Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

New modem help needed

2 replies to this topic

#1 packratfamily  OFFLINE  

packratfamily

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jun 4, 2020 - 2:51 pm

Our old modem died. Our DSL co. sent us a new wifi modem/router.

I am thinking I am going to have to drag out an old laptop to set this up (default passwords will NOT be used).

We only use iPads now fed by our soon to be retired router. (Currently on cell data!)

Has anyone dealt with this before?

it has been a really long time since I have dealt with this-advice appreciated. Thnx

edited to ask: If I use our same wifi name will all the gadgets pick up and run?

inquiring minds want to know

Edited by packratfamily, Jun 4, 2020 - 3:15 pm.

#2 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 22, 2020 - 1:12 pm

Sorry for the slow response.

If you replace a router and use the same network name and password (and security encryption) as you had on the old one, and your new router supports all the 802.11?? standards of all the devices in your home, then yes all of your devices should pick up the new router just fine.

I can't answer more about your new modem/router without more information, like brand, model, version, etc.

If you still haven't gotten there (you probably already have), comment back here and I'll try to get you across the finish line.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#3 packratfamily  OFFLINE  

packratfamily

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jul 1, 2020 - 2:22 pm

Sorry for the slow response.

If you replace a router and use the same network name and password (and security encryption) as you had on the old one, and your new router supports all the 802.11?? standards of all the devices in your home, then yes all of your devices should pick up the new router just fine.

I can't answer more about your new modem/router without more information, like brand, model, version, etc.

If you still haven't gotten there (you probably already have), comment back here and I'll try to get you across the finish line.

Thank you for the kind offer. We still dont have our internet but I think it MIGHT be the DSL line because everything broadcasts but nothing connects. Even hardwired cat5 cable into a laptop. ( but the check screen says all is ok. It is Not)

BUT  i am way too stressed out w doctor stuff to mess with it so DH uses library parking lot wifi and i buy some data on my iPad.

Something will be done this month though.....

thanks again

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users