GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

I really wanted to sleep in this morning and blame it on forgetting to change my clocks.  Another way today's technology is ruining lives.   :gdmornincoffee:

Had a good weekend though. My dil is pregnant and her mother and I got to reveal the gender on Saturday.  We're having another boy! (that'll be 4 boys, 1 girl, for those of you keeping score :)).

• Like 5

Yep.

I'm a per diem classified substitute for two school districts in King County, WA. As such, I have no sick leave, no vacation leave, and no benefits. It was just announced all schools in King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties are closed until at least April 24th. While FTE of the district should receive some sort of income to see them through this, as,s per diem substitute I am going to be without pay this whole time.

I think maybe I'll look in to working for the Census, although I have no idea how that's going to be done if people don't answer the door.

My head literally hurts from all the COVID-19 news that has spiraled out of control today.  My state now has 8 presumptive positive cases (waiting on confirmation from the CDC) and schools are closing, high school sports events cancelled, concerts cancelled, NHL, MLB, NBA, NCAA basketball all cancelled or suspended.  Toilet paper is non-existent, disinfectant wipes and spray as well.  The soup, pasta, rice and canned vegetable aisles in my Walmart was decimated today.  I’m in the healthcare field so there is no working from home for me to self-quarantine.  I must report unless I fall ill.  Ugh.  I know there are tons more issues surrounding this outbreak but March Madness is my favorite sports event ever so I’m so sad there will be no bracket challenge, no nothing.  

Take precautions as best you can and stay healthy everyone!  

• Like 5

Probably going to make one last Walmart/supermarket run for a couple weeks this morning.  Hopefully it won't be too crowded, and luckily I only need a few things.  Unfortunately once of those items is toilet paper, so I hope I can find some.  Being in a rural location, I expect at worst I can find some at Dollar General that should hold me over until the hysteria dies down.

Hope everyone is safe, and hopefully things will get better soon.

• Like 4

All Wisconsin K-12 schools will be closed.  My district had already announced they were closing for 2 weeks so now with the governor's declaration and Spring Break, we won't have school for a month.  WOWZA.  Looking at virtual education, have a plan in place for providing meals for the free/reduced lunch kids, but still SOOOOO much to think about!

• Like 2

Yesterday, many school districts announced they will be shut down for another 2 weeks.  DD is attending a charter school, which also announced they will shut down for 2 weeks.  This is the end of Spring Break, so DD will be home for a total of 3 weeks for this year's Spring Break.  Luckily, as technology has progressed, the teachers have been tasked with changing up their lesson plans to transition to online only.  A cable company in the area has also volunteered to give free internet access to any family who has a child in school (K-12 or college). New accounts only, though. 

• Like 3

We got the announcement yesterday that this upcoming Wednesday will be the last day of school for 2 and 1/2 weeks for the whole state - our kid's have spring break the next week - so 3 and 1/2 weeks with no school - the parents are scrambling trying to figure out what to do!

Both of my daughters work full time, one hopes that her company will let her work from home, but the other is a manager of a restaurant - so she is really in a bind!

What a mess! :(

On the lighter side...

20200314093814x250x250.jpg

• Like 2

Luckily, as technology has progressed, the teachers have been tasked with changing up their lesson plans to transition to online only.  A cable company in the area has also volunteered to give free internet access to any family who has a child in school (K-12 or college). New accounts only, though.

Even though it is for new accounts only, that is an amazing offer by the cable company. Our schools are currently closed for six weeks, and I have not heard of any similar offer here in the Pacific Northwet.
  • Like 3

We got the announcement yesterday that this upcoming Wednesday will be the last day of school for 2 and 1/2 weeks for the whole state - our kid's have spring break the next week - so 3 and 1/2 weeks with no school - the parents are scrambling trying to figure out what to do!

Both of my daughters work full time, one hopes that her company will let her work from home, but the other is a manager of a restaurant - so she is really in a bind!

What a mess! :(

On the lighter side...

20200314093814x250x250.jpg

Me, my husband, and son will all be working from home for the next 2-3 weeks. Its going to be a little challenging finding things to do for that long. Especially for my son whose job it is to fix kids computers when they bring them up to him.

My husband and I support those folks in the schools that fix things, but we also do some backend things. I figure I have about 2 days worth of work I can do right now.

Youngest is in college, so he'll be home for the next 3 weeks, and he'll have some online classes.

I've read that the cable companies in my area are offering 60 days of free internet for low income families. So that is nice. And our school system is providing lunch and breakfast for students for 2 weeks on a drive up basis.

Happy Pi Day! My dad and I sent each other pictures this morning of our calculator after we calculated pi. We are such nerds. :)

• Like 1

Business as usual for me.  I had self quarantined for a few weeks when my office was sick -- just your standard flu virus -- and boycotted my niece's birthday party after her family was sick.  I had been planning a visit to upstate New York and 1) did not want to make the 9 hour round trip sick, or 2) be denied access once I got there.  That was Wednesday.  Friday I hosted customers at our facility.  Now I don't care if I get sick.  I've been to three grocery stores.  While most shelves were pretty bare Friday and lightly stocked this morning, I had no problem shopping my list and people were pretty social -- no masks or other protective gear.  I also got my tires rotated.  They put a wrapper on my steering wheel.  Of course they left the 'snot spot' (middle of the steering wheel) unprotected.

Toilet paper seems to be the main target of hoarders.  I heard there was a fight over TP in one store that landed eleven in jail.  I have plenty -- Charmin Ultra Soft -- at $10 per roll (one roll = five) ;-)

I have to tip my hat to the local merchants.  They are replenishing the shelves very quickly, have moved things people hoard to the front, limited purchases of shortage items, and not gouged at all.

Think I'll watch The Stand tonight...

https://youtu.be/0e64sPHWnsY

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

Friday the 13th was the last day of school for 3 weeks for our school district, not to return till at least April 6. However, from what I hear, the governor of Ohio is considering closing all schools for the remainder of the school year. So much I could say on the subject of the coronavirus, but It'd take all day so I'll refrain. Hope everyone is doing well.

• Like 2

Well, I am alive......Well until I run out of meat. All of my grocery stores are completely out of produce,meat and can goods. The crazy thing is that my area is completely okay. Only 19 presumptive cases and out of the 19 only 7 validated for the entire state. So why can I not buy groceries ? Everything ha  been cancelled, all schools was closed as of 5pm yesterday evening ( how are you going to tell people on a Sunday evening to find somewhere for a million kids to go by 8am the next morning)......I digress this panic is unbelievable. Be safe but not crazy. 

• Like 3

Just five days since my previous post.  I have to say that I have been impressed with some of the measures taken to manage this virus.  I feel like some people (Homeland Security?) have been preparing for some kind of pandemic and that the federal response has been a 'live fire' test of these plans.

Many feel that the China travel ban dramatically limited the spread of COVID19.  Count me among them.  I would also expect that border security has helped a lot.  I can't find a story online, but I heard on the radio that recently retired doctors are being reinstated to help combat the virus.  I thought that was brilliant.  Today I heard that the president will use idled cruise ships as floating hospitals.  Beyond brilliant.

Lots of businesses (including mine) are encouraging people to work from home as much as possible.  My company has been working tirelessly to reduce human density and mobility while continuously washing EVERYTHING.  I am hearing this is common.  A lot of businesses have communicated their response to me.  Very sensible.  A lot of restaurants are providing curbside pickup services.  Retailers are prioritizing goods which have been hoarded to date.  My local grocers are, for the most part, business as usual.

At the same time, I have had no problem engaging essential services.

One retail change has facilitated self-isolation -- delivery of groceries.  It started with fast food and took off with Amazon.  Now nearly every restaurant and grocer delivers.  No need to go out at all.  On the healthcare front, telemedicine is getting its first trials.  Curious if either industry has seen a dramatic surge in use.

I am concerned about some local actions which seem to be making things worse.  Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville Massachusetts are sanctuary cities and have loudly announced a long list of crimes they will not respond to.  Among these are home invasions.  I've heard that this has led to a surge in home invasions.  Some have called for release of prisoners.  I don't understand this.  If the prisons are rife with COVID19, then I am against releasing exposed people into the community.  If they are not, then what is the motivation to expose prisoners to the virus?  And what is this thing where we tap elbows instead of shaking hands?  First, has anyone noticed the difference between mouths when touching elbows vs shaking hands?  And haven't they been telling us to cough into our elbows?  Some guy offered me his elbow so I hugged him.  Seriously, the protocol says that you are probably exposed if you are within ten feet for more than ten minutes.

So, I'm working from home a lot.  Spending time with my college student who is also working from home.  It's kind of fun.  When I go to work, the traffic is lite and my ride is twenty minutes shorter -- each way.  When I work from home, I save gas, time, and Massachusetts income tax.  I'm a little concerned for my oldest.  He is just a few miles from Slummerville, but he's immortal and I should not worry so much.  Still wish they would wrap this up and let me get back to my normal life.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 2

It is amazing how exhausting the change of routine and anxiety caused by Covid 19 is.  I can work from home mostly but my husband works in a very large manufacturing facility so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

• Like 1

The majority of my office is working from home. I'm thankful we are in an industry that it's possible. We have a few left in the office, that just flat did not want to work from home. Worked out well, because we really need someone in office anyway to accept mail and FedEx, or what have you. So they are practicing social distancing and disinfecting everything daily.

Our state superintendent today recommended all schools stay closed for the rest of the year. I don't know what that means for the seniors. Will they get to reschedule senior activities when this is over? I mean, if they don't they don't. Their health (and everyone else's) is obviously more important than prom or graduation. But my heart goes out to them.

• Like 1

The majority of my office is working from home. I'm thankful we are in an industry that it's possible. We have a few left in the office, that just flat did not want to work from home. Worked out well, because we really need someone in office anyway to accept mail and FedEx, or what have you. So they are practicing social distancing and disinfecting everything daily.

Our state superintendent today recommended all schools stay closed for the rest of the year. I don't know what that means for the seniors. Will they get to reschedule senior activities when this is over? I mean, if they don't they don't. Their health (and everyone else's) is obviously more important than prom or graduation. But my heart goes out to them.

My husband and I are lucky that we can work from home as well.  A real different environment for sure.  My son is home too with Distance Learning from school so they don't get behind.  Takes a bit to get used to when you have never worked from home before.  

• Like 1

Business as usual for me.  I had self quarantined for a few weeks when my office was sick -- just your standard flu virus -- and boycotted my niece's birthday party after her family was sick.  I had been planning a visit to upstate New York and 1) did not want to make the 9 hour round trip sick, or 2) be denied access once I got there.  That was Wednesday.  Friday I hosted customers at our facility.  Now I don't care if I get sick.  I've been to three grocery stores.  While most shelves were pretty bare Friday and lightly stocked this morning, I had no problem shopping my list and people were pretty social -- no masks or other protective gear.  I also got my tires rotated.  They put a wrapper on my steering wheel.  Of course they left the 'snot spot' (middle of the steering wheel) unprotected.

Toilet paper seems to be the main target of hoarders.  I heard there was a fight over TP in one store that landed eleven in jail.  I have plenty -- Charmin Ultra Soft -- at $10 per roll (one roll = five) ;-)

I have to tip my hat to the local merchants.  They are replenishing the shelves very quickly, have moved things people hoard to the front, limited purchases of shortage items, and not gouged at all.

Think I'll watch The Stand tonight...

https://youtu.be/0e64sPHWnsY

hey Len.. love the choice of movie (It's a good one and an even better book) .

One of my favorite books and the movie is actually really good too. I had been wanting to watch this movie for a while now (couple months at least).

• Like 1