GottaDEAL 2021 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

Happy April everyone.  I'm excited and done a little rearranging and spring cleaning and for the first time in a while feeling optimistic that things are starting to look better and I might make more trips out.  Hope to hit a couple antique malls later this year and maybe a few garage sales.  Not that I need more stuff, but just to enjoy some nice weather.

Happy April!

We just got back from a little spring break trip to the Alabama gulf coast. The beaches were beautiful and the boys and my mom had a great time. The drives there and back were horrid, and it’s not a trip I want to make again. Brake failure on the interstate on the way down after I just got new brakes last week - mechanic put the brake cable against the wheel and it rubbed a hole in the cable, resulting in all brake fluid leaking out. Of course, I don’t use my brakes on the interstate unless I REALLY need them and it was a near catastrophe when I tried them and the pedal went to the floor. We survived and I will be presenting that bill to the mechanic to reimburse me next week. Terrible traffic on the way back, and my mama kept asking me to stop so she could shop. What should have been a 12 hour trip turned into two full days.

The next time I want to go to a beach, I will get there via airplane!

Happy spring!

• Like 4

Question for y'all...
I'm planning on making some posts of foods I prepared over the last week for Passover.  I had started a couple of Passover threads in the Lounge before this more general topic thread was started, but they don't seem to get very many views.  I could post in the What's for Dinner thread, but I plan on posting various foods, not just dinner.

Since this is a general topic thread, would it  be all right to post them here?  I'll warn y'all, there will probably be a good 20 individual posts, and some of them will be long...

What say y'all?

• Like 1

Question for y'all...

I'm planning on making some posts of foods I prepared over the last week for Passover. I had started a couple of Passover threads in the Lounge before this more general topic thread was started, but they don't seem to get very many views. I could post in the What's for Dinner thread, but I plan on posting various foods, not just dinner.

Since this is a general topic thread, would it be all right to post them here? I'll warn y'all, there will probably be a good 20 individual posts, and some of them will be long...

What say y'all?

You could always put them in a thread and the link it here to get attention. I wouldn’t be interested in a huge chunk of recipes in this thread.

You could always put them in a thread and the link it here to get attention. I wouldn’t be interested in a huge chunk of recipes in this thread.

Taking speeddiva's advice, I have put my multiple Passover, and couple of Easter cooking posts in The Lounge. The Passover posts for 2021 start here. Just keep on scrolling until the current end of the thread.

The current last post in the Passover thread is my first post this year in the Easter thread, since it is what I made for Easter brunch. I then posted our Easter dinner in the next post.

Formatting all of those photos so they aren't actually links back to imgbb was a PITA, but hopefully enough GDers will appreciate seeing how we celebrated last week.

Please let me know what you think.

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 4

Not being Jewish (I am a Lutheran pastor) I don't know that it is appropriate to say anything with any authority to your situation....but I am (as all preacher's are) willing to give my two cents/shekals worth. [emoji4]

I totally agree, it is a honor to be asked to speak. When I lived in Ohio I frequently attended Friday night services with my Torah study partner and his wife. Occasionally they would ask me to speak (spontaneously of course) on the sedrah and I always considered it a honor to do so.

There are two sides to the preaching task, one is the scholarly side where you open the text to learn/hear it's formal lesson(s). This is where the history, language, social, cultural etc. studies come into play. This usually falls on your preacher/rabbi to give. But then come the "contextualizing"...the gleaning of what the text is saying to us today.

This is one of the places where Judaism shines...in the invitation to have the believers in the pews speak. (In almost all Christian denominations, the idea of a dialogue sermon brings terror to most preachers who are loathe to share control of their pulpit.) But in the synagogue (or in the home) the worshiping community is there to learn from each other and are eager to have new insight on how to apply the text. (And they will point out anything that they feel may be heading into false teaching...to keep one another honest. In Christian communities, this type of dialogue learning is relegated to Bible study groups.)

Sorry, once a preacher, always a teacher![emoji3]

My short answer opinion (from a hospital chaplain) is: yes! By all means speak to the freedom that you feel from cancer, and to the deliverance, the healing and the hope that it brings. If there is one experience that speaks to all humans - it is the experience of suffering and dis-ease. I am very sure that your modern experience/understanding of the Passover story will speak to those you break matzah with.[emoji4]

Sorry time has been flying by for me this past month. I am glad my phone picks up where I left off. So I could see your post.

But yes I would say speak! Speak from your heart. I believe what you have to say will touch many others.

I can't believe it - the upright freezer we ordered on October 16th, 2020 that was supposed to be delivered right around Thanksgiving of 2020 is being delivered TODAY! What I really loved is that they ran the charge for the freezer and the extended warranty the DAY they received the order! So, we have been without $1,300.00 and a freezer since Oct. of last year! :gdcensored:

Who did you order from? I know my response is delayed. Things have been busy for me. But I certainly hope you’ve got ahold of them and got at least the warranty extended since you haven’t even had it done 6 months.

attachicon.gifAdjustments.JPG

Ugh!!! Not! Funny! Bad form, Mother Nature... [emoji35] lol

On a lighter note, 13 shopping days till my bday (not counting the actual day).

My poor Hodges kitty, who had a run in with some nasty bladder crystals in mid Feb and gave this kitty mama quite the scare is now, thankfully, well on his way back to normal. Had his follow up appointment with his vet last week and she is very pleased with his progress. Gave me permission to begin transitioning him off the prescription diet after we’ve had a full 2 months with it, which will actually occur right around my bday. Good stuff. Will be so glad to start reducing the cat food budget again, assuming we can keep his system happy. $200+/month is rough.

Hope all of you in my GD family are well as we turn the corner toward spring! [emoji4][emoji170]

Here’s the boy trying my pants on this morning... [emoji23]

attachicon.gifIMG_5865.JPG

Happy belated Birthday!!

• Like 2

Who did you order from? I know my response is delayed. Things have been busy for me. But I certainly hope you’ve got ahold of them and got at least the warranty extended since you haven’t even had it done 6 months.

Home Depot. Yes, I talked (and yelled a little) several times to them during the LONG waiting period. They say that even though they charged us right away that the extended warranty went into effect on the day it was delivered.  Hopefully we will never need to use it! :crossfing

• Like 1