GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Celebrated another trip around the sun alone on Tuesday. Oof. Not how I was hoping to spend my birthday this year but such is life.

Ordered takeout from my favorite local BBQ place for dinner that night, tried not to dwell on the “alone” part as much.

Still healthy, though, so I am thankful for that.

Happy birthday!! <virtual hugs>

Celebrated another trip around the sun alone on Tuesday. Oof. Not how I was hoping to spend my birthday this year but such is life.

Ordered takeout from my favorite local BBQ place for dinner that night, tried not to dwell on the “alone” part as much.

:bday3: Happy birthday! :bday3:   Taurus?  My 58th is Friday.  I'm working.  I guess that is something of a celebration.

Got up late today :gdsleep3:, made eggs benedict :1cook: and a bloody mary :beer:.  Cleaned up and took a five hour nap :gdsleep3: .  (Practicing for Friday :gd_partyu)

• Like 1

:bday3: Happy birthday! :bday3: Taurus? My 58th is Friday. I'm working. I guess that is something of a celebration.

Got up late today :gdsleep3:, made eggs benedict :1cook: and a bloody mary :beer:. Cleaned up and took a five hour nap :gdsleep3: . (Practicing for Friday :gd_partyu)

Aries, barely. Not that I really pay attention to that stuff much, generally speaking. lol Happy early birthday!

Taking some essentials to a friend with limited access to them this afternoon. His transportation is... less than reliable... over any distance past about 15-20 miles and he pretty much lives in the middle of nowhere by himself, so... Since we both live solo (thus minimizing virus exposure risk), I help him out by bringing him a few things every couple weeks since I live in the middle of everything, by comparison, so I can find stuff a bit more easily.

• Like 1

Stepped on the scale since pre-Passover. Only up 10 lbs., but considering I've been stalled over a year I'm not super pleased. Still, it could have been worse.

Posting this photo of me at my highest and at my stalled weight, to hold myself accountable.

2020-03-29-12-27-32.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, this stay at home stuff is hard on the body; I hadn't made cinnamon rolls for over two years but I've made them twice now since the stay at home orders.  

On a more positive note we started working at our community garden plot today; it was good to do a little more moving.

• Like 2

Ya weather is CRAZY here. We hit mid 70s a week or so again then the next day it snowed. End of last week we had 60s one day then a snow storm for 2 days. This week it was decent out now it’s stupid cold again. I think Mother Nature done lost her mind.
  • Like 2

Ya weather is CRAZY here. We hit mid 70s a week or so again then the next day it snowed. End of last week we had 60s one day then a snow storm for 2 days. This week it was decent out now it’s stupid cold again. I think Mother Nature done lost her mind

I personally think she's menopausal. hot, cold, sweet, grumpy. all in 5 seconds flat!!

Been there ,done that and have a boatload of the t-shirts, all sizes, because menopause likes to mess with you just like Mother Nature!

I know it is not politically correct,but I just don't give a HOOT! At least not in this second, wait a few it might change...lol

• Like 4

I went to work today.  On the way in, I got a call from a guy who needed my help as soon as I got in.  I spent four hours solving problems not related to my job.  You guys are probably not aware of the fact that I am a social butterfly, but I had well wishers crowding my office for another two hours.  In the end, I got about an hour of work in.  Tomorrow is another day.

• Like 2

I’m in week 5 of working remotely from home and the days kind of just blur together. I miss seeing people. As much as I love my husband what I would give to see another persons face right about now.

I see faces constantly in video meetings, but getting out of the house to work would be nice. Someday.

• Like 1

So it might be bad to say, but I'm okay being in and not seeing anyone else. We had a handful of video meetings the first couple weeks, got to see the bosses' houses, but now we are just on auto pilot, and no meetings for me since April 1.

The new end of the school year is in 3 weeks, 1 week earlier than planned. But we still have to now make arrangements for students and teachers to come up and retrieve personal things, middle and high students to return textbooks, and seniors to return chromebooks. I'm not sure if I'll have to go into the office while that is being done. But I am anxious to know what the plan is and when we will be physically back.

(Partly because I colored my hair and I need about a week's notice to get it washed out!!)

New teachers start July 20, and as long I'm back by about July 1st, I can get things ready for that. And my feelings won't be hurt if it isn't until then.

Meanwhile though, my state starting opening today... we'll see how that goes. I've got all my fingers crossed, and still staying in! My poor mama though, she wants to go out so bad, and wants us to come to Sunday dinner. This Sunday is my son's birthday, and she really wants us to come over. But our shelter in place doesn't end until April 30, for for sick and elderly it is May 13th, so she can't have any visitors. (She's in denial though that she falls into that category!)

• Like 2

Happy belated Birthday!

:bday3: Happy birthday! :bday3: Taurus? My 58th is Friday. I'm working. I guess that is something of a celebration.

Got up late today :gdsleep3:, made eggs benedict :1cook: and a bloody mary :beer:. Cleaned up and took a five hour nap :gdsleep3: . (Practicing for Friday :gd_partyu)

Happy Birthday!!!
  • Like 2

Walked to the grocery store this morning.  The round trip is about six miles.  It was nice...well, the walk to the store was nice.

I tried to get in the wrong door because I walked behind the sign that said the door was closed and that I should use the other entrance.  The sign was on the back of a sign that said 'did you remember your reusable bag?'  Irony, no?  No shortage of anything -- including customers.  I had been avoiding this store because they had trouble replenishing after the hoarders retreated.  Their deli is closed until further notice and their baked goods are all pre-packaged.  YET, produce is just laying there being handled by the walking dead and sneezed on and all such things.  IMHO, fresh produce is the biggest risk in grocery stores.  No one else seems to care.

They had lots of good stuff.  I ended up getting about ten pounds of ribeye and a couple pounds of broccoli.  Could not resist the corn on the cob and a couple perfect baking potatoes.  Anyway, I ended up doing the return trip with about 20# of food.  20# gets heavy after the first mile.  It's a burden for three miles.  I think there might be an Olympic event in this.  I'm thinking Pandemic Games I.

Bottom line?  Needed a nap when I got home.

I heard from a lot of people last week (it was my birthday).  Almost every single person believes they and/or their family contracted the Coronavirus.  I call one hypochondriac (apparently misdiagnosed as bronchitis) at work Covid Kevin and another Germy George.  The other interesting commonality is that everyone, while concerned for others, is enjoying their vacation from the rat race.  My oldest works for a startup in Boston.  He is out of flour and concerned about the availability of TP, but has been working out of his home nearly two months.  The CEO of the startup was very proactive because he was concerned a widespread sickness could severely impact success.  The company is very pleased with the change is considering closing or downsizing their Boston office.  From a couple emails...

• "We have all been doing well so far during the crisis.  Five adults in the house and our toilet paper supply remains solid.  My daughter became unemployed last week, but is finding between regular unemployment and the $600 supplement she may be better off at least through July.  The two boys are still able to work with some reduction to their earnings, but the impact is minimal.  My wife will collect her first social security check next month and is quickly moving toward full retirement. All considered, we have nothing to complain about and I’ve been feeling very fortunate with our current situation."
  • "My work insisted I be in the office (Irvine CA). Now I'm WFH in San Diego meaning I save $100 per week, plus much easier to walk to my  home office.  So I'm enjoying it some ways also."

Must suck being isolated in San Diego. 

One consequence of business downturn for my company is that long service employees were offered a VRIP (voluntary reduction in personnel, I think).  I know three guys who were planning to retire this summer who were just handed a year's pay.  And two others who had been pondering retirement who jumped on the opportunity.  In addition to the severance package, they qualify for 'enhanced unemployment benefits' and a supplement to their pension.  All smiles.  

My sister is getting checks from every direction.  Her daughter got a refund from her college.  Her husband's small business got a chunk of that trillion dollars.

I'm sure some people are suffering and God knows my 401k had suffered, but it seems like a lot of people are making lemonade.

I am hoping a SERO (Special Early Retirement Option -- I know that one by heart) is in my future.  Two years from pension eligibility, I am a prime target for such an offer.  Start collecting full pension immediately, unemployment too, and that supplement.  And maybe take a job somewhere else.  One can dream.

Meanwhile, my allergies are right on schedule.  Symptoms I worked through for ten years might see me denied access to work.  I am lying at the check point and working hard to get everything done that requires my presence, but, at some point, I have been warned that I will be denied access.  Crazy, huh?  I don't have a primary care physician.  I have used our infirmary for healthcare for decades.  They diagnosed my allergies.  Yet, I may be denied access just because I sneeze, cough, and blow my nose due to allergies.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 2