Favorite Holiday Recipes

jesusluvu

Okay, I am tired of my go to deserts and dishes and looking for new items to make as we speak. Want to surprise myself and others or Thanksgiving and Christmas. So lets share some of our favorite recipes. It can be common or unusual. I am hoping some will share those generational recipes that are one of a kind. 

Here is one of my go to : 

Gingerbread Dream 

• 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  •  
  • 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
  •  
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  •  
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  •  
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  •  
  • 3/4 teaspoon table salt
  •  
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  •  
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  •  
  • 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  •  
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  •  
  • 1 1/2 cups hot strong brewed coffee
  •  
  • 3/4 cup light molasses
  •  
  • Shortening
  •  
  •  
  •  

Preheat oven to 350°. Process first 7 ingredients in a food processor for 1 minute or until ginger is finely ground. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric stand mixer until creamy. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time; beat until blended after each addition.

Combine coffee and molasses. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the coffee mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended. Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter in 3 batches.

Spoon batter into 3 greased (with shortening) and floured 8-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool on racks.

Use favorite Icing. I make a home made buttermilk frosting

• Like 2

I made This Old Gal's Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake for Thanksgiving last year. I highly recommend it! The attached file is the one I made.

https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-bourbon-pumpkin-pie-cheesecake/

This year, I'm going to try making it lower carb, by making an almond flour based "graham cracker" crust, and using sugar alcohols in place of the sugars, including making my own candied pecans to decorate. We'll see how it turns out.

post-6463-0-78693800-1573002316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 2

I made This Old Gal's Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake for Thanksgiving last year. I highly recommend it! The attached file is the one I made.

https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-bourbon-pumpkin-pie-cheesecake/

This year, I'm going to try making it lower carb, by making an almond flour based "graham cracker" crust, and using sugar alcohols in place of the sugars, including making my own candied pecans to decorate. We'll see how it turns out.

That looks amazing.

• Like 1

This is something my MIL has made for ages - all the boys in my husband's family love it - it is really very good- especially if served with Cool Whip or freshly whipped cream!  She adds celery to hers - I have NOT included that in recipe below - just not my thing in a recipe like this - but rhubarb is a nice alternative.  Or you can just omit and it works out fine!

Cranberry Jello Mold

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 bag cranberries, fresh or frozen

1 large box black cherry jello

1 large box orange jello (mandarin flavor)

2 cups peeled, chopped apples

2 cups grapes (purple seedless cut in half)

Optional: 1 cup finely diced rhubarb, frozen is fine

1 cup frozen OJ concentrate

1 cup sugar

Wash and putt cranberries in food processor or just very finely chop- then put in 3-4 quart pot with orange juice, sugar, both boxes of jello and 2 cups water.  Bring to a boil and stir until sugar and jello are dissolved. Take off heat and cool. When cooled add rest of ingredients and put in mold and chill until firm.

Cranberry Gorgonzola Tossed Salad

This salad is GOOD!  It serves a big crowd!

2/3 c. vegetable oil

½ c. seasoned rice vinegar

1 ½ tsp. Dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic, pressed

3 - 5 heads Romaine Lettuce, rinsed, patted dry, torn into pieces (just fill a BIG bowl)

2 Granny Smith apples, diced

2/3 c. coarsely chopped walnuts

1 bag dried cranberries (use less if desired, just eyeball it!)

8 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

12 oz to 1 lb crumbled bacon

½ med. Sweet onion, thinly sliced

Dressing:  Combine oil, rice vinegar, mustard and garlic several hours in advance (mason jar good for this!).  Refrigerate.  

Chill remaining ingredients before combining in a large bowl.  Pour dressing sparingly over salad; toss gently. Serve immediately.  

Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

• 2-2.5 pound butternut squash

• 2 lg. cloves garlic, minced

• 2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 T dried

• 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

• 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt (Kosher salt works well too - if using table salt reduce to ¼ tsp)

• 1 cup de-stemmed and roughly chopped Lacinato kale (you can omit this if desired or you can’t find, I've used regular Kale too)

Almond Pecan Parmesan 

• 1/4 cup slivered almonds

• 1/4 cup pecans

• 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese (grated from the can)

• 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt (Kosher fine, Table Salt I would just use a pinch)

• 2-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a casserole dish with oil.

2. Peel the squash. Thinly slice off the bottom and top and then slice through the middle lengthwise to make two halves. Remove seeds & guts with a grapefruit spoon or ice cream scoop. Chop two halves into 1-inch chunks and place into casserole dish.

3. Add minced garlic, parsley, oil, and salt into casserole dish and stir until well combined with the squash. Do not add the kale yet.

4. Cover casserole dish with a lid (or tin foil with a few holes poked) and bake at 400F for about 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, process the parmesan ingredients together until chunky (or just chop by hand and mix in a bowl). Make sure to leave lots of nut pieces for texture. 

6. After about 45 mins (or when squash is just fork tender), remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350F. Stir in the chopped kale and stir the parmesan mixture gently into the squash. Bake for another 5-8 minutes, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Watch closely so you don’t burn them. Remove & serve!

This. Is. HEAVEN on a plate!  #truth

This is something my MIL has made for ages - all the boys in my husband's family love it - it is really very good- especially if served with Cool Whip or freshly whipped cream!  She adds celery to hers - I have NOT included that in recipe below - just not my thing in a recipe like this - but rhubarb is a nice alternative.  Or you can just omit and it works out fine!

Cranberry Jello Mold

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 bag cranberries, fresh or frozen

1 large box black cherry jello

1 large box orange jello (mandarin flavor)

2 cups peeled, chopped apples

2 cups grapes (purple seedless cut in half)

Optional: 1 cup finely diced rhubarb, frozen is fine

1 cup frozen OJ concentrate

1 cup sugar

Wash and putt cranberries in food processor or just very finely chop- then put in 3-4 quart pot with orange juice, sugar, both boxes of jello and 2 cups water.  Bring to a boil and stir until sugar and jello are dissolved. Take off heat and cool. When cooled add rest of ingredients and put in mold and chill until firm.

Cranberry Gorgonzola Tossed Salad

This salad is GOOD!  It serves a big crowd!

2/3 c. vegetable oil

½ c. seasoned rice vinegar

1 ½ tsp. Dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic, pressed

3 - 5 heads Romaine Lettuce, rinsed, patted dry, torn into pieces (just fill a BIG bowl)

2 Granny Smith apples, diced

2/3 c. coarsely chopped walnuts

1 bag dried cranberries (use less if desired, just eyeball it!)

8 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

12 oz to 1 lb crumbled bacon

½ med. Sweet onion, thinly sliced

Dressing:  Combine oil, rice vinegar, mustard and garlic several hours in advance (mason jar good for this!).  Refrigerate.  

Chill remaining ingredients before combining in a large bowl.  Pour dressing sparingly over salad; toss gently. Serve immediately.  

• 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt (Kosher salt works well too - if using table salt reduce to ¼ tsp)

• 1 cup de-stemmed and roughly chopped Lacinato kale (you can omit this if desired or you can’t find, I've used regular Kale too)

Almond Pecan Parmesan 

• 1/4 cup pecans

• 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese (grated from the can)

• 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt (Kosher fine, Table Salt I would just use a pinch)

2. Peel the squash. Thinly slice off the bottom and top and then slice through the middle lengthwise to make two halves. Remove seeds & guts with a grapefruit spoon or ice cream scoop. Chop two halves into 1-inch chunks and place into casserole dish.

3. Add minced garlic, parsley, oil, and salt into casserole dish and stir until well combined with the squash. Do not add the kale yet.

4. Cover casserole dish with a lid (or tin foil with a few holes poked) and bake at 400F for about 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, process the parmesan ingredients together until chunky (or just chop by hand and mix in a bowl). Make sure to leave lots of nut pieces for texture. 

6. After about 45 mins (or when squash is just fork tender), remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350F. Stir in the chopped kale and stir the parmesan mixture gently into the squash. Bake for another 5-8 minutes, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Watch closely so you don’t burn them. Remove & serve!

This. Is. HEAVEN on a plate!  #truth

I love a lot of things with cranberry. Might have to try the jello for dinner on Sunday

Double White Chocolate Cake

1 c. 

unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan

3 1/2 c. 

all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan

2 1/2 tsp. 

baking powder

1/2 tsp. 

baking soda

1/2 tsp. 

kosher salt

4 oz. 

white chocolate, chopped

1/2 c. 

just-boiled water

1 1/2 c. 

granulated sugar

large egg whites

1 tsp. 

pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 c. 

buttermilk, at room temp

1. Make cake: Heat oven to 300°F. Butter and flour an angel food cake pan; tap out excess flour. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  2. Place white chocolate in a bowl, pour just-boiled water over the top, and stir until melted and smooth.
  3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
  4. Reduce mixer speed to medium and add egg whites 1 at a time, beating until each is fully incorporated, then beat in vanilla extract. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with buttermilk and mixing just until incorporated. Mix in white chocolate mixture.
  5. Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, 75 to 80 minutes. Transfer cake to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes before inverting onto wire rack to cool completely.
  6. FROSTING
    3 oz. 

white chocolate, chopped 

1/2 c. 

unsalted butter (1 stick)

8 oz. 

cream cheese, at room temperature (1 package) 

1 c. 

confectioners’ sugar

1/2 c. 

heavy cream, cold

1. Make frosting: Microwave chocolate on 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. 
  2. Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and mix to combine, then mix in melted chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Once ready to use, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Stir a spoonful into cream cheese mixture, then fold in remaining whipped cream.
  3. To assemble: To assemble, cut cake in half through equator. Transfer bottom half to serving platter and spread with jam and ¾ cup cream cheese frosting; sandwich with top half. Cover cake with remaining cream cheese frosting and top with raspberries, sugar flowers, and snowflake transfers, then dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. 

Almond Pecan Parmesan

• 1/4 cup pecans

• 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese (grated from the can)

This. Is. HEAVEN on a plate! #truth

Do you think I could replace the kale with spinach? I’m not allowed to eat kale (dr.’s orders, I swear) but this recipe sounds so delicious I need to try it!