GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

To claim back our bummer summer, and get the hell out of our house, my wife and I bought a travel trailer.  Our son loves it, and we've taken it out a couple of times.  It's been a saving grace in just a few weeks!

DS starts 3rd grade online later this month.

• Like 2

Just heard this one on the morning news...

Weather reporter: 'More possible record highs coming up so don't expect the monsoon to come back anytime soon.'

Reporter: 'I wonder what happened to our monsoon season?'

Weather reporter: 'Well, we reported earlier we've been one of the record highs of COVID in the nation, ya know. I think we scared it away.'

Couldn't post this until I cleaned up the juice I spit out after I heard that! :D

• Like 2

Well, the end of my summer officially sucks.  One of my kids has Covid.  Thankfully, it's a mild case.  So far the rest of us have tested negative.  But, the quarantine is going to be the end of me.  Since I can't completely isolate from her (someone has to bring her meals  :chicken: and I'm a single parent) I have to quarantine for 14 days - but the 14 days don't begin until after her symptoms are gone.  It's August.  I'm an educator who can't go to the school until at least the first day of inservice.  We are going back face-to-face and I can't even prepare.   :gdcensored:  :gdcensored:  :gdcensored:  :gdcensored:

I'm not trying to make a political statement, but please wear a mask, follow the guidelines.  Whether or not you believe the experts, QUARANTINE SUCKS and should be enough of a motivator to follow the guidelines.  We were careful.  I allowed my daughter to have contact with 3 people this summer (outside of family), and 2 have Covid, plus her.  UGH.

I allowed my daughter to have contact with 3 people this summer (outside of family), and 2 have Covid, plus her.  UGH.

One of the things I have found frustrating about the COVID19 coverage is lack of specificity regarding those who are affected.  To me, it's interesting that your daughter and two of the three people she had contact with were affected but the rest of your family was not.  I assume that your daughter did not wear a mask while in close proximity to family members (at least you) at the time she contracted the virus.  Did she wear a mask when in contact with the other three?  Did any of the other two exhibit symptoms?  Was the third person tested for antibodies?  Were you present when she was in contact with the three?  If not, do you know what they did when you were not present?

As for the quarantine, if your daughter is old enough to understand, it would be best for you to let her use a separate bathroom (if possible).  You can leave her meals outside her door and let her pick them up and place the dishes outside the door.  If you have the means, order a pair of Echo Shows...

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo-Show-Compact-Charcoal/dp/B07HZLHPKP

You can leave the connection up all day and talk and see each other.

Good luck.

• Like 1

You probably already knew this, but Aldis and Market Basket top the list of least expensive places to shop.  Of these, only Costco, Trader Joe's, H-E-B, and Peapod are top 12 in quality.  Top 13 in Digital include (in order) Amazon, Target, Peapod, Walmart, Sam's Club, and CostCo.

Winners in Operations is topped by Market Basket!  BJs, CostCo, Sam's Club, and Hannaford make the top 13.

The study was last run in 2019, so the impact of COVID19 did get measured.  

Right now, my grocery dollars are won by...

1. Aldi
  2. Market Basket
  3. Shaws
  4. Hannaford
  5. Amazon

And there is a huge gap between Market Basket and Shaws.

Here’s the full list of winners in price:

1. Aldi
  2. Market Basket
  3. WinCo
  4. Food4Less
  5. Costco
  6. Walmart
  7. Trader Joe’s
  8. Walmart Neighborhood Market
  9. Lidl
  10. Amazon
  11. H-E-B
  12. Peapod
  13. Sam’s Club

Where do you shop for groceries and how important is price to you?

• Like 2

She is using a separate bathroom.  The 2 others are her boyfriend (I'm sure no mask) and her best friend (also, sure no mask).  The 3rd person, she lifts with and they do wear face masks in the fitness center.

One of the things I have found frustrating about the COVID19 coverage is lack of specificity regarding those who are affected.  To me, it's interesting that your daughter and two of the three people she had contact with were affected but the rest of your family was not.  I assume that your daughter did not wear a mask while in close proximity to family members (at least you) at the time she contracted the virus.  Did she wear a mask when in contact with the other three?  Did any of the other two exhibit symptoms?  Was the third person tested for antibodies?  Were you present when she was in contact with the three?  If not, do you know what they did when you were not present?

As for the quarantine, if your daughter is old enough to understand, it would be best for you to let her use a separate bathroom (if possible).  You can leave her meals outside her door and let her pick them up and place the dishes outside the door.  If you have the means, order a pair of Echo Shows...

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo-Show-Compact-Charcoal/dp/B07HZLHPKP

You can leave the connection up all day and talk and see each other.

Good luck.

You probably already knew this, but Aldis and Market Basket top the list of least expensive places to shop.  Of these, only Costco, Trader Joe's, H-E-B, and Peapod are top 12 in quality.  Top 13 in Digital include (in order) Amazon, Target, Peapod, Walmart, Sam's Club, and CostCo.

Winners in Operations is topped by Market Basket!  BJs, CostCo, Sam's Club, and Hannaford make the top 13.

The study was last run in 2019, so the impact of COVID19 did get measured.  

Right now, my grocery dollars are won by...

1. Aldi
  2. Market Basket
  3. Shaws
  4. Hannaford
  5. Amazon

And there is a huge gap between Market Basket and Shaws.

Here’s the full list of winners in price:

1. Aldi
  2. Market Basket
  3. WinCo
  4. Food4Less
  5. Costco
  6. Walmart
  7. Trader Joe’s
  8. Walmart Neighborhood Market
  9. Lidl
  10. Amazon
  11. H-E-B
  12. Peapod
  13. Sam’s Club

Where do you shop for groceries and how important is price to you?

We don't have

1. Aldi
  2. Market Basket
  3. WinCo
  4. Food4Less
  5. Costco
  6. Trader Joe’s
  7. Walmart Neighborhood Market
  8. Lidl
  9. H-E-B
  10. Peapod
  11. Shaws
  12. Hannaford

The only grocery stores here that do deliver to your car pickup (which I have NO choice but to do) are Greer's and Walmart. I also shop Amazon for supplies, but was so deeply disappointed by my last Prime Pantry order - that I won't be using them for food items until it is cooler outside and inside of delivery trucks so that I don't have to throw half my order away.

We can't get food delivered where I live, so we are having to use the 2 stores listed above as our only means of grocery shopping. :( We are quite limited on what these stores carry or have in stock, but are using this time to experiment with lots of new recipes so that boredom doesn't set in with meal times.

We can't get food delivered where I live, so we are having to use the 2 stores listed above as our only means of grocery shopping. :( We are quite limited on what these stores carry or have in stock, but are using this time to experiment with lots of new recipes so that boredom doesn't set in with meal times.

That's terrible.  At least you have Walmart.  I don't love them, and I don't know what Greer's is, but #6 on the price chart is not a terrible thing.

Do you have a garden?  Fish? Hunt?  Just curious.  When I was a scout, my tentmate and his dad hunted all of the deer seasons.  I am a fan of venison.

• Like 1

I also shop Amazon for supplies, but was so deeply disappointed by my last Prime Pantry order - that I won't be using them for food items until it is cooler outside and inside of delivery trucks so that I don't have to throw half my order away.

Yeah, my last pantry order, they put bags of chips in the 'main part' of the box with bottled drinks, and put frosting cans and cashew cans and boxed mixes in the sectioned off 'safe' part. The chips were crushed and both bags had holes in them, so that was fun to clean up. Plus, the box was very heavy and broke the tape, so it was delivered untaped and upside down.

I called to have the chips resent or refunded. Online I couldn't request a refund of food. And on the phone they couldn't just send a replacement, they had to refund. But then something wasn't done right on their end, and they refunded my entire order.

I did another this week, because Kroger was out of body wash of all things on my weekly pickup order, and there were a few other things I could get. (Fun fact: it's hard to find single body wash on regular Amazon, but Pantry has it.) But I was very thoughtful on what I ordered (no chips!), so hoping the packing is better and this one arrives less crushed.

• Like 1

That's terrible.  At least you have Walmart.  I don't love them, and I don't know what Greer's is, but #6 on the price chart is not a terrible thing.

Do you have a garden?  Fish? Hunt?  Just curious.  When I was a scout, my tentmate and his dad hunted all of the deer seasons.  I am a fan of venison.

Hubby used to hunt - but has too many health problems now. (I LOVE venison as well!)

The silly pandemic stopped me from being able to do my raised gardens in the spring, but I hope to get a fall/winter garden going soon - IF I can get the soil for the raised gardens.

Something really cool happened last month.  I really like the Amazon Recast whole house DVR.  Besides streaming and recording OTA, the Recast has a grid style program guide that integrates OTT services.  Until July, those services were limited to Philo and Pluto plus Prime Channels.  In July, Amazon opened the guide to Sling TV, YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV...

https://cordcuttingreport.com/2020/07/08/fire-tv-channel-guide/

May I ask, has Amazon ever put that Amazon Recast thing on Sale? Sounds like something we'd love. Sorry if that was too personal a question. I hope you all are doing well. Glad to be back and check in every once in a while.

Yeah, my last pantry order, they put bags of chips in the 'main part' of the box with bottled drinks, and put frosting cans and cashew cans and boxed mixes in the sectioned off 'safe' part. The chips were crushed and both bags had holes in them, so that was fun to clean up. Plus, the box was very heavy and broke the tape, so it was delivered untaped and upside down.

I called to have the chips resent or refunded. Online I couldn't request a refund of food. And on the phone they couldn't just send a replacement, they had to refund. But then something wasn't done right on their end, and they refunded my entire order.

I did another this week, because Kroger was out of body wash of all things on my weekly pickup order, and there were a few other things I could get. (Fun fact: it's hard to find single body wash on regular Amazon, but Pantry has it.) But I was very thoughtful on what I ordered (no chips!), so hoping the packing is better and this one arrives less crushed.

My last order was a MESS! Cans bent to heck and back, something sticky all over EVERYTHING - which drew ants to the box (inside and out) - so, ant infestation in the house when I opened the box and started getting bitten!!! - Some of my items leaked due to the excessive heat and had to be thrown away... I just sat down and cried! With only 2 stores that I can get food from - I had no choice but to order some things in... BUT we will change what we are making and eating until it cools down, and hopefully Amazon gets their act together where canned goods are concerned!  But, they have been a God-Send in my being able to get some cleaning and disinfecting products sent in that NONE of the store around here EVER seem to have.

• Like 1

May I ask, has Amazon ever put that Amazon Recast thing on Sale? Sounds like something we'd love. Sorry if that was too personal a question. I hope you all are doing well. Glad to be back and check in every once in a while.

All the time.  I paid $229 for my 1t/four tuner unit.  I've seen it for less than $200 and the two tuner unit for less than $150 -- just last month as a matter of fact.  

Edited by len_mullen

I cannot remember the last time I got an Amazon order that wasn't crushed, torn, or wet.  Right now, I am pouring olive oil out of a can that is crushed on one corner.

USPS crammed a bag containing a too big box of k-cups in my mailbox.  Two cups ruptured and made quite a mess.

I'm really starting to wonder how essential these people are  :rant:

• Like 3

I received the pathology results from the two biopsies I had done nearly two weeks ago. Unfortunately, what I received is the actual medical write up, with terminology I don't understand.

I messaged my urogynecologist/surgeon, asking him to explain the results in layman's terms. His office responded, telling me he is out of the office until my scheduled follow up visit on the 21st.

Thankfully, I have Facebook friends who do comprehend the terminology, and were wiling to look over what I received. It basically sounds as though there is good news and not so good news, but my apprehension has been reduced regarding waiting to speak with my doctor.

I was told my doctor will be checking messages while he is away, so I may yet hear from him before my follow up. It has also been suggested I give both my primary, who had referred me to the urogynecologist, and my oncologist, who

should have access to the results, calls and see if they have any input. So, I

I'll be following up on that tomorrow.

In the meantime, as an already three different cancer thriver, I thank you all for your prayers, well wishes, and healing thoughts and light. I will gladly continue to accept them.

Once I have a definitive plan in place, if one is necessary, I'll update again

Love and Light!

• Like 5

I received the pathology results from the two biopsies I had done nearly two weeks ago. Unfortunately, what I received is the actual medical write up, with terminology I don't understand.

I messaged my urogynecologist/surgeon, asking him to explain the results in layman's terms. His office responded, telling me he is out of the office until my scheduled follow up visit on the 21st.

Thankfully, I have Facebook friends who do comprehend the terminology, and were wiling to look over what I received. It basically sounds as though there is good news and not so good news, but my apprehension has been reduced regarding waiting to speak with my doctor.

I was told my doctor will be checking messages while he is away, so I may yet hear from him before my follow up. It has also been suggested I give both my primary, who had referred me to the urogynecologist, and my oncologist, who

In the meantime, as an already three different cancer thriver, I thank you all for your prayers, well wishes, and healing thoughts and light. I will gladly continue to accept them.

Love and Light!

Love and Light! :gdhug5:

• Like 1

Prayers Gator Pam, glad you got an idea of what to expect at least.  Waiting is the hardest!

Love and Light!

Well, the end of my summer officially sucks.  One of my kids has Covid.  Thankfully, it's a mild case.  So far the rest of us have tested negative.  But, the quarantine is going to be the end of me.  Since I can't completely isolate from her (someone has to bring her meals  :chicken: and I'm a single parent) I have to quarantine for 14 days - but the 14 days don't begin until after her symptoms are gone.  It's August.  I'm an educator who can't go to the school until at least the first day of inservice.  We are going back face-to-face and I can't even prepare.   :gdcensored:  :gdcensored:  :gdcensored:  :gdcensored:

I'm not trying to make a political statement, but please wear a mask, follow the guidelines.  Whether or not you believe the experts, QUARANTINE SUCKS and should be enough of a motivator to follow the guidelines.  We were careful.  I allowed my daughter to have contact with 3 people this summer (outside of family), and 2 have Covid, plus her.  UGH.

I just want to be sure I'm understanding this right. Your 14 day quarantine doesn't begin till after your daughter's symptoms are gone? So you're able to go out and do things now, after being exposed to her? That doesn't sound right to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

• Like 1

I just want to be sure I'm understanding this right. Your 14 day quarantine doesn't begin till after your daughter's symptoms are gone? So you're able to go out and do things now, after being exposed to her? That doesn't sound right to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I think she has to quarantine now, until 14 days after her daughter's symptoms are gone. Everyone talks about quarantine for 14 days, but it's actually much longer because she can't even start counting those days until that point.

• Like 1

This would not make sense.  It must be from detection until 14 days after symptoms are gone.  Otherwise, daughter could be infecting others while waiting for the symptoms to go away.

• Like 1

I leave in less than 36 hours on my road trip down to best friend’s place in FL for the Daytona road course race this Sunday. Will be masked up, making minimal stops along the drive, and looking forward to seeing dear friends again, including our third amigo I’ll be meeting up with at roughly the halfway point in SC. May not quite be the race trip we all thought we’d get but we’re going to take advantage of the opportunity.

As word has spread among our “track family” (pit crew/spotter buddies) that we will be at the track, we’ve gotten a lot of excited versions of “really?!?!?” from those that can reach us directly via social media/texting. Warms our hearts to know they’ve been missing us as much as we’ve been missing them. [emoji170][emoji170][emoji170] Saw one of our spotter buddies on Friday when the NASCAR crews were in town for the MIS double header. Stayed masked up/socially distanced, save for two brief moments: (1) when we exchanged a shirt (that I’d bought from him) for about 5 dozen fresh chocolate chip cookies (that he then took up the spotters’ stand to share) and (2) when I asked if I could grab a pic of his smiling face as a hello to the other two cookie girls (aka the gals I’m going to the race with this weekend). He stood back at an appropriate distance, then took his mask off for a hot sec so I could snap the picture. (And yes, he’s one of the guys who was excited to find out we’d be in Daytona. [emoji4])

31d7d483fe8a336b35b75c6858522030.jpg

• Like 5

Whew! Made it to the weekend! School starts Monday, after a 2 week delay, and this has been a whirlwind week getting learning devices out for everyone (we were already 1-to-1, but K-2 didn't take devices home before, and they are now). My husband and I are on the technology district office end, making sure schools have what they need, and my son is on the school end, the person getting devices to the students. We've also had a big rise in enrollment, so it's been a lot more than just the littles having to have devices assigned (son is at a high school). So it's been stressful for all of us.

I finshed blanket #15 since March Thursday. Today so far I've been lazy, but I need to go sand my foyer floor. Last weekend I got all the poly and stain off, and now I need to sand all over with a finer grit. Bleh.

Edited by bluebear
  • Like 2

We finally got our upright freezer deliver this past week that we ordered in the early part of May. So, today I am in the process of moving food from our old chest deep freezer to the new one and doing an inventory as I go. Hubby set up an excel spread sheet for me to enter all of it into when I get done so that we can keep up with what we have and the dates we added it to the freezer... Fun, fun! ;)

After waiting over 3 months to get the freezer - the delivery people could NOT install the door handle! It was produced wrong - so, the company's answer was to pick up the defective freezer and deliver a new one sometime at the end of September or SO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ... Hubby wound up working on it for several days and finally got it to fit so that we can at least open and close the freezer. Thank goodness he is good at rigging thing up! I about lost my mind over this one!

Awwwww.... Covid life! ;)

• Like 2

We finally got our upright freezer deliver this past week that we ordered in the early part of May. So, today I am in the process of moving food from our old chest deep freezer to the new one and doing an inventory as I go. Hubby set up an excel spread sheet for me to enter all of it into when I get done so that we can keep up with what we have and the dates we added it to the freezer... Fun, fun! ;)

After waiting over 3 months to get the freezer - the delivery people could NOT install the door handle! It was produced wrong - so, the company's answer was to pick up the defective freezer and deliver a new one sometime at the end of September or SO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ... Hubby wound up working on it for several days and finally got it to fit so that we can at least open and close the freezer. Thank goodness he is good at rigging thing up! I about lost my mind over this one!

Awwwww.... Covid life! ;)

I would still have lost my mind. I hope you got a decent reimbursement on the cost for their manufacturing error, and that adjusting it to work didn't void your warranty!

You are a good wife. He is a lucky man. If I could ever have had my wife simply document her healthcare expenses, I would have been in Heaven. 

I hope you don't plan to get rid of the chest. I have two refrigerators -- the one we bought with the house and the one I bought when the one that replaced the one we bought with the house crapped out -- and a chest freezer.

Everything comes into the chest freezer (in the basement).  I rotate the older stuff into the freezer above the old refrigerator (in the basement).  Stuff that I have opened or use on an ongoing basis goes into the freezer above the new refrigerator (in the kitchen).  As a bonus, the frig in the basement is loaded with beer and seltzer plus leftovers. 

The first place I shop for groceries is my basement.  

• Like 1

I would still have lost my mind. I hope you got a decent reimbursement on the cost for their manufacturing error, and that adjusting it to work didn't void your warranty!

Nope, no reimbursement offered - they did say they would send a new handle - but it may take up to a month - kind of hard to use a freezer when you can't open it!

The adjusting that he did should not hurt the warranty as he had to bore out holes in the inside of the handle. (at least I HOPE it doesn't)

You are a good wife. He is a lucky man. If I could ever have had my wife simply document her healthcare expenses, I would have been in Heaven. 

I hope you don't plan to get rid of the chest. I have two refrigerators -- the one we bought with the house and the one I bought when the one that replaced the one we bought with the house crapped out -- and a chest freezer.

Thank you, Len - you made my day! :)

Even though it is over 30 years old - we are keeping the chest freezer. The upright, even though VERY large doesn't hold as much, and just trying to organize yesterday the temp went up to 60 degrees in it - they are NOT meant to be open very long from the looks of it!

Our monsoon has finally hit with a vengeance. Our monsoon haboob (dust storm) finally blasted through last night at super high winds taking out trees and rooftops with our travel at zero visibility. Not to mention taking out power on my block in the middle of the night. Still no power as of this morning. 80 degrees in here and having to use the internet on my phone.

When it rains, it pours ;)

• Like 1