GottaDEAL 2021 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

Hello everyone... Happy February. So, yesterday I was carrying something and it accidentally knocked over the little (43”) tv (and broke of course). Sure wishing it was BF instead of Feb. now do I want the new one with roku or fire ? GD likes Disney and Netflix.
  • Like 1

Hello everyone... Happy February. So, yesterday I was carrying something and it accidentally knocked over the little (43”) tv (and broke of course). Sure wishing it was BF instead of Feb. now do I want the new one with roku or fire ? GD likes Disney and Netflix.

I've actually read (I think, ON GottaDeal) that this week is better for TV sales than Black Friday because of the Super Bowl!  So, you may have broken your TV at the exact perfect time. Good luck! :)

• Like 4

Happy February!

We are still playing hockey out of state, but at least our state allows us to practice now, so I don't have to drive 2 hours (each way) for that.  A couple more big tournaments and this weird, crazy season will come to an end. 

Waiting for a call to schedule my 2nd vaccine and then hopefully I can start going back to the office a day or 3 a week.  I've enjoyed working from home some, but I really miss my coworkers and employees. (and I'm REALLY fed up with audio lag on Webex LOL)

Happy February. This is the month when we get some of our heaviest snowfall, if we get any at all. It’s been 5 years since the last measurable snow in my part of the state. Five long years since Ive been able to make snow ice cream. :(

It snowed pretty good here last night so we put a bowl outside to get some snow and I made snow cream for us. :)
  • Like 1

Happy February, y’all! Been “a minute” since I’ve stopped by to check in on my GDer fam. Just spent the last several minutes catching up in here on how folks are doing.

Me? I’m the “official toe bean warmer” for my little Mew, who celebrated her 13th bday on 1/14.

post-90150-161255130788_thumb.jpg

Dad celebrated 79 trips around the sun on the 15th. I snuck up and visited him briefly at the gas station where he works (just to keep himself busy/active) to wish him a very happy bday. We’ll do a belated bday dinner together this coming Monday evening. We’re both looking forward to spending some time together.

One of my best friends celebrates his birthday on Valentine’s Day, so I’m gathering up some fun things for him & I’ll be baking his favorite lemon cookies while I watch the Clash race at Daytona Tuesday night (so I can ship his box Wednesday). He had long been planning to be at the Daytona 500 this year since it fell on his bday but, thanks to the ongoing COVID junk, he had to scrap those plans. He had tix bought but did not make the cut for the limited capacity. Boo.

My annual “start” of my NASCAR season at the Vegas spring race has been scrapped due to NV govt still not having made the call on whether LVMS can have fans there. It’s getting too late (we are only a month away) to be making all the arrangements so, while I will likely make the cut for limited attendance if it’s permitted (I’ve been season tix holder there for 15 years), I will be requesting a credit be put toward either this year’s fall race or next spring’s event. Will feel SOOOO strange being home for that race.

Hope all of you are well (or at least hanging in there), my friends. [emoji120]

(Oh and Kanyon: To answer your question about my NYE beverage of choice, no, I don’t drink. Personal choice. Caffeine is my drug of choice! [emoji38][emoji106])

• Like 5

Happy February, y’all! Been “a minute” since I’ve stopped by to check in on my GDer fam. Just spent the last several minutes catching up in here on how folks are doing.

Me? I’m the “official toe bean warmer” for my little Mew, who celebrated her 13th bday on 1/14.

attachicon.gifIMG_4579.JPG

Dad celebrated 79 trips around the sun on the 15th. I snuck up and visited him briefly at the gas station where he works (just to keep himself busy/active) to wish him a very happy bday. We’ll do a belated bday dinner together this coming Monday evening. We’re both looking forward to spending some time together.

One of my best friends celebrates his birthday on Valentine’s Day, so I’m gathering up some fun things for him & I’ll be baking his favorite lemon cookies while I watch the Clash race at Daytona Tuesday night (so I can ship his box Wednesday). He had long been planning to be at the Daytona 500 this year since it fell on his bday but, thanks to the ongoing COVID junk, he had to scrap those plans. He had tix bought but did not make the cut for the limited capacity. Boo.

My annual “start” of my NASCAR season at the Vegas spring race has been scrapped due to NV govt still not having made the call on whether LVMS can have fans there. It’s getting too late (we are only a month away) to be making all the arrangements so, while I will likely make the cut for limited attendance if it’s permitted (I’ve been season tix holder there for 15 years), I will be requesting a credit be put toward either this year’s fall race or next spring’s event. Will feel SOOOO strange being home for that race.

Hope all of you are well (or at least hanging in there), my friends. [emoji120]

(Oh and Kanyon: To answer your question about my NYE beverage of choice, no, I don’t drink. Personal choice. Caffeine is my drug of choice! [emoji38][emoji106])

Nothing wrong with that. I rarely do and when I do it’s even more rarely much lol. I’ve been cutting back on caffeine also.
  • Like 1

*cross posted*

Friday was a day I spent doing a couple of low carb experiments. First, I took a keto recipe for pizza crust which supposedly requires prebaking before topping and returning to the oven, and using it in place of a standard dough to make a star shaped pizza. Similar in construction to a star babka, it's more a stromboli, in my opinion. But I decided to give it a try.

2021-02-05-17-50-29.jpg

This is post assembly and second rise. As you can see, the star is assembled without prebaking the crust.

2021-02-05-19-09-42.jpg

I used 1× recipe for the keto pizza crust. The regular dough produces twice as much volume, I believe. This is on a 10" dinner plate, so it's not huge. But, it was a late lunch for three, and was plenty.

The construction calls for three filled layers and a top sealing layer. Only the top filled layer is sauced. I'm going to change that in the future, as well as serve some additional sauce on the side for dipping.

The next experiment was trying to make a keto challah. I've made this coconut flour flaxseed brioche before, and find the taste and finished crumb really reminds me of a good egg challah. But the dough is far too soft to braid.

I consulted with the recipe creator, and we decided I would try using the small silicone challah mold offered on amazon, as it's listed dimensions are similar to the size loaf pan recommended being used in the recipe. Unfortunately, I think those dimensions include the rim, as the mold itself was far too small for the entire recipe. So, I split the dough in half, covering the second half with plastic wrap and setting aside while I rose and baked the first half of the dough.

Half the recipe was a bit shy to properly fill the mold, so it didn't rise as much as I hoped.

2021-02-05-17-32-41.jpg

However, they did take on the shape nicely!

The second loaf had already risen while the first one rose in the pan and was baked. So, I'm pretty sure it over proofed. Maybe I should have put it in the refrigerator while working on the first one.

2021-02-06-11-57-48.jpg

We went ahead and cut in to both loaves, to see if the less rise affected taste or texture. Other than appearance, we didn't notice much difference.

2021-02-06-11-59-15.jpg

Erev Shabbes dinner Friday was Showtime rotisserie chicken, creamed spinach, and a couple of slices of "challah."

Overall, I would say they were fairly acceptable experiments.

• Like 3