Home Depot cancels Black Friday (as a one day event)

Brad

https://corporate.homedepot.com/newsroom/home-depot-holiday-announcement-2020

For the first time ever, our Black Friday prices will be available throughout the holiday season. Savings will start in early November and last through December, both in-store and on homedepot.com. Say goodbye to one day of frenzied shopping and enjoy Black Friday savings all season long without the stress and crowds.

CNN story: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/business/home-depot-black-friday/index.html

I can't see any of the major stores doing a one-day-only Black Friday sale. I think the optics would be terrible, as if they are saying "sorry, but the only way to get the best deals is to fight massive crowds on this one day".

I think what Home Depot is doing is smart because they are telling their customers not to hold off on buying stuff because they are waiting for a big one-day BF sale. If people know there is no big blowout BF sale coming, they'll be more likely to spend during these earlier October/November sales.

• Like 3

I think they can do a one day sale it would just need to be online.

They can do that, but why get people to visit your site on one day when you can get them to visit multiple times over many weeks/months?

I'd have a bigger long-term sale online and then maybe a handful of one-day-only online doorbusters each day of the sale.

• Like 1

I wonder about their Christmas Tree Doorbuster. This is by far the best tree deal of the year. Online? Limited time deal in store.....

Yes!!!! I love the tree I purchased a few years ago and would love to get another one for my foyer if possible this year. My second one is just to big, but a skinny, frothed tree.....oh my I cant stop smiling just thinking about it 

I've been wondering about the Christmas tree doorbuster too. My tree has been looking ragged for the past few years and every year we say it's time to throw it out and replace it. I almost chucked it last year, but something told me to hold on one more season. I'm glad I did!

I wonder about their Christmas Tree Doorbuster. This is by far the best tree deal of the year. Online? Limited time deal in store.....

I was wondering about this too.  The dog chewed up the bottom strand of lights on my tree a couple years ago, so I was thinking of getting a new one this year.

I can't see any of the major stores doing a one-day-only Black Friday sale. I think the optics would be terrible, as if they are saying "sorry, but the only way to get the best deals is to fight massive crowds on this one day".

To be fair, it's been a LONG time since anyone has had a one-day-Black-Friday-sale.  And there is Cyber Monday.  Recently, November has been Black Friday Months with door busters and not-so-secret sales each weekend.

If Amazon has Prime Days in October, that will mark the beginning of Black Friday -- unless Walmart has a preemptive sale.

• Like 1

To be fair, it's been a LONG time since anyone has had a one-day-Black-Friday-sale.  And there is Cyber Monday.  Recently, November has been Black Friday Months with door busters and not-so-secret sales each weekend.

If Amazon has Prime Days in October, that will mark the beginning of Black Friday -- unless Walmart has a preemptive sale.

I think Walmart+ will hit at the exact same time. This might be a true price war and we could reap the benefits...one could wish for such an act, but even though there rivals both are not going to give stuff away. 

Sounds like a big nothing burger to chew on. Home depot has never been a black Friday leader anyway.

https://corporate.homedepot.com/newsroom/home-depot-holiday-announcement-2020

For the first time ever, our Black Friday prices will be available throughout the holiday season. Savings will start in early November and last through December, both in-store and on homedepot.com. Say goodbye to one day of frenzied shopping and enjoy Black Friday savings all season long without the stress and crowds.

CNN story: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/business/home-depot-black-friday/index.html

Sounds like a big nothing burger to chew on. Home depot has never been a black Friday leader anyway.

Spend some $ in there last year.  I needed all their doorbusters.  About ten years ago I bought a generator and a switch at Home Depot on BF.  About ten years after we bought our house, we had a winter storm that left us powerless for ten seven days.  The next time we lost power, my street was buzzing from all the generators running.  I mocked my neighbors, "If we lose power for a week every ten years, I can deal with that."  Well, we did and I couldn't.  The following BF I cut through Home Depot on my way to Walmart to get out of the rain.  They had generators piled to the rafters.  Transfer switches too.  Both steeply discounted for BF.  I started talking to one of the employees about the generator.  As I was preparing to head out, I said, "I'd buy both of these if you used this Lowes coupon to drop the price 10%."  He did and I have been using that generator for a decade.  6000 watts for about $70 per year.  I power my well (2), my boiler, the kitchen, my bedroom, and this circuit that feeds lights on every floor of my house.  When we lose power, we are warm, drink cold beer, take hot showers, eat hot meals, watch television, and sleep is a warm waterbed (all of us).

That is why I stop in to Home Depot every Black Friday.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

Hoping Home Depot continues their online workshops for another month or longer. If you do one, you get a 15% coupon for homedepot.com and of course you can use multiple emails to sign up multiple times. The coupons have been good for a month from the date they email them to you so if you do one in October, that coupon will be good through November and could be used on their BF sales.

http://www.homedepot.com/workshops

• Like 1

Hoping Home Depot continues their online workshops for another month or longer. If you do one, you get a 15% coupon for homedepot.com and of course you can use multiple emails to sign up multiple times. The coupons have been good for a month from the date they email them to you so if you do one in October, that coupon will be good through November and could be used on their BF sales.

http://www.homedepot.com/workshops

Thats good. I want to get another tree so this will come in handy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spend some $ in there last year.  I needed all their doorbusters.  About ten years ago I bought a generator and a switch at Home Depot on BF.  About ten years after we bought our house, we had a winter storm that left us powerless for ten seven days.  The next time we lost power, my street was buzzing from all the generators running.  I mocked my neighbors, "If we lose power for a week every ten years, I can deal with that."  Well, we did and I couldn't.  The following BF I cut through Home Depot on my way to Walmart to get out of the rain.  They had generators piled to the rafters.  Transfer switches too.  Both steeply discounted for BF.  I started talking to one of the employees about the generator.  As I was preparing to head out, I said, "I'd buy both of these if you used this Lowes coupon to drop the price 10%."  He did and I have been using that generator for a decade.  6000 watts for about $70 per year.  I power my well (2), my boiler, the kitchen, my bedroom, and this circuit that feeds lights on every floor of my house.  When we lose power, we are warm, drink cold beer, take hot showers, eat hot meals, watch television, and sleep is a warm waterbed (all of us).

That is why I stop in to Home Depot every Black Friday.

Sounds like an excellent experience for you. They just do not try hard enough for their customers. Lowes seems to be the price leader this year. I already knocked two major appliances off of the list this year with stellar/epic deals.

Sounds like an excellent experience for you. They just do not try hard enough for their customers. Lowes seems to be the price leader this year. I already knocked two major appliances off of the list this year with stellar/epic deals.

I don't shop much home improvement locally.  The closest Lowes will not honor deals posted to their web site.  I've ordered online for instore pickup and had a higher price waiting for me.  

See I find around me they go back and forth. If one doesn’t have a good deal the other will soon. Then they flip. I just bought some appliances for a flip a few weeks back. This batch was Lowe’s, HD had the better deal up to the day I was ready to order them Lowe’s had a good sale. :)

Since we're talking about HD in here, more details on those 15% off online workshop coupons I mentioned previously:

- Register for workshops here: https://events-na11.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/2566155714/en/events/catalog.html
- The only workshops giving out coupons are Homeowner 101 Indoor, Outdoor and Systems. Don't bother with the other ones.
- There is a registration limit for each session so some of the earlier ones might be already full. As of last night the late-October ones were still open.
- Create an Adobe Connect account to register. Each account can get 3 coupons, one for each of those 3 workshops, so register for one of each.
- The day before the workshop they'll email you a reminder with a link to that individual workshop.
- Open up a browser window for the live workshop, just make sure you are logged in early as towards the end of the workshop they close it and won't allow anyone else in.
- Each workshop runs for about an hour. At the end of the workshop 6 survey questions will pop up on screen. The last one will ask for your email to send the coupon to.
- Coupons are sent 1-2 days after the workshop and are typically good for a month. 15% off, online-only, max $200 discount. I haven't run into any product exclusions.

As relatively easy as they are to get, these 15% coupons actually sell for $50-70 each on ebay (so if you can't use them, sell them and make yourself some $). If you register for the late-October workshops the coupons should be good through BF/CM (if that even matters this year).

And theoretically you could sign up with multiple accounts and have multiple browser windows logged into each workshop to get multiple coupons per session, but I wouldn't know anything about that... ;)

• Like 2

Since we're talking about HD in here, more details on those 15% off online workshop coupons I mentioned previously:

- Register for workshops here: https://events-na11.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/2566155714/en/events/catalog.html

- The only workshops giving out coupons are Homeowner 101 Indoor, Outdoor and Systems. Don't bother with the other ones.

- There is a registration limit for each session so some of the earlier ones might be already full. As of last night the late-October ones were still open.

- Create an Adobe Connect account to register. Each account can get 3 coupons, one for each of those 3 workshops, so register for one of each.

- The day before the workshop they'll email you a reminder with a link to that individual workshop.

- Open up a browser window for the live workshop, just make sure you are logged in early as towards the end of the workshop they close it and won't allow anyone else in.

- Each workshop runs for about an hour. At the end of the workshop 6 survey questions will pop up on screen. The last one will ask for your email to send the coupon to.

- Coupons are sent 1-2 days after the workshop and are typically good for a month. 15% off, online-only, max $200 discount. I haven't run into any product exclusions.

As relatively easy as they are to get, these 15% coupons actually sell for $50-70 each on ebay (so if you can't use them, sell them and make yourself some $). If you register for the late-October workshops the coupons should be good through BF/CM (if that even matters this year).

And theoretically you could sign up with multiple accounts and have multiple browser windows logged into each workshop to get multiple coupons per session, but I wouldn't know anything about that... ;)

I am setting this up tonight