasn't for me...  I miss waiting in line and know what i want is there and in stock if I want to wait on it.. lol.  I miss being out half the night or early in the morning.  Late night desserts or super early breakfasts at Dennys. 

I was disappointed at people's willingness/ability to social distance while in the check out line at Ross Dress for Less.  

I really wish people would explain why they are unwilling to do so - do they think someone is going to cut in front of them if they leave too much space? Explain your thought process when there is a pandemic going on - everyone is in the same line boat.

I saw footage of people in line to get inside a store without a mask and definitely not six feet apart, and I was like really, the sale isn't that great...

• Like 1

We made the decision to go out, but not to any stores where people would be on top of each other.  We figured that ruled out Walmart and Target.  Our first planned stop was Atwoods (regional store, I believe, kind of like Tractor Supply). The parking lot was PACKED, so we drove over to Academy.  Looked super busy.  So we decided to drive out to Walmart and see how bad it looked.  I swear there were fewer people there than a normal Friday morning (of course, it WAS 6:00 am, so maybe not).  We went to a few different places, then picked up an online order at Target. There were a lot of people there, but it was closer to 11:00 by that time. Luckily, we only had to go in as far as customer service.

I mostly stayed home and did what I could online. 

Week before Thanksgiving: Sheet set and a Mandalorian shirt from JCPenney, Ibotta Free Thanksgiving via Walmart, 2 Step ladders from Home Depot

Pre Thanksgiving: Irons, jewelry and ornaments from Macys; Mattress Topper, weighted blanket, sheet set, Chromecast and PS5 (pending ship/cancelation) from Walmart

Thanksgiving: Fleece Leggings at Walmart, MachineHead signed (hopefully) limited vinyl, Glorious Sons limited vinyl

Black Friday: Veggetti Pro at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Poinsettias at Lowes and failed trip to Best Buy for McCoy bluray

Saturday: Picked up some limited Vinyls on sale at Rise Records

Sunday: Ordered pendants and charms from Joanns to make gifts, stainless snake chains from Amazon, Friends/Nightmare Before Christmas and Mandalorian steals from Box Lunch early Cyber Monday sale and the Hulu subscription

Lots of Amazon bits and bobs in between. The JCPenney sheets are pretty disappointing so those are going back. I got the red ones for instore pickup since I  needed the Mandalorian shirt and thankfully I only have the one extra pillow because EVERYTHING is dyed.Kinda my fault for not washing but WOW. 

All in all I can't complain. I found the step ladders on my way out thinking I'd wasted the trip and scrounged 5 poinsettia's from Lowe's about 9am figuring I was close enough to look. I also reordered my mattress topper and weighted blanket Saturday for store pickup Sunday since original order wasn't available instore until 12/3 and shipping not til 12/28.

Edited by tinkrbel

I left my house Friday Morning at 8 am to head to Walmart for socks, Yes socks they would not allow me to buy these 5:00 socks on-line. Picked up something for the grandbaby and out the door, Next Menards to get an air mattress found some crate pads for the dogs and out the door. Next target to see if they had the kitchen aid mixer by chance. Found one not the one on sale that had been a return they were willing to give me 10% off but that model was way over my budget. For helping the associate I did score a raincheck for the model on sale. Then to pick up my splurge buys at pet smart. Then to Hobby Lobby for some impulse buying. No store was busy, no store had check out line night mares. Home by 10:45 AM