GottaDEAL 2021 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

Back to work today after a wonderful week and a half off.  New year, same ole grind :). Why couldn't I have been born rich? Nah, I'm thankful to still be employed and able to do my job safely from home. in my pajamas. and no make-up.  :D

Happy New Year everybody!

• Like 2

A little late, but happy new year to all.

I hope each day that goes by makes things a little brighter for everyone.

And Brad - I'm in serious need of some new additions to my rubber jar opener helper thingies collection.  Just saying if you're looking for future bling ideas.... lol

• Like 3

Well fudge...

So, a brief explanation.

My chronic myeloid leukemia was in "remission," due to the high dose of my walking chemotherapy. I put remission in quotation marks, because as a chronic condition it never goes away. But it was at a level where it was no longer detected without doing a bone marrow aspiration (never again, please G-d).

About a year ago, my hematologist told me of a study where CML patients were taken off of their chemotherapy completely. About 50% of the patients remained in "remission," and were able to remain off of the chemo. She and I decided we would like to give this a try, especially as the walking chemo puts me in the immunocompromised group, and effects what type of work I can accept as a classified substitute.

The study was done on patients three years in remission and longer. I was six months away from that point, and eagerly awaited my three year anniversary.

When that point came, my hematologist told me that she had consulted on my case with Dr. Brian Drucker, the inventor of the walking chemotherapy I take. His advice was to wait until I was at least five years in "remission," but he didn't see any harm in reducing my dosage, and seeing how my body responded to that. So, we cut my dose in half.

My hematologist wanted to closely monitor me at first, so instead of having my blood work done in three months, as was my norm, the first test was done after a month. That came back negative, and we decided to go back to testing in three months.

I just got the first three month tests results back. I meet with my hematologist this Thursday, my 61st birthday. I'm pretty sure these results are saying I am not in the fortunate 50%.

*sigh*

Screenshot-2021-01-15-15-31-00.png

Screenshot-2021-01-15-15-31-15.png

Screenshot-2021-01-15-15-31-25.png

Screenshot-2021-01-15-15-31-41.png

Hi Gator Pam.

I have no idea how to read that blood work either. All I can suggest is to wait and see what your medical team says. Some times what looks bad is actually "expected" and your medical team will watch it but not be overly concerned. (For example, someone receiving treatment for TB will see their liver levels shoot up). Hopefully this will be the case for you, that they expected some of your blood work to change as you cut back on on your treatment.

I will say the Mi Shebeirach for you tonight. :)

• Like 1

Hey All! I've been working out since Dec. 29th. I started out doing 30 minutes on my exercise bike and 10 sit-ups every day. I've worked up to 34 minutes on the bike and 10 sit-ups & 10 crunches before and after each bike ride. That's a big deal for me because I'm super lazy and have no ambition. Lol. I video chat with my aunt every day and she works out with me. She lives alone and her treadmill & bike are in the basement, so she was afraid if she got hurt, no one would know. So we do it together! Monday I move up to 36 minutes!
  • Like 10

Thanks. HomeinKS!

I do suspect we'll decide to raise the dose of my walking chemo back to where it was, and that my body will then return to "remission." Perhaps we could then go for the five years suggested, and taper the dose off by quarters, rather than in half to start.

We'll see what she says on Thursday.

• Like 1