GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Happy June! 

Still working from home - my colleagues and I have decided we’re going to keep working from home until a vaccine is found or effective treatment for this virus.  This means I need to make some effort towards moving my office to the main floor of our house.  I need more sunlight!  On nicer days I take the MacBook out to the patio and watch the boys swim while I work, but it would be nice to see more sunlight all the time.  I’m just not incredibly motivated to start moving stuff around right now. Lol

The boys (8 and 10) have finished school for the year and now we are waiting (not-so) patiently for our local water park to open up. I did get word yesterday that one of their hockey camps will start next week, and the day camp we use in summer is opening next week as well.  My little guy and I are going to another state for a goalie camp later this month, and I’m still trying to find some other camps that will happen to replace the ones we registered for that have been canceled.  Not sure about vacation this year, but we’ll be fine either way.  

• Like 1

Hello!  Happy June!  So ready for warm weather now, just sad that there are no water parks open yet close to me.  We love going to water parks in the summer and the pools, but sadly it looks like July before anything opens.  Still working from home for now.  Have a safe one!

• Like 1

All bow down and welcome the King of HEAT!!!!   I am so done with it already. Can I get an in between season. My spring is summer and summer is Hades. Ah well..... Im here and still surviving hoping all of you are doing the same. This BF is going to be one for the record books. Not sure what will be in store for us but rain, sleet, or snow didn't stop us and neither will this even if I have a Lysol spray mist machine around me in the store - LOL 

• Like 2

Made it to June... A bittersweet month for me. 12th will mark 14 years since my mom passed. The 16th would have been her 70th birthday...No race at MIS (and associated time with my track family) to help distract me this year. In between those two dates, the mom to one of my nearest and dearest “track family” members celebrates her birthday (14th). She’s an awesome lady, so that’s something to look forward to.

Bummed that all of the virus stuff has put the kibosh on a planned trip to Cedar Point with a fellow coaster-loving buddy that would’ve been happening later this week (his bday is this Friday - we were going to party it up screaming our heads off lol). We’re going to reschedule but obviously no idea when yet.

On the positive side, while work from home isn’t ideal for me, I know I will not regret for even a moment all of the extra time I’ve gotten to spend with my precious kitties. At 12 and 7, neither is a kitten anymore and, while a pet parent always hopes we have many, many years with our furbabies, time sneaks by in a flash. As I write this, my girl (12) is curled up next to me for her afternoon nap. The boy (7) is on his “scratcha-lounger” a few feet away, also sleeping. [emoji170][emoji170][emoji170]

263ab2d608103c615cbf0adefd568447.jpg

bba77f83f33f1648878b0af85c091922.jpg

The birds at my feeder also bring joy. Fun to see them enjoying the food I put out, more fun to shoot the squirrel that visits with my $0.50 water gun. Got him right in the butt one day. The look on his face as he whipped around and took off had me crying I was laughing so hard. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I just wish I could’ve caught it on video to share!!!

I hope and pray all are staying safe and healthy. Love my GDer family! [emoji4]

• Like 8

It's June and all the days are blending together.  Starting to get out of the endless cycle of virus news and now protesting is filling up the airwaves.  I'm not getting political on here, but its good to find a place like this that you can escape all that for a bit and enjoy a happy place with other members.  I may not post as much anymore, but I've always admired the peacefulness of the site and wish there were more like it on the interwebs.  Hope everyone has a good month as we inch closer to Black Friday, if many businesses even make it until then.

• Like 7

Happy June everyone.  Sorry I'm late, but I was busy severing ties with Walmart.  

No one was more excited about Walmart coming to Seabrook New Hampshire than me.  Finally, a REAL store with everyday low prices on everything I might want!  When Home Depot and Walmart replaced Service Merchandise and Ames in Plaistow New Hampshire, I thought I died and went to heaven.  After three decades of steady decline, Walmart is no longer a company with which I want to do business.

Nothing sudden, really.  Prices never really met expectations.  When Amazon came along, Walmart ceded the 'everyday low prices' crown.  The staff is HORRIBLE.  They do not know their products and do not care about their customers -- they don't have customers. 

When I was in school, I worked at a department store.  The first thing the manager said to me was, "If a customer asks you for help finding something, take him to the item or take him to someone who will.  Never let that guy out of the store without buying what he is looking for.  That is how we get paid."  The last three times I shopped at Walmart, I left without buying what I was looking for.

Most recently, I bought some body wash for my kid.  It was not available in store or for pickup, so I ordered online.  When the package FINALLY arrived (>2 days promised), the inside of the boxes were soiled and the bottles were slick with soap.  It looked like my product was too close to damaged product.  I cleaned off the bottles, disposed of the soiled packaging, and...noticed it wasn't even what I ordered.  Wrong scent.  I checked my order to make sure I had selected the right product.  I had, so I began the process of returning the product.  Piece of cake except that I had no chance to tell them what was wrong or re-order the items, "We'll process your refund after the items are dropped off at any Walmart store by Jun 26, 2020. Please show the barcode below to a customer service associate."  This morning I arrived at Walmart only to find a LONG line of socially distanced customers at the service desk.  After an unreasonable wait, a young manager looking guy (tie and a clipboard) helped a second cashier set up her drawer.  I heard him say, "We ought to turn this sign around so people can actually read it."  Everyone laughed.  He did.  I did.  It included a long list of things they would not take as returns.  I loosely translated the list as 'everything' so I got his attention.  I explained my dilemma and showed him the directive.  He shrugged his shoulders, "Can't help you.  Have a nice day."  When I got home, I tried to contact Walmart again.  One hour wait for chat and half an hour to get a call, so I chose the phone call.  A very nice young lady named Debra assured my she felt my pain, but offered no more than to send me a label so I could send the items back.  On my own for the re-order.  I thought about that manager as Debra let me get off the call without re-ordering the right product.  Of course, no label was ever sent.  

The previous time I left Walmart without what I came for was a few months back.  I found what I wanted and headed to the cash registers.  Just a couple open and the lines were long, so I headed to the self-checkout.  The register was unresponsive as I scanned my single item, so I tried again.  Two items rang up, so I cancelled the item.  This triggered an alert.  As I waited for assistance, I noticed my cash register had a red flashing light above.  As I looked around, I noticed ALL the self-checkout registers had red lights.  I caught the attention of a woman who was standing among the self-checkout registers.  She looked at me, looked at the red light, then turned around.  I walked out.

My pre-previous Walmart failure was to pick up an item ordered online.  After waiting nearly an hour for someone to arrive at the pickup counter and waiting another hour for all the others to be served, I was told my item was shipped to another store.  I could either pick it up there or wait for it to arrive at my store.  I left.

I'll probably end up keeping the body wash.  I have already wasted too much time trying to deal with 'The People of Walmart'.  I won't waste any more time with Walmart.

When we start thinking about Black Friday, I won't be thinking of Walmart.

• Like 6

I’ve noticed this trend myself as the years go by. In the past, it seemed like there was an employee around every corner waiting to ask me if I was finding everything I needed. Now you can hardly locate anyone and if you do, you feel like a jerk for asking a question, like you’re ruining their day by asking for help. I get it; staffing gets cut and people likely miss work now more than ever, so those who are there are bogged down with extra work. The company I work for is just as lousy, doing away with jobs and redistributing their work to people who already have enough to do. And of course, offering no pay increase to do it. :(

I’m afraid I’ve gotten old enough to now have my version of “the good old days”. Once in a while I’ll have an interaction that really stands out because the person is really kind and seems to genuinely want to solve my issue. But those are few and far between these days. I really miss the people-are-mostly-nice days. 

I hope everyone has a good June. I hope that we come out of the other side of this year in a better place. 

• Like 4

Happy June, everyone!

I can’t believe it’s June already. Summer is here and we’ve been having a nice one so far.

Been working from home since mid-March and I can’t seem to keep track of what day it is. I imagine I will be going back to the office in the next few weeks. It’s been nice being home with hubs, who is retired, and the pup.

Our governor has reopened the state, with guidance from our chief medical officer, moving us from Phase 2 to Phase 4. Yay! Our mayor unfortunately is dragging his feet and we are at Phase 3 in Anchorage. I wish he would stop playing politics and trying to one-up the governor. Our state’s cases are, I believe, the lowest. There haven’t been any spikes as we’ve reopened.

The 14-day quarantine if you fly into Alaska has is being lifted starting Saturday. Anyone flying in has to provide proof they are COVID-19 negative and can move about freely and enjoy our beautiful state. Working in the tourism industry, it has been devastating. I miss seeing all of the visitors having a wonderful time. I so want normal again.

Edited by cinder
  • Like 4