Thanksgiving dinner

ytmomof4

Feeling annoyed and posting here because I know you all will understand.

We go to my MIL’s every year for thanksgiving. She always has the meal at 1.(she knows I shop). Well last night she sends a text out stating she is changing here time to 3. This really cuts into my shopping time. I might have to do some of my shopping online which I have never done and am afraid I will miss out on what I need. Thanks for letting me vent!!

• Like 2

I’m sorry that she’s changing things up on you, that sucks. I hate it when I feel like I have a good BF system down and then a monkey wrench gets thrown into the gears (though my problem has generally been caused by the stores new hours more than anything else).

I don’t go out shopping in store until Friday morning so I’ve had to do some shopping online on Thursday for must haves that I’m worried will run out. Online shopping isn’t the same, but honestly so long as the websites don’t crash I’ve had decent luck getting what I’ve wanted online. My only advice about online is be patient and keep checking back as things will fluctuate and go in and out and back in stock throughout the day. Fingers crossed that you’ll have a good online experience!

• Like 4

Yeah, that's a tough one...my cousins and aunt and uncle get together every year and there is no set time so it's kinda when everyone gets there and I hate that...so for the past few years I have not gone...I know that's probably not an option for you, but I feel your pain...
  • Like 1

One of my kids has to work Black Friday - so she will be doing her shopping Thanksgiving night and into the early morning prior to going to work - we moved up our dinner until 2 to help her out - but now another child is upset because she has to go to her in-laws and that time doesn't work for her! Uggggggggg!  I FEEL your pain!

• Like 1

Feeling annoyed and posting here because I know you all will understand.

We go to my MIL’s every year for thanksgiving. She always has the meal at 1.(she knows I shop). Well last night she sends a text out stating she is changing here time to 3. This really cuts into my shopping time. I might have to do some of my shopping online which I have never done and am afraid I will miss out on what I need. Thanks for letting me vent!!

I'm so sorry, that's so aggravating!

I have been primarily shopping online for several years now, and I have been able to get everything I need, most of the times even before Thanksgiving dinner. That's nice, because if you just aren't able to get something, you know you'll have another chance in store.

A couple times, when something was already sold out online (stupid sleep), I ordered for in store pickup. Since the stores had not opened yet, they still had stock.

Last year, my sister was looking for several things at Kohl's, but they were out, and we got there at open. The manager explained that since they started their sale online Monday, and a lot of people chose store pickup, that they were already out of a lot of stuff before Thanksgiving.

One word of caution about online shopping though... once you start, you get spoiled, and may not want to go out as much. So if that's your rush, it may make you sad.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone unfortunately I can’t totally skip thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws(boo because I really don’t feel wanted around there anyways). But I’m planning on skipping out as soon as I eat.

I guess I will be trying for online and hoping I get everything I want. I guess I just need to figure out how to do Black Friday online. As soon as dinner is over I’m out of there and hitting the stores.

I guess I do still have hope that my son who works at Michaels will need me to take him to work and I can get out of there even earlier or skip all together

• Like 2

Thanks everyone unfortunately I can’t totally skip thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws(boo because I really don’t feel wanted around there anyways). But I’m planning on skipping out as soon as I eat.

I guess I will be trying for online and hoping I get everything I want. I guess I just need to figure out how to do Black Friday online. As soon as dinner is over I’m out of there and hitting the stores.

I guess I do still have hope that my son who works at Michaels will need me to take him to work and I can get out of there even earlier or skip all together

Veterans of online BF shopping around here can definitely help you navigate. Start asking questions early and there are plenty of GDers that can get you pointed in the right direction and/or help you plan as the ads drop. 

As for me, I will tell you I do my Kohl's BF online late Sunday night as soon as the sale goes live. At that time, there's usually a decent coupon (20% off maybe?) you can still use to maximize your savings if you do your shopping within the first hour or two after the sale goes live. I use in-store pickup option as much as I can for theirs and can usually have all my in-store pickup items in hand by the end of the day on Monday of Thanksgiving week. Handy, since that's when I start a lot of my baking and I'm usually getting yet another set of stackable wire cooling racks to add to my growing collection (which is still, amazingly, my bottleneck point in my baking process in spite of the fact that I can have - I think - 20+ dozen cookies cooling with the racks I have now). 

One of my kids has to work Black Friday - so she will be doing her shopping Thanksgiving night and into the early morning prior to going to work - we moved up our dinner until 2 to help her out - but now another child is upset because she has to go to her in-laws and that time doesn't work for her! Uggggggggg!  I FEEL your pain!

My son is married and she works at Hobby Lobby.  Her family has Thanksgiving meal at lunchtime.  I work at a 911 center.  I am off Thanksgiving Day, but I work the weekend before and after, and the Tuesday before (3p-11p).  My BIL (husband's brother) is a deputy and has to work Wed and Thurs.  My sister works every day except Tuesday (thankfully she works from 7a-3p).  My mother in law is not going to be able to cook at all this year because she is having medical issues).  Normally we do two separate Thanksgiving meals, one for my family and one for my husband's family.  But with the crazy schedule we all have we decided it would be easier to do it all together.  Everyone was okay with that.  So, we are going to do our Thanksgiving meal the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  I am going to have to cook a few things ahead of time and put in freezer since I have a crazy work schedule that week, but it is when most of the family could be there.

My brother in law said that as long as they aren't busy he will try to stop in to eat.  I told my husband I really think doing it on Wednesday is better anyway because it gives me some time to sleep Thanksgiving Day..

I always have to split my day between both our families. We both have big CLOSE families and it is a whirlwind at times. The early hours and shopping on Thursday really messed up my arrangements. I use to could go to both and get home, sleep for a few hours and at the first store by 2am if I did not have to camp out for something. Now I just get there when I get there. I will not sacrifice family time for gifts. This year is a little more frustrating as my oldest DD got her first job - WALMART - so we are trying to see if she has to work or not and that will be a problem as it might be the first thanksgiving we are not all together.  

• Like 1