GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

I have been working from home and playing teacher to a high schooler, middle schooler, and an elementary aged kid for two weeks now. I look forward to the weekend now more than ever! Trying to set up a routine for everyone has been the hardest part and my older two are both missing their sports and other activities.

I’m currently online shopping for a new patio set; I’ve been wanting a new one and this is the perfect time to get it [emoji1474]

• Like 2

Working from home but it is definitely NOT ideal for me. Living by myself, the almost nonexistent human contact is wearing on me pretty badly now that I’m halfway through my third week of this. Hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel soon. As an April baby, that would be the best gift I can think of right now... Praying all are staying healthy and safe. [emoji120]
  • Like 7

Finally have a day off with no rain so I've been out in my flower beds cleaning them up.  I have to do a little at a time due to a bad back but the weather was perfect for pulling weeds, even if my back screamed at me.  LOL.  It felt good to get some vitamin D for awhile and not think about work and COVID-19 tests and PPE and cutting hours, etc.  The life of a healthcare worker is both rewarding and hell right now.  If you are the praying type, please continue to do so.  This virus is no joke and in my state, people my age and younger (not 65+) are bearing the brunt and are very very ill and even dying.  Anyway, enough of that here on this thread. 

Happy April!!.  I am trying to make my house feel like normal so I've decorated for Easter both indoors and out.  I can't wait to get a few pots of flowers planted as well.  

• Like 4

Happy April!  Halfway to Black Friday 2020...looking forward to the Staples ad ;-)

I'd like to share my impressions of a purchase I made last November.  

One of my BF goals was to replace my desktop computer.  When I purchased the old box, I was shopping for something which would be endlessly upgradable with plenty of room in the case for storage.  In the beginning, that PC was mostly powered off and storage was for files and backups of files.  By the end, it was an on-all-day PC hosting a Plex server and other household functions.  My gaming had become so pedestrian that it was hard to rationalize a Radeon HD 7950 and 750w PSU.  When its disk started to fail, I decided to replace the PC with a computer better suited to my current situation -- still upgradable, much faster, more energy efficient, and CHEAP (like me).

While I was shopping for parts for this perfect computer, Black Friday happened.  Staples was selling the HP Pavilion 590-p0066 for much less than it would cost me to piece together a comparable computer.  Just two weeks before Black Friday, they ran a promotion on the HP Pavilion 590-p0050.  I bought one.  What I liked about the p0050...

• 2.8GHz Intel i5-8400 6-core processor (65w) upgradable to (at least) an i7 in the same family
  • 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
  • 1TB 7200 rpm mechanical drive + 16GB Intel Optane Memory
  • 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.2 technologies
  • DVD-Writer
  • Use 2 x USB 2.0, 6 x USB 3.1, and 1 x USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 ports
  • PCIe x16 socket, PCIe x1 socket, M.2 socket 1 2230 type for WLAN, M.2 socket 3 2280 type for SSD
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • Built-in HDMI and VGA out ports
  • Dimensions: 13.3"H x 6.69"W x 10.9"D
  • 310w Power Supply
  • H370 System Board
  • I did not have to wait in line on BF!

I added RAM so that the system had 16GB of RAM plus 16GB of Intel Optane Memory.  This PC starts quickly, loads apps fast, and does not bog down when I have (leave) many apps open.  I added a GTX 1650 OC 4GB video accelerator for games and added video outputs.  Very easy upgrades since the 1650 is powered by the PCI slot only.  

If you are looking for an inexpensive, powerful, and expandible desktop, I give these Pavillions two thumbs up.

Happy shopping!

• Like 4

Well here’s to praying April is better than March was. Our DD left with our DGD and we haven’t been able to see her now for 3.5 weeks. Then while heartbroken because of that the virus took off like a wildfire. Keeping you all in my prayers. Please add us to your lists also.
  • Like 2

Happy (?) April! Hopefully April is a somewhat more normal month than March was, but that is doubtful since Governor DeWine issued the no contact order to continue through May 1 for Ohio. We can only hope that will slow this crazy virus down. At least we're able to go outside, as long as the weather starts to cooperate. On the bright side, with the rain we had this past weekend, the grass is sure turning a pretty, spring shade of green.

• Like 2

Working from home but it is definitely NOT ideal for me. Living by myself, the almost nonexistent human contact is wearing on me pretty badly now that I’m halfway through my third week of this. Hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel soon. As an April baby, that would be the best gift I can think of right now... Praying all are staying healthy and safe. [emoji120]

We are talking about doing an online Cards Against Humanity Zoom Meeting get together with friends. No social life sucks.

• Like 1

Happy April everyone! Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe in these challenging times.

Everyone here is good (knock on wood)! Staying indoors and enjoying a break from all our normal running around.

Our little dog killed a baby bunny and proceeded to carry it though the house yesterday! Worried Easter bunny may skip us this year, lololl!!

• Like 5

Our little dog killed a baby bunny and proceeded to carry it though the house yesterday! Worried Easter bunny may skip us this year, lololl!!

Oh gosh!!!  That made me LOL!!!  Funny but not funny.  Bunnies are so cute and they are everywhere in my neighborhood right now.  I have to be verwy verwy careful in the early mornings when I go to work so I don't run over one.  I had one snuggled up under one of my azalea plants a few weeks ago.  I didn't know it was there so when I took a step into the flower bed it darted out and scared the you now what out of me!  LOL.  

• Like 3

We have now been informed we can be fine $1,000 for breaking the stay at home order and the social distancing orders in Michigan.

The wording points more towards Businesses. There is nothing that says we can’t go out, it just says no big gatherings. If you’re caught at that then they can fine you.
  • Like 1

Yall are making me feel like a slacker.  I need to paint as well but can't get rid of the doom and gloom feeling I've been saddled with for the past few weeks.  I am grateful though, my family is safe and sound. Hope you all stay well and have a blessed Palm sunday.

• Like 2

Yall are making me feel like a slacker. I need to paint as well but can't get rid of the doom and gloom feeling I've been saddled with for the past few weeks. I am grateful though, my family is safe and sound. Hope you all stay well and have a blessed Palm sunday.

Oh I understand! We got all the stuff for paint, and 4 days later we prepped the bedroom and hallway, then painted the room.

It's now been 2 weeks, hall isn't painted, and nothing has been placed back on the wall in the bedroom. And we still have 5 rooms and a hall left to go!

The more time that is added, the less motivated we get. :(

• Like 2

Today Washington's Governor announced our schools will finish out the school year online. While I believe this is the wisest decision, as a classified substitute for two districts (meaning I do office support work, not instruction) there has been no jobs for me since mid-March. I do not know if the districts have told their administrative personnel that they couldn't have time off during this time, even for things like doctors appointments, or if they are allowing them time off without bringing in a substitute.

I am considering looking for a temporary position to carry me throughout the summer. But, being immunocompromised, I have no idea what type of temporary position I can even be qualified for in these times. I guess my best bet will be to wait and see what the school districts do. But as a paycheck to paycheck worker, this is very concerning.

Today Washington's Governor announced our schools will finish out the school year online. While I believe this is the wisest decision, as a classified substitute for two districts (meaning I do office support work, not instruction) there has been no jobs for me since mid-March. I do not know if the districts have told their administrative personnel that they couldn't have time off during this time, even for things like doctors appointments, or if they are allowing them time off without bringing in a substitute.

I am considering looking for a temporary position to carry me throughout the summer. But, being immunocompromised, I have no idea what type of temporary position I can even be qualified for in these times. I guess my best bet will be to wait and see what the school districts do. But as a paycheck to paycheck worker, this is very concerning.

You should qualify for unemployment and if you get the extra bump there giving that might tied you over until everything is back running.

You should qualify for unemployment and if you get the extra bump there giving that might tied you over until everything is back running.

Currently, to claim Unemployment in Washington State, one had to have worked 680 hours in the past 18 months. Between the double mastectomy in the summer of 2018, the DIEP FLAP reconstructive surgery in January of 2019, and the recovery time from both, I did not work that much. I have been on track to exceed that with what I have worked since the school year started in September, but only worked one day last month before the buildings shut down.

I did reach out to the substitute coordinator for one of the districts, asking about subbing in the administrative offices until next September, and she confirmed that everyone is working from home, so there currently won't be any office work. Supposedly, requirements for Unemployment are going to be changed, but I haven't seen that happening as yet. I am keeping my eyes on it, though.

Edited by Gator Pam

Can you imagine if this virus hit in November? What would they do about Black Friday?! I know a lot of people have been doing a lot of shopping online on that day anyway, but can you imagine trying to get stuff online if everyone was doing their shopping online that day?

• Like 2