Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

When do you plan to start decorating for the holidays this year?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,059 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 8:05 am

Seems like a lot of people are going to decorate earlier than usual this year due to *gestures broadly* ...everything.

What about you GDers? Anyone actually start already? Waiting until after Thanksgiving?

#2 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 3,027 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 8:40 am

Cause 2020 is what I've been saying. Maybe they think they will get the rona from their Decorations. I wonder if Santa will have a mask on when he visits?

#3 tracy0504  OFFLINE  

tracy0504

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 8:42 am

I honestly don't know when I'll start this year... I'm in the mood now, but will probably wait until at least the end of October beginning of November...at least...

#4 Elmck  OFFLINE  

Elmck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 9:56 am

I won’t decorate until after Thanksgiving but that’s normal for us.

#5 magickallight  OFFLINE  

magickallight

• 59,733 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 10:39 am

Was wanting to decorate for fall this past weekend - BUT the hurricane warnings say NO! So - if we still have a standing house - maybe next weekend. For Christmas - probably on Black Friday - as I WILL NOT be leaving the house.

“The more I know about people, the more I love my dog.” ~ Mark Twain.

#6 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,059 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 11:16 am

I usually put up some fall stuff right after Labor Day (did last week) and then Christmas right after Halloween. Nearly 2 months for each “season”.

If there’s no “real” BF ads to worry about this year and I’m not as busy next month I might put up the Christmas lights earlier while the weather isn’t too bad.

#7 speeddiva  OFFLINE  

speeddiva

This Space for Rent

• 2,463 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 11:50 am

Technically, tomorrow We have a 99 day countdown clock that we put in the window.

#8 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• 1,657 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 12:40 pm

I figure I'll stick to my usual.  I'll probably do the bathroom right before Thanksgiving, and everything else Thanksgiving weekend.  I didn't put up my traditional tree last year, so I'm looking forward to having it back this year (was going to get a new one from Home Depot, but now I'm wondering if they'll do their annual great Christmas tree deal, lol). I need to find a cute, affordable, gate to go around the tree though.  My cat is old, and she has decided to forego the litter box about half the time (gross, I know).  I hate to keep her out from under the tree when she's always loved getting under there, but I don't want to have to crawl under the tree to shampoo the carpet every day either.

#9 Suzy Crampton  OFFLINE  

Suzy Crampton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 2:28 pm

I went to Hobby Lobby last week and it took everything I had to not race home and start decorating the house for Christmas  :holiday09

Edited by Suzy Crampton, Sep 15, 2020 - 2:29 pm.

Suzy Chapstick:)

#10 tyreejames  OFFLINE  

tyreejames

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 6:45 pm

I will be doing fall decorations this weekend. I will more than likely hold off on Christmas until Black Friday or possibly the day before Thanksgiving. I have decided that I will only put up one tree this year.

Last year was my first holiday season after losing my sister. I forced myself through the motions in hopes of feeling better. It did not help and just left me feeling more drained. So this year I will only put up the living room tree and the outside decorations.

#11 ilikefree  OFFLINE  

ilikefree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 16, 2020 - 3:25 pm

I haven't been decorating as much these past several years but will probably wait till after Thanksgiving just like every other year.

#12 Reinholt1  ONLINE  

Reinholt1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 19, 2020 - 4:04 pm

Cause 2020 is what I've been saying. Maybe they think they will get the rona from their Decorations. I wonder if Santa will have a mask on when he visits?

LOL Santa better be wearing a mask! He's in a high risk group, he's a senior and he is over weight, and he is male. I don't want to see Santa in my ER .... unless of course he is there just to drop
off PPE or toilet paper!

#13 colemandawn4905  OFFLINE  

colemandawn4905

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 Posts
  • Member since 2015

Posted Sep 20, 2020 - 6:31 pm

I’ll decorate November 1st or around there. I do fall from sept 1-November 1. Lol my family thinks it’s crazy they come for thanksgiving and I have My Christmas stuff up. Lol I started this once the kids got older n didn’t believe bacUse they were in so many sports amd it would stress me trying to get everything done. Now I can take my time.

*** Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow***

#14 mjbateman  OFFLINE  

mjbateman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 21, 2020 - 5:52 am

I will start the day after Thanksgiving. I decorate for Thanksgiving.

#15 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,996 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 21, 2020 - 6:11 am

Since I am still home maybe early....I already started putting out my fall stuff around the house. Will decorate the porch this weekend. 

#16 berry1014  OFFLINE  

berry1014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 21, 2020 - 8:42 am

We will be decorating like normal this year:

Fall/Halloween this weekend

Nov 1st/2nd the Halloween deocration come down and the Thanksgiving Decorations go up.

BF/Thanksgiving weekend aall the fall/thanksgiving decorations get packed up and we decorate for Christmas.

I will start watching Christmas Movies and listening to Christmas Music starting Nov 1st. 

#17 Turtle Mommy  OFFLINE  

Turtle Mommy

Bargain Shopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 21, 2020 - 2:16 pm

I normally don’t start decorating until Black Friday. I will probably do it before that this year.

#18 Doresia  OFFLINE  

Doresia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Sep 23, 2020 - 9:30 am

I bought some stuff at Dollar Tree to start some Christmas crafts.  My daughter walked in while I was un-bagging it and walked backwards like she was scared saying "what are you doing?! It's September.  Halloween first!"   :gdpoint: So I'll probably decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving weekend just like every other year.  

#19 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• 1,244 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Sep 23, 2020 - 10:24 am

Ugh.  I’m not feeling the decorating yet this year at all.  I usually have my entire house “falled up” in early September but as of now I have only a small Halloween section at the front door and no desire to drag out the fall stuff.  2020 has drained me physically (because healthcare worker) and emotionally (because the current state of the world) so not sure what I will do for Christmas decorating yet.  I did loved seeing the Christmas trees out at Walmart the other day so hoping as they get more and more stuff out I’ll get in the mood.  I guess I should go to Hobby Lobby again to get in the spirit.  :) 

#20 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,996 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 24, 2020 - 5:29 am

So, looked out my window this morning and some of my neighbors have fully decorated outside. I know I did not leave the house yesterday but dang....

#21 Suzy Crampton  OFFLINE  

Suzy Crampton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 27, 2020 - 4:58 pm

Was at Menards this weekend and saw all their Christmas stuff was out. I did good and stayed away from it, but now I want to decorate for Christmas so badly. I've been listening to Christmas music off and on for a week or so now and I am ready to jump into the season. Hubby does not feel the same way  :no:

Suzy Chapstick:)

#22 bluebear  ONLINE  

bluebear

• 2,011 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 27, 2020 - 5:46 pm

I'll decorate for fall during this week or this coming weekend. Then Halloween a couple weeks later.
I always start Christmas decorating the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving, and I expect to do the same this year.

#23 lucyismycat  OFFLINE  

lucyismycat

Hockey Mama

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 28, 2020 - 4:58 pm

We have decided as a family to have a smaller Thanksgiving family get-together this year (not ALL of the extended family), and my mother has decided she would like to host this dinner at her house.  This means I can start decorating for Christmas ANY TIME I WANT!   Probably shortly after Halloween, Christmas will start popping up. Fall stuff going up this weekend! 

#24 colemandawn4905  OFFLINE  

colemandawn4905

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 Posts
  • Member since 2015

Posted Sep 28, 2020 - 9:41 pm

I was watching a TikTok where a woman wanted to decorate for Halloween n her hubby said it was to early so she decided to put 1 small Christmas decoration out every day to see how long it took him to notice. It was so funny. Took him 7 days. He told her fine decorate for Halloween lol so she put the Christmas back and put the Halloween out.

*** Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow***

#25 ytmomof4  OFFLINE  

ytmomof4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 1, 2020 - 3:03 am

I have had a few things out all year but, I will officially begin decorating November 1st

#26 Illinoismom  OFFLINE  

Illinoismom

sometimes you have to let go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,800 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 4, 2020 - 8:03 pm

I have had several health issues, then both my children had life changing issues so my Christmas living room was never taken down. I look at it as one less room I need to decorate well as soon as the extra furniture from my kids is removed 

#27 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,996 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 5, 2020 - 5:16 am

Fall decorations were completed this weekend but I think I will put out the Christmas decorations early. I feel we all need some extra holiday cheer this year. 

#28 mcwalker  OFFLINE  

mcwalker

City Planner & Bargain Shopper!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 6, 2020 - 5:42 am

We don't start decorating until after Thanksgiving, as I like to keep the holidays separate.  This year my wife and daughter want to visit family in Kentucky for an extended time in December, in part due to my daughter's changed college schedule and just to get out of the city, but I will probably stay home longer and join them just before Christmas.  So we will probably do little or no decoration at home (no tree) this year.

So here is my decoration for this year:   :holiday07   :holiday03  :holiday05  :holiday07  

#29 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,996 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 7, 2020 - 5:00 am

We don't start decorating until after Thanksgiving, as I like to keep the holidays separate.  This year my wife and daughter want to visit family in Kentucky for an extended time in December, in part due to my daughter's changed college schedule and just to get out of the city, but I will probably stay home longer and join them just before Christmas.  So we will probably do little or no decoration at home (no tree) this year.

So here is my decoration for this year:   :holiday07   :holiday03  :holiday05  :holiday07  

Well you beat all of us this year in decorating for Christmas. LOL 

#30 msyves  OFFLINE  

msyves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Oct 13, 2020 - 5:14 am

Typically I start decorating on Thanksgiving day right after dinner. However, this year we're having work done in the house and we have stuff all over the great room. Hopefully the work will be done before then and I can get back to making my home Christmassy.

Edited by msyves, Oct 13, 2020 - 8:00 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users