GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

I'm okay with them being closed.  It could be interesting how Black Friday becomes going forward.  I would assume they'd post more online deals creating less foot traffic for their stores in future years if it is a success.  That all depends on how smooth it goes.

• Like 1

Inside source just told me Walmart will be closed on thanksgiving. Not sure if it’s all or just my local one

It's pretty public...

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2020/07/21/walmart-invests-428-million-more-in-associates-with-another-special-bonus-totaling-1-1-billion-in-special-bonuses-so-far-this-year?fbclid=IwAR2DNWTI_t4orsiopN_rL42TxkeRQrjKViSIPFxu8RGipsNZFqWq2tkC1kw&irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_Sg8TY-WYDxyOWecwUx0Mo38XUkiRdiUZUwCQSY0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_64406&clickid=Sg8TY-WYDxyOWecwUx0Mo38XUkiRdiUZUwCQSY0&sharedid=

I've always been of the opinion that I am fine with whatever works best for the retailers and employees.  As long as no one is punished for not working, I am OK with the stores being open.  I will never forget opening my paycheck for the first Thanksgiving I worked.  I could not even do the math.  I worked overnight Thanksgiving and into the Friday opening plus a Sunday.  It was a lot of money for an 21 year old student.

As I get older, I am starting to think, as a society, we need to work less and celebrate more.  This is step in the right direction.

• Like 2

I was supposed to be leaving for NC tomorrow to visit my mom, dad, brother and his family, but that trip was cancelled due to NC being considered a hot spot [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]...now they have to come here due to a death in the family...glad I still get to see them, but I wish it wasn't under these circumstances...
  • Like 2

I was supposed to be leaving for NC tomorrow to visit my mom, dad, brother and his family, but that trip was cancelled due to NC being considered a hot spot [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]...now they have to come here due to a death in the family...glad I still get to see them, but I wish it wasn't under these circumstances...

I'm so sorry!

Finishing the first week back to "in-person" working. Teachers start next week. Last week they decided to delay the start of school by 2 weeks, and to go fully virtual. So we have been finishing up making preparations to make sure every student has a learning device. We are fortunate in that we are already a one-to-one district, so that has helped tremendously. The biggest change this year is that the younger grades will now be able to take home the device that was previously only kept at school. But we had everything we need already, just to get it all distributed!

I am the inventory person, so I've been buried in lots of numbers!!

• Like 1

Don't you love it, when you spend so much time trying to figure something out, doing the same thing over and over, knowing that what you want is possible and it really shouldn't be that hard... only to wake up stupid early on a weekend morning with the solution clear as day?

And during that same "can't go back to sleep now" conversation with yourself, you also remember something that you meant to do late Friday afternoon. So I've been working for a couple hours, but those are a few things I don't have to worry about Monday morning when teachers come back and things will be crazy.

Funny thing is that one of the emails went to my boss, and he has already replied. :) So at least it's not just me!

• Like 2

A friend of mine had a procedure done yesterday, and I asked if there was anything I could fix for her, since currently visitors are discouraged. She asked for a plain and a rainbow challah. When I went shopping for the m&ms, I saw both milk chocolate and dark chocolate m&ms. I asked her husband which she would prefer, and dark chocolate it is.

My recipe makes 3 challot, so I asked my roommate what type of challah she would like, and she suggested a cinnamon swirl. I haven't done that type before, so that loaf was an experiment.

2020-07-25-21-32-44.jpg

I used a different challah recipe than the one from CHABAD I usually make this time. If my roommate's cinnamon swirl challah is any example, this one is much more tender than the other one.

2020-07-25-19-20-53.jpg

4-strand braid cinnamon swirl challah. The strands are rolled out in to a rectangle and then layered with cinnamon butter before rolling them up jelly roll style. Then they're braided.

I did four, as I found dividing the butter in to four equal parts to be easier than dividing in to five or six.

I had some butter leakage while baking, so the bottom baked up soggy, hence putting the cooling rack over newspaper. However, the caramel on the bottom firmed up as it cooled.

2020-07-25-22-05-17.jpg

The inside of the cinnamon swirl challah. I think the leakage may have occurred due to one of the jelly roll braids not staying sealed. But, the flavor is awesome.

2020-07-25-19-21-26.jpg

5-strand braid plain challah.

2020-07-25-19-21-59.jpg

6-strand braid rainbow challah. It's been awhile since I've done 6-strand braiding; looks like I need to practice it a bit more.

• Like 5

Just back from vacation and i'm not feeling this Monday either!!  We went out west and saw the wild west - South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, & Montana.  Went to all the big things - Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Teton, & Glacier - all beautiful, really like Teton & Glacier.  There are some amazing views there and some amazing wildlife!  Then saw a lot of unusual things - Battle of Little Bighorn, Craters of the Moon, ghost towns and mining towns!  Wonderful trip!

• Like 3

My work furlough is suppose to end this week and I go back Monday. I haven’t heard from anyone. I call and leave several messages for HR and today he finally calls me back to say he doesn’t know when or if I’ll be back. I was told to just wait n he will call me when he knows something. Could be this week or in a few weeks. I knew corporate came in and fired a lot of upper class and are trying to reconfigure things but I hate not knowing. Without the extra 600 I don’t make enough to pay bills. I don’t know if I should wait it out as I make decent money there or just start my job hunt.

I call and leave several messages for HR and today he finally calls me back to say he doesn’t know when or if I’ll be back. I was told to just wait n he will call me when he knows something. Could be this week or in a few weeks.

My sister used to work in HR.  She always warned me that HR works for the company not the employees.  Don't trust them.  If you are part of a union, ask your steward what is going on.  If not, hope for the best and plan for the worst.  Consider looking for another job.  It's a good idea to do that when you are still financially comfortable.

Some good vibes sent my way requested around 1:00 pm PST as I'm put under to go through biopsies of yet two more different areas. Hoping they come back clean, but that answers to why I had symptoms once several months ago are explained. Right now we're fishing in the dark.

I don't know if I'll be allowed my phone in preop or recovery; usually my roommate has been with me prior to my procedures and holds on to my phone once they put me out. But due to visitor restrictions this time, I don't know if I'll be allowed my phone. So, if not, I'll see y'all on the flip side.

• Like 3

Some good vibes sent my way requested around 1:00 pm PST as I'm put under to go through biopsies of yet two more different areas. Hoping they come back clean, but that answers to why I had symptoms once several months ago are explained. Right now we're fishing in the dark.

I don't know if I'll be allowed my phone in preop or recovery; usually my roommate has been with me prior to my procedures and holds on to my phone once they put me out. But due to visitor restrictions this time, I don't know if I'll be allowed my phone. So, if not, I'll see y'all on the flip side.

Got home about 7:30 pm PST. OR ran two and a half hours behind, so although I was taken back to preop pretty much as soon as I checked in at 11 am, I wasn't brought back to the OR until 3:30 instead of 1 pm. Recovery was a little difficult coming out of it, so took about 2 hours, rather than 1. But I'm home now and finally having something to eat, other than the apple sauce and graham crackers I had in recovery.

Thanks for the good thoughts and light sent my way!

• Like 7

Just back from vacation and i'm not feeling this Monday either!! We went out west and saw the wild west - South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, & Montana. Went to all the big things - Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Teton, & Glacier - all beautiful, really like Teton & Glacier. There are some amazing views there and some amazing wildlife! Then saw a lot of unusual things - Battle of Little Bighorn, Craters of the Moon, ghost towns and mining towns! Wonderful trip!

We just got back from out west too but we went to Oregon where I’m originally from. It was amazing to get away for some fresh scenery and show a couple of my kids where I grew up and do the things I grew up doing with them.

• Like 1

Hey, Brad, how about some GottaDeal face masks this year. You know, for safe shopping! High visibility, too.

Awesome idea!

They would need to be effective ones for me to feel safe using them, though. Most of the decorative ones I've seen don't measure up to my safety standards.

At least double layer cotton, with either a pocket for inserting a blue shop towel filter, or sewn in washable interfacing, is preferred.

My mask maker, Susan's Sewing,Embroidery, and Digitizing on Facebook has done bulk orders. I'm uncertain whether she can get custom printed material with the GottaDeal logo, though. You would have to discuss that with her.

These are bulk masks she made for the military. I prefer the sculpted form fitting masks, but sizes need to be specified for those.

FB-IMG-1593491758654.jpg

If the link doesn't work, you can do a search on Facebook for the page, select the one with the profile picture which says "bubby."

Edited by Gator Pam

As long as each comes with a t-shirt!

Awesome idea!

They would need to be effective ones for me to feel safe using them, though. Most of the decorative ones I've seen don't measure up to my safety standards.

At least double layer cotton, with either a pocket for inserting a blue shop towel filter, or sewn in washable interfacing, is preferred.

My mask maker, Susan's Sewing,Embroidery, and Digitizing on Facebook has done bulk orders. I'm uncertain whether she can get custom printed material with the GottaDeal logo, though. You would have to discuss that with her.

These are bulk masks she made for the military. I prefer the sculpted form fitting masks, but sizes need to be specified for those.

FB-IMG-1593491758654.jpg

If the link doesn't work, you can do a search on Facebook for the page, select the one with the profile picture which says "bubby."

• Like 2

Been slowly getting information about the new school year.  They have the option of face to face or join from home via internet.   My daughter is at camp now but she is not going to be thrilled wih how things are shaping up.  

Hey, Brad, how about some GottaDeal face masks this year. You know, for safe shopping! High visibility, too.

Don't think I haven't been thinking about it. Even got some custom fabric samples in:

63VUbtF.jpg

Like Gator Pam said, the main thing that would keep me from doing them is that everyone has their own favorite style/size/material and so it's tough to have a universal style that will work for everyone, and I don't want them to just sit in a drawer because people don't like wearing them. I have a big stack of various masks myself that I bought that didn't work for me.

So I'll probably just have a very small quantity made in a couple sizes and those who want them can get one and that'll be it.

As long as each comes with a t-shirt!

No t-shirts this year (at least not new designs). This isn't going to be a "real" Black Friday and so it's not really something I want to celebrate with a shirt. Instead I'm going to do something else involving "vintage" shirts and other merch from my archives (of which I have plenty). More on that in about a month.

• Like 9