GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Seven days until my new toaster oven arrives.  In the meantime, I am carrying out a tour de force with my air fryer.  Tonight we had pork chops.  I also toasted garlic bread in the air fryer.  Tomorrow, we are having meatloaf.  The pan fits and I'll use the probe to cook to 160f.  Probably have most of the heat come from below or put aluminum foil over the top of the loaf if the top begins to overcook.  Shrimp scampi on the stove top Friday.  We do this all the time.  Chicken Cordon Bleu Saturday.  Again a regular air fryer meal.  Ribeye with twice baked potato Sunday.  First for twice baked potatoes.  Grilled salmon and asparagus Monday.  We do this all the time.  Stuffed peppers on Tuesday.  Chicken Marsala on the stove Wednesday, but I'm going to cook the chicken in the air fryer which is a change.

Over the weekend, I usually make a breakfast casserole and a loaf of banana bread.  I'll have to use a couple smaller casserole dishes for the breakfast casserole.  

I'm open to easy and amazing air fryer recipes if anyone has ideas.

Happy October!

Toaster should arrive a day early.  The Tour De Force is pretty much over.  

1. Meatloaf tasked great, but lacked the body I was accustomed to.  With no less than 30% of heat from the top, maybe I should have covered with foil.  Kind of boiled it ;-)
  2. Tacos and burritos came out great.

Everything else was stuff we had already been cooking in the Fryer or was cooked on the stove top.  Decided to wait on the bread and casserole.

October check-in.

I'm so frustrated with the postal service. I had a package shipped from New York (I'm in Ohio) on September 23. Following the tracking number, it was in the Columbus area at one time, went to Cincinnati and back to Columbus, where it has been sitting for 8 days now. It was shipped via UPS but delivery is via USPS.  I could have picked it up myself in a shorter time than I've been waiting for it to be delivered. I'm hoping Christmas deliveries aren't this bad.

October check-in.

I'm so frustrated with the postal service. I had a package shipped from New York (I'm in Ohio) on September 23. Following the tracking number, it was in the Columbus area at one time, went to Cincinnati and back to Columbus, where it has been sitting for 8 days now. It was shipped via UPS but delivery is via USPS. I could have picked it up myself in a shorter time than I've been waiting for it to be delivered. I'm hoping Christmas deliveries aren't this bad.

I had one package get hung up in Cbus but since that one, everything has been coming quickly. The problem I have is that Amazon isn’t even trying with the 2 day thing anymore. Everything I look at is 5-7 days shipping estimate

• Like 1

Oh, October, I'm usually a wait until Halloween is over before starting thinking about Christmas kind of person.  This year, I've skipped over Halloween and started Christmas crafts already.  Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween!!!  Stay safe and have fun!!!!

• Like 1

Delivery snafus have started already!  We got in someone else's Walmart package.  It had the correct address (I think) yet, delivered to me.  I was kind enough to deliver it properly, but I'm not sure how many people will actually take the time to properly deliver especially if it is pretty far away or if they kinda like what you ordered.

If you call the carrier back (UPS/Amazon/Post Office) do you think they will come get it from you or show up at the wrong house?

Delivery snafus have started already!  We got in someone else's Walmart package.  It had the correct address (I think) yet, delivered to me.  I was kind enough to deliver it properly, but I'm not sure how many people will actually take the time to properly deliver especially if it is pretty far away or if they kinda like what you ordered.

If you call the carrier back (UPS/Amazon/Post Office) do you think they will come get it from you or show up at the wrong house?

I had a package delivered to Walgreens because it required a signature and I was possibly going to be out of my home at the time of delivery (by end of day and they had already changed the day three times.  Ironically, I was not required to sign for it when I picked it up).  The box was damaged -- one corner crushed.  It would not have been giftable, but it was OK for me.  Walmart and Amazon are working hard to get us back in the B&Ms!

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

I had a package delivered to Walgreens because it required a signature and I was possibly going to be out of my home at the time of delivery (by end of day and they had already changed the day three times.  Ironically, I was not required to sign for it when I picked it up).  The box was damaged -- one corner crushed.  It would not have been giftable, but it was OK for me.  Walmart and Amazon are working hard to get us back in the B&Ms!

Len,

If you read this I need some advise on a wifi router. Netgear Orbi rbk50 or the Netgear Nighthawk x6s - not gaming to heavy and need good coverage upstairs. 

Len,

If you read this I need some advise on a wifi router. Netgear Orbi rbk50 or the Netgear Nighthawk x6s - not gaming to heavy and need good coverage upstairs.

Not Len, but I just switched from a Nighthawk to Orbi and the coverage is monumentally better. I have signal into m backyard and the house (2200 Sq ft) has zero dead spots.

• Like 1

What do you have now?

Linksys EA7500. I havent upgraded in years and it is time. I have a Linksys max extender but it still gives spotty coverage upstairs. 

Not Len, but I just switched from a Nighthawk to Orbi and the coverage is monumentally better. I have signal into m backyard and the house (2200 Sq ft) has zero dead spots.

Yes, that is where I was leaning but the issue is speed. Not sure if I really need the extra speed or if it will even be noticeable. 

Depending on if you can get a network cable to different places in your house you could use the Ubiquiti Access Points. I have 3 setup here and 0 issues with coverage across the entire house (both floors) garage, patio and so on. It’s more professional type gear but still very easy to configure.

They sell products that cover home use also and I believe they released their WiFi 6 routers and gear recently also.

• Like 2

Depending on if you can get a network cable to different places in your house you could use the Ubiquiti Access Points. I have 3 setup here and 0 issues with coverage across the entire house (both floors) garage, patio and so on. It’s more professional type gear but still very easy to configure.

They sell products that cover home use also and I believe they released their WiFi 6 routers and gear recently also.

+1 on the Ubiquiti recommendation. Quality stuff.

• Like 1

Linksys EA7500. I haven't upgraded in years and it is time. I have a Linksys max extender but it still gives spotty coverage upstairs. 

Yes, that is where I was leaning but the issue is speed. Not sure if I really need the extra speed or if it will even be noticeable. 

The EA7500 is an excellent router.  AC should give you robust coverage throughout your home.  If possible, before spending money on a new router, I would install a wifi tool on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop and map out coverage.  Then I would experiment with changing the location of the router.  Generally, the best location for a WiFi hotspot is the center of your home, but appliances and building materials can cause problems.  If you are unable to solve the problem this way, I'll jump on the Ubiquiti bandwagon.

[Edited to add...]

Also, if the devices you are having problems with are older devices, make sure the radios are AC.  If not, you can easily upgrade...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5PRK7J

I bought this for a friend.  He and his wife were using laptops at the same table.  Hers kept dropping off while his was fine.  I surveyed the site and found that the 2.4Ghz frequency was very crowded.  Once we moved her to 5.0Ghz the laptop was rock solid.  They live in a crowded neighborhood.

Edited by len_mullen

The EA7500 is an excellent router.  AC should give you robust coverage throughout your home.  If possible, before spending money on a new router, I would install a wifi tool on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop and map out coverage.  Then I would experiment with changing the location of the router.  Generally, the best location for a WiFi hotspot is the center of your home, but appliances and building materials can cause problems.  If you are unable to solve the problem this way, I'll jump on the Ubiquiti bandwagon.

[Edited to add...]

Also, if the devices you are having problems with are older devices, make sure the radios are AC.  If not, you can easily upgrade...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5PRK7J

I bought this for a friend.  He and his wife were using laptops at the same table.  Hers kept dropping off while his was fine.  I surveyed the site and found that the 2.4Ghz frequency was very crowded.  Once we moved her to 5.0Ghz the laptop was rock solid.  They live in a crowded neighborhood.

Thanks for the input 

Thanks

I got my next door neighbor’s package and both our house #s are clearly marked. Was not to far to walk;).  (Amazon)

Edited by packratfamily

I use these to get ethernet from the first to the second floor of my home.  Never even think about them...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H74VKZU

Len,

If you are still shopping, Walmart has the TP-Link Archer AX1800 | 4 Stream Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Wireless Router | Up to 1.8 Gbps Speeds | 1.5 GHz Quad-Core CPU for $129.  Wirecutter loves this router (UPDATED SEPTEMBER 14, 2020)...

After testing and evaluating 30 routers over 250 hours, we’ve determined that the best router for wirelessly connecting your laptops, your smart devices, and anything else your daily life depends on is the TP-Link Archer AX50.

The TP-Link Archer AX50 is reasonably priced, yet it can handle a growing selection of laptops and smart devices while surpassing the performance of routers that cost twice as much. It’s generally speedy and able to reach long range, it has little lag even when the network is busy, and it’s a great choice if you have a high-performance internet service plan. It’s compatible with Wi-Fi 6, the latest wireless standard, and it comes with built-in security in the form of a lifetime subscription to updates.

The best Wi-Fi router
In our tests the TP-Link Archer AX50 created a speedy, responsive network even from across a medium house. You have to spend a lot more on a router—or a mesh kit if you have a very large home—to get anything even a little better. It’s our first WI-Fi 6 (802.11ax) router pick.

Happy shopping!

Long time no see everyone. I was struggling a bit with depression since late summer and I fell off the face of the planet for a while. I’ve found that really limiting my screen time (the news and social media in particular) has been extremely helpful for my mental health. I missed you all though and I’m glad I’m back in the forums. I’ve just caught up on the posts and I’m glad most everyone is doing well, considering the strange COVID times. Looking forward to all the conversations in the different threads!
  • Like 7

Toaster should arrive a day early.  The Tour De Force is pretty much over.  

1. Meatloaf tasked great, but lacked the body I was accustomed to.  With no less than 30% of heat from the top, maybe I should have covered with foil.  Kind of boiled it ;-)
  2. Tacos and burritos came out great.

Everything else was stuff we had already been cooking in the Fryer or was cooked on the stove top.  Decided to wait on the bread and casserole.

How is the toaster so far? Never heard anymore on it. Wife was saying this past weekend we need to pick one up. Have been thinking about the Ninja Foodi XL since it's a multi device but it's sort of expensive.

• Like 1