GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

I’ve been doing lots and lots of baking. 

Luckily, there is no flour shortage where I live, although, I did have a hard time finding yeast, 

Yeast seems to be hard to find here, at least according to my Facebook timeline. I’m still having issues with certain canned vegetables and of course no disinfecting wipes or spray can be found.  

• Like 1

Happy May!  

I don’t know what “pandemic week” we are in here but the governor is slowly allowing businesses to open back up with restrictions of course.  I don’t know why he bothers because from what I’ve seen in my weekly outings aside from work, people are not wearing masks as recommended, not practicing the 6-ft “rule” and even staying home.  We’ve never had on official stay-at-home order but city and state parks/playgrounds had to be closed because of tons of people congregating. Walmart, Kroger have never not been packed and based on their parking lots Lowe’s and Home Depot have never not been packed either.   I went to HD today and it was a madhouse inside.  I assume Lowe’s was the same way.   Anywho, my hospital is still basically on lockdown but some elective surgeries are being allowed now, along with the emergent cases.  Life in the lab is slowly coming back to normal as in kickin our patooties daily, for the entirety of our 12 hour shifts.  I’ve done my part by staying home, only making grocery shopping runs to Walmart or Kroger.  I have been to Target a few times but never to browse.  I’m starting to have “browsing my stores” withdrawal honestly. LOL

• Like 2

I don't like grocery shopping but I am now okay with the idea of going to the store.  I haven't been since mid March.  I've had food delivered 3 times.  I am kind of wondering what is on the shelves these days.

I am happy that I am able to work from home.  Starting next month I believe we will be back to doing home visits instead of virtual visits and back to the office more.  I am trying to get things caught up while I have a chance since I am spending less time on the road.  

• Like 2

I'm still working from home too.  I've decided I like it :)

I came in to the office for a little while today. It's funny, I usually feel guilty for getting on GD when I'm supposed to be working at home, but I don't seem to have any problem with it sitting in the office.  I wonder what that says about me.   :g_think:  LOL

• Like 4

I ventured out to Walmart when they opened at 7am.  They had plenty of flour but the baking mixes (cake, brownies, etc.) were mainly sold out.

In other news, we are under a Winter Weather Advisory for tonight - 2-3 inches of snow.  Happy Mothers Day?!?!?!

• Like 1

I don't like grocery shopping but I am now okay with the idea of going to the store.  I haven't been since mid March.  I've had food delivered 3 times.  I am kind of wondering what is on the shelves these days.

I am happy that I am able to work from home.  Starting next month I believe we will be back to doing home visits instead of virtual visits and back to the office more.  I am trying to get things caught up while I have a chance since I am spending less time on the road.  

I love shopping.  Any kind of shopping.  In a store or online.  Just for research or against a deadline.  It's a distraction.  I especially like walking around shopping centers on cool evenings on my way home from work -- when the days are short and people aren't yet Christmas shopping.  It was best when my kids were young.  Now my kitchen is filling up with gadgets.

I grocery shop on my way home from work.  I pass a lot of grocery stores on my way home and most are co-located with retailers I have business with.  

The cycle starts on Wednesday when Hannaford, Market Basket, and McKinnons flyers arrive in my mailbox.  I use these to tell Alexa what to put on my shopping list.  I don't often shop at McKinnons.  When I do, I take a different route home.  It's the same route I take to pick my kid up from school.  If I have to pick him up, I stop at McKinnons.  Thursday morning, the Shaws preview is available online.  I use that to amend/complete my list.  Friday morning, Shaws posts their just-for-me deals.  By the time I leave for work Friday, my shopping plan is complete.

McKinnons and Shaws ads start on Friday.  I pick one for my ride home Friday night.  Generally, I stop at Shaws and Aldis (where I get milk, eggs, and bread) on the way home Friday night as Shaws runs three day specials that end before my next commute.  Monday and Tuesday I stop at Market Basket and/or Hannaford as my list dictates.  Wednesday we start over again.

The pandemic has changed my shopping habits.  First, sales are less common and less compelling.  Market Basket is inconvenient to get in and out of.  Hannaford has been sparsely stocked.  I have been living out of my freezers only venturing out for fresh fruit, vegetables, bread, and dairy.  Most of the time, I just go to Aldis as they have what I need at good prices with no unreasonable restrictions on access.

This week, Shaws ran a decent ad including $5.67/# porterhouse steaks, $4.99/# jumbo shrimp, $0.25 New England Coffee k-cups, and $1.99 Friendlys Ice Cream.  I stopped on my way home Friday night.  It's work observing the one way traffic restrictions.  Good exercise, I guess.  Over to Aldis for rye bread (reubens), milk, potatoes, and salmon.  They clean the carts for you as you enter and have one way aisles, but the aisles are short and no one loses their mind if you sneak in from the wrong way to grab something.  Not stopping anywhere else this week.  So, not quite normal, but I felt like lighting up a cigarette on my way home, if you know what I mean.

New Hampshire hasn't really been impacted except for the unemployment rate -- first to worst in the nation.  Mostly affecting service and hospitality employees.  Help wanted signs everywhere, but most I know who have been furloughed are pretty happy with the $600 bonus in their unemployment and expect to return to work soon.

My job is business as usual.  No complaints.  June 1 I start a two week vacation ;-)

• Like 2

Being a 60-year old 3 time separate cancer thriver, I'm a stickler for social distancing. On the rare occasions I do need to go in to a grocery store, I diligently adhere to the one way aisles, and patiently wait 6' back if someone in the aisle I'm on is stopped to make their selection.

I expect social contracts to imply the same behavior from others, not enforcement by store employees or hired security. It aggravates me immensely when others do go the wrong way on aisles, or pass me and others by while we make our selections when there isn't 6' of distance to safely do so.

If an aisle is empty, and one is at the closer end to an item one needs, I can see darting in to grab the item. But, leave the aisle in the proper direction, and if someone correctly enters the aisle at the same time one enters from the wrong direction, the one in the wrong needs to exit the aisle on the proper direction and make their way around.

We need to protect each other. Being inconvenienced by such details is part of that.

• Like 1

Being a 60-year old 3 time separate cancer thriver, I'm a stickler for social distancing. On the rare occasions I do need to go in to a grocery store, I diligently adhere to the one way aisles, and patiently wait 6' back if someone in the aisle I'm on is stopped to make their selection.

I expect social contracts to imply the same behavior from others, not enforcement by store employees or hired security. It aggravates me immensely when others do go the wrong way on aisles, or pass me and others by while we make our selections when there isn't 6' of distance to safely do so.

If an aisle is empty, and one is at the closer end to an item one needs, I can see darting in to grab the item. But, leave the aisle in the proper direction, and if someone correctly enters the aisle at the same time one enters from the wrong direction, the one in the wrong needs to exit the aisle on the proper direction and make their way around.

We need to protect each other. Being inconvenienced by such details is part of that.

Sadly many people can’t even follow this things when driving and it is illegal. People make me sad for humanity.
  • Like 1

I have respiratory issues and am drug/physician adverse.  I pay attention to my environment as well as my diet.  I tend to abide by social norms just to avoid unnecessary conflicts.  I do not get excited about proximity unless the person(s) close to me are exhibiting signs of illness.  

I am unaware of the social contracts that you speak of.  Not sure I would rely on presumed agreements to ensure my safety.  Getting aggravated will not preserve your health.  Use common sense and avoid people you think put you at risk.  If that is everyone, stay home and have your stuff delivered.

LOL.

We need to protect OURSELVES.  People do not know enough about this virus to advise us how to keep safe.  On the same day the governor of Massachusetts mandated everyone wear masks, the surgeon general said wearing masks could increase the likelihood of infection.  All I know is that a guy arrested for exfiltrating laboratory samples from Massachusetts in January was a student who never attended classes.  Just like the guys who set off bombs at the marathon.  Boston Stupid.

If you feel uncomfortable venturing out for groceries, stay home.  That's what I would do.  Relying on others to keep you safe is probably not a good idea.

• Like 2

I have had the displeasure of witnessing two loved ones being killed by Big Medicine.  In both cases, it was obvious to me that there were better options.  More power to you if you think you are a 'thriver'.  I am happy to live and die without being a science fair project.

So something positive is coming out of being stuck at home. There's a Facebook group for my area (many other areas too) that you may have heard about. It is called Wine Fairies. Once you join the group you post your address and list what kinds of wines (or any drinks) you like along with snacks. Then anyone can drop things off at your house...ding dong ditch style! It's really fun! I've been "wined" three times so far and am planning on doing some shopping tomorrow so I can surprise some other lovely ladies.

• Like 3

So something positive is coming out of being stuck at home. There's a Facebook group for my area (many other areas too) that you may have heard about. It is called Wine Fairies. Once you join the group you post your address and list what kinds of wines (or any drinks) you like along with snacks. Then anyone can drop things off at your house...ding dong ditch style! It's really fun! I've been "wined" three times so far and am planning on doing some shopping tomorrow so I can surprise some other lovely ladies.

I got wined last week. It’s such a fun surprise.

• Like 2

Shame I live in a no fun complex... Boo hiss.

• Like 3

I'm hoping things are starting to get back to normal.  I really dread making a Walmart trip today, but need to get some medicine so might as well get everything now so I won't have to make another trip next week.  On the bright side, by staying in I've managed to get some work done on my computer I've neglected for the past few months.  So at least I got something done.

It wasn't until last night that I realized I didn't check in for the month, which isn't surprising since I haven't been on many of my normal sites lately.  Spotty internet makes me want to visit as few sites as possible, but luckily its starting to speed back up.

• Like 1

I'm hoping things are starting to get back to normal.  I really dread making a Walmart trip today, but need to get some medicine so might as well get everything now so I won't have to make another trip next week.  On the bright side, by staying in I've managed to get some work done on my computer I've neglected for the past few months.  So at least I got something done.

It wasn't until last night that I realized I didn't check in for the month, which isn't surprising since I haven't been on many of my normal sites lately.  Spotty internet makes me want to visit as few sites as possible, but luckily its starting to speed back up.

We've been telling our people here - normal is not going to happen for a LONG time. Even returning to work - if you can work remotely, and a significant number of us can - you will continue to work remotely until vaccines or other therapies have been developed. Even if we do start allowing return to work, it will be very different - reduced numbers in the office, for those in open workspaces, higher partitions, mask requirements, etc. We all just need to learn how to adapt.

• Like 2