Official Thanksgiving Store Closings Discussion Thread

Brad

I received a catalog from Sam's Club today for a new "savings week" sale next week that seemingly replaced their summer "one day only" sale. We could possibly see more of that kind of thing for BF season. Rather than a big one or two-day sale, they could have a week or more with the bigger deals spaced out so everyone isn't there on the same day.

• Like 2

This is interesting. It has been years since I have been in Walmart on Black Friday but I am happy for the employees. I think this year will see sales over a period of time instead of any of the one day, you need to be here hours in advance and wait type sales. 

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts.........

There are two main reason's that WM made this call.  Supply Chain issues and Being ordered to shut down BF sales by local governments.  

All of the retail stores have been having major issues with supply chain.  For example Coca-Cola is having issues with getting raw materials for cans and already saying that they wont have enough product for the holidays and they also may have to stop some lines of drink to meet the demand.  Also you have to remember that most factories have been closed since late winter and those who have been open have been producing PPE and medical supplies.  So everything is running on short supply.  Even TV shows.  I doubt you will see a lot of new TV this fall since Hollywood has not filmed since late February. 

The second reason is local governments.  I hope I am wrong about this but i feel once the school kids go back to in person learning this fall there will be another outbreak of the virus and you will start to see shutdowns and shelter at home orders reissued.  I know where I live here in Dallas County, Texas the county has started to address BF and holiday shopping with the major retailers and malls.  

Last let me address the bear in the room.  People dont have the money for BF or even the holidays.  The Texas National Guard and the Texas Military Department (we were once our own country so we have our own DOD at the state level and the Texas Rangers!) over the last 5 months have been manning drive through food pick ups.  A lot of people are in need of food help for the first time in their life.  A lot of people are living on the edge financially and emotionally.  In the city I live in suicide calls are up 200%. 

So that is my thoughts.  The CEO's for the major retailers have been talking weekly since the pandemic started on a weekly call.  It is something that Doug McMillon at WM has started.  The week is young and I would guess you will hear more plans from more stores in the next week or so.  I would say Target's plans are next.

I hope everyone has been safe and healthy.           

• Like 3

The second reason is local governments.  I hope I am wrong about this but i feel once the school kids go back to in person learning this fall there will be another outbreak of the virus and you will start to see shutdowns and shelter at home orders reissued.  I know where I live here in Dallas County, Texas the county has started to address BF and holiday shopping with the major retailers and malls.          

Hello Jim!

I think this reason is one of the more likely ones, other than Wal-Mart trying to get some easy goodwill. Anything that attracts a crowd of people will be highly discouraged. BF crowds are uncontrollable on a regular BF - even if you put every measure in place possible to prevent rushing at the door, mad dashes around the store, etc, the problem is people will still be hanging out in groups outside the store, and that will not be allowed, even when you socially distance. Stores would have to set limits on camps, there would need to be extra security, and you do NOT want to be the store on the news that is the cause of a mini-outbreak in an area when contact tracing is finished.

There are limits on how many people can be in a store at one time - imagine the poor employee trying to manage those lines outside as they enforce capacity limits.

Nightmares.

• Like 1

I think online shopping should be the way to go this year...maybe do it like Kohl's and make it for the whole week or like Walmart and have it over weekend where certain deals are on certain days and times... I just can't see it working the same way this year as it has in the past even if each store is open and has the max number in the store according to pandemic guidelines that's still a lot of people walking in an enclosed area at one time...
  • Like 2

I agree with online deals only. However, the companies need to really up their reliability and fulfillment ratios on orders compared to previous years to keep the good will of Black Friday shoppers.

I agree and to be honest the other thing I really worry about is how horrible the delivery companies have got. I’ve had so many orders be late, lost, damaged or beyond lost and never seen again.
  • Like 3

I don't see how they will be able to gather that many people together.

I think we better think about the holidays now rather than later as I am not anticipating a robust year...

(purely a hunch, not based on anything other than seeing how hard it is to get _anything_ where I work at the moment... It's hit and miss, more misses than hits though...)

• Like 2

We have been doing more “click and pull” type shopping from

Kroger and Walmart. Trying to stay out of the stores so I’m hoping online shopping will be good this year. As much as I hate not going into stores I don’t want to risk getting sick and bringing it home to the hubby. I’m really hoping I can get the door busters I’ll need from Walmart online. Last year I did get a few before even heading to the store but they didn’t offer everything.

• Like 1

Sams is already closed on Thanksgiving but I agree that more stores will do the same. They just can’t take the liability for their employees for the crowds. I feel like we will be seeing more sales earlier on -shades of last year. I bought great stuff in Sept and Oct that ended up not being on sale on Black Friday.

Yes....What Ms.Pam said....

Most of them have had to ramp up their websites and fulfillment to just stay open during these last couple of months. Shipping is going to be the problem I think !

• Like 1

I am not surprised and I expect we will see more and more stores annouce this in the coming weeks.

*nod*

While I haven't followed K-mart in recent years, as there are no longer any near me, I hope as the originator of opening on Thanksgiving Day sales (that I know of), that they decide to follow suit, and that remaining closed on Thanksgiving Day is the norm moving forward. Let us get our deals online early, and allow us and the retail associates to enjoy the holiday at home with their families.

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 2