GottaDEAL 2021 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

hello June!  you guys all have  weeks till graduation? we have 9 more DAYS .. and i am counting down. i don't have any children graduating , but for the last several years i host the project grad all night drug /ALCOHOL  FREE  party. USUALLY we fund raise  all year long .... this year due to covid cautions ... i JUST booked a local amusement park for the event . its more  pricey then normal. but the kids will be happy about it . that said planning is a LOT easier . as i don't need 70+ volunteers ,just myself and 5 others , as the park includes their staff.  I wont spend 3 days decorating , or money on the decorations. and wont spend a couple hours doing clean up till 7 am.  but a rush right now to get the kids signed up.. AFTER COMMITTING TO THE PARK ,i found a place other schools have used , that is less then 1/2 the price per student . i will certainly be looking into it next year!!!  i welcome July already!

• Like 3

Before I say anything, I have to give my spiel about I am not a medical professional and anything I say should not be taken as medical advice. I am glad that you are going to discuss this with you doctor, please follow their advice as they know your case.

Having said that....take a deep breath and relax. Almost all of us, especially in a northern climate, are all low on vitamin D. You can take a supplement, but you must be careful and do it under a doctor's care because too much vitamin D can cause nasty problems like kidney stones. (And I have seen people come into the ER with vitamin D kidney stones and they were under a doctor's care....so be careful, everyone's body is different. Doctors can be taken off guard about what dose you need.)

The best way to get vitamin D is sunshine. Go out and take a walk or work in the garden or just sit in a sunny spot. 10 - 15 minutes a day a couple of times a week will do the trick. Some foods like salmon and tuna are also good sources of vitamin D.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. I didn't know there could be major problems like that with taking too much. I'm glad you told me so I don't just start taking supplements on my own and get too much. I do have a call in to my doctor, just waiting to hear back.

Another month in the books, and I guess that book would be getting pretty large if you put a whole month in a book since the beginning of time.

Nothing really has changed, though I just bought a steam mop, so it will be fun to mess around and clean stuff up for a few weeks.

Hello June! I’m also heading to Florida this month to finally visit Kennedy Space Center! I’ve always loved the exploration and discovery of space and everything in it, so it’s gonna be awesome to see some of the work behind that. We will also be hitting Universal Orlando so hopefully we can take a ride on the soon-to-be-open Velocicoaster!
  • Like 1

Going to Florida for vacation.  Stops include Pensacola, Orlando, Key West, Ft. Lauderdale.  Anything we shouldn't miss?  Already scheduled Disney.  My daughter wants to eat shark.  Restaurant suggestions?

Are you driving from Pensacola to head south? If you're going to take I-75 south, you'll be passing through Gator Town (Gainesville), my old stomping grounds.

I left nearly a decade ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed. But, if you enjoy nature walks, check out The Devil's Millhopper. It's a large sinkhole with a wooden trail built descending in to it. You can see several variations in plant life epochs as you descend.

If you stay for a meal, try to head over to Satchel's Pizza. Not only is the pizza good, but the property and atmosphere is a true experience.

I grew up just south of Fort Lauderdale in Hollywood, FL. But, I moved away from there in '97. Other than the obvious tourist traps, and I actually don't know if any of those are still open, I wouldn't feel currently informed to advise you on what to do down there nowadays.

Checking in for June. Closed out May with the return of the semi-annual trek to Charlotte for the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600. This year looked a bit different, as the All-Star Race has been relocated to Texas Motor Speedway (and actually coming up next weekend), so the first half of the road trip was grabbing SC bestie and driving to FL to meet up with our third musketeer. We spent a few days in FL, as FL bestie will be moving back to IN soon. Treated it as a bit of a “last hurrah”, going to Disney Springs one day and Ron Jon’s/Cocoa Beach the next. Good times. Trekked to Charlotte on Wednesday last week, then stayed there for the races (of course). Caught up with a few friends while we were there. Ate at our favorite places. Tried our fave pizza place’s take on “Detroit style” pizza. Well. Done. [emoji39][emoji487] They asked for our honest thoughts on it before we headed out and we told them they did a really good job with it.

Gators in FL:

post-90150-16229478926_thumb.jpg

Me as I got into FL:

post-90150-162294798411_thumb.jpg

SC bestie and our good friend, Tim Fedewa, currently spotter for Kevin Harvick in NASCAR Cup Series:

post-90150-162294802641_thumb.jpg

Our view of the track:

post-90150-162294811476_thumb.jpg

A Luna moth that graced us with its presence:

post-90150-162294814162_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

R9035732bef3f8dcb8603c2259e25663d?rik=%2

Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.

Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.

They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.

They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest – until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men’s souls will be shaken with the violences of war.

For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and goodwill among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home.

Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.

And for us at home – fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas, whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them – help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice.

Many people have urged that I call the nation into a single day of special prayer. But because the road is long and the desire is great, I ask that our people devote themselves in a continuance of prayer. As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts.

Give us strength, too – strength in our daily tasks, to redouble the contributions we make in the physical and the material support of our armed forces.

And let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be.

And, O Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee; faith in our sons; faith in each other; faith in our united crusade. Let not the keeness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment – let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose.

With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogances. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace – a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil.

Thy will be done, Almighty God.

Amen.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt – June 6, 1944
  • Like 5

Going to Florida for vacation.  Stops include Pensacola, Orlando, Key West, Ft. Lauderdale.  Anything we shouldn't miss?  Already scheduled Disney.  My daughter wants to eat shark.  Restaurant suggestions?

Florida must be the vacation spot this year. We're making plans to head there at the end of this month. The beach truly is my happy place!

• Like 1

Speaking of Florida/fun in the sun, can anyone recommend a good sunscreen? Is the highest SPF the best? I’m having a hard time choosing something with so many options out there. I also have rosacea, so I could use ideas on what might be a good face sunscreen to use that won’t further irritate my skin. I generally avoid outside during the summer, but will need something for sure for a few days down south. If I need to get two different kinds for face and body, that’s ok too. Thanks in advance for any recommendations! :)

• Like 1

Speaking of Florida/fun in the sun, can anyone recommend a good sunscreen? 

Not me, but check this out...

Valisure also reported that 14 sun care product lots with some of the highest contaminations are sold across four different popular brands — Neutrogena, Sun Bum, CVS Health and Fruit of the Earth. Not all of the aforementioned brands' products were found to contain benzene, and lists of products found to contain and not to contain benzene are included further down the page in Valisure's petition form.

For example, Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Weightless Sunscreen Spray, SPF 100+ and Ultra Sheer Weightless Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70 were among 14 products Valisure claims have some of the highest levels of benzene tested. But products like Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 and Oil-free Facial Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 15 were not found to contain the carcinogen.

All of the samples tested have "contained up to three times the conditionally restricted FDA concentration limit of 2 parts per million" of benzene, according to Valisure's website.

Happy June everyone!  June is always full of church camps for our youth at church.  Some of the teens (including our daughter) went to a week long camp last week.  She is at home this week, but has full week camps next week and the week after.  This is definitely one of her favorite times of the year.  She has already made several new friends.

So glad to hear that some of the main retail chains are going to be closed Thanksgiving Day.  I really hope that they go back to the classic days of Black Friday.  

• Like 2

OMG y'all. With Prime Days coming up, and all these big retailers announcing Thanksgiving Day closings, I am getting SO ready for the season.  I know a lot of the country is in a heatwave, and today is our hottest day so far this year, but I have been listening to Christmas music all day :). :guitarist  :holiday16

• Like 4