Black Friday 4K, Blu-ray and DVD sales expectations.

jaymacfla

Black Friday is normally the time to camp and shop for the big ticket items. One of my most guilty pleasures is stocking up on all of those great movie sales in different formats. It is not uncommon for me to spend about $200 on average for movies and TV shows since I refrain from buying them (for the most part) knowing the that deals are to be expected each Black Friday. Like clockwork, TV seasons will be found in a chronological order so that you can get the latest season (they know what to sell you if you are a fan) and there always seem to be at least one popular Disney or animation film to draw you in as well. Gottadeal does an excellent job of putting together a chart or spreadsheet to help you compare the various formats, prices and retailers who are offering these movies.

What is your most anticipated release for this season? Please discuss your favorite format and do you shop for family members or are your a master collector (hoarder, cough, myself) and do you collect the digital versions as well?

With the time-frame of a movie going from movie theater to digital decreasing, which new releases do you think will make it to the ultimate sales list of the season?

For the last 5 or 6 years I've purchased the just completed season of The Big Bang Theory on DVD on Black Friday.  I anticipate this year to be no different.  I will also buy This Is Us on DVD.  

As for movies, I just wait to see what the big Disney release is for the weekend and get it if I'm interested.  I'll be surprised if  Avengers Endgame isn't one of the big ones to get.  I like the bluray/digital combo packs for movies.  

I think Toy Story 4 will be one movie on sale.  I don't buy a ton of movies BF, but we usually buy at least 5-10, usually for our daughter.  My husband and I don't watch a lot of TV so not really looking for anything for us.  

I think you may be right on this one!

lets see into the future.

Toy Story 4, Spiderman Far From Home, Avengers Endgame, Captain Marvel

question will be who has the best deal for those 4 in 4k, will it be Walmart or Best Buy, Walmart last year had the best deals under $10 but the ones they didn't have Best Buy did for under $15

Edited by riven3d
  • Like 1

One of my DIL is collecting Disney animated movies so I am looking for those. My sons fiance ants the Golden Girls seasons (last year Barnes and Noble has series 1/2 off)

Target has a Buy 2 get one free on movies this week. I was looking at Frozen 4K, Tangled 4K and something else. The 4K versions are $29.99 each, so you can get three for $60 = $20 each. Not bad for 4K. You may find a few for $20 on BF, but may be a selected few.

• Like 1

Most of the 4K movies listed here should be under $15 (based on previous BF pricing). These are just my predictions (using mainly Best Buy pricing). Blu-rays for some of these titles will be as low as $7.99.

2001 $9.99
ALADDIN (2019) $14.99
ALITA $14.99
APOCALYPSE NOW $14.99
AQUAMAN $9.99
AVENGERS: ENDGAME $14.99
CAPTAIN MARVEL $14.99
HOBBS & SHAW $14.99
GLASS $9.99/$14.99
GODZILLA: KOM $14.99
HALLOWEEN (2018) $9.99
JOHN WICK 3 $14.99
THE LION KING (2019) $14.99
MIB INTL. $14.99
OVERLORD
ROCKETMAN $9.99
SHAZAM $9.99
THE SHINING $9.99
SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME $14.99
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE $9.99
TOY STORY 4 $14.99/$19.99
VENOM $9.99
X-MEN DARK PHOENIX $9.99

Walmart 4K deals (again my prediction):
HOBBS & SHAW $9.96
GLASS $9.96
GODZILLA: KOM $9.96
HALLOWEEN (2018) $9.96
JOHN WICK 3 $9.96
MIB INTL. $9.96
ROCKETMAN $9.96
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE $9.96
X-MEN DARK PHOENIX $9.96 

For the last 5 or 6 years I've purchased the just completed season of The Big Bang Theory on DVD on Black Friday.  I anticipate this year to be no different. 

So do I. I have every season and will probably buy the last one too, even though they are all still sealed and we can stream every episode

• Like 3

I wasn't planning on getting any but my niece wants a DVD player that grandma is getting her so I'm going to pick her up a couple movies and maybe toy story for her baby brother.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a bluray player as they are much cheaper now and play well with newer and older formats except 4K which belong to me, lol.

Dont watch many movies but Rocketman was great and would be fun to see again.

Same for Bohemian Rhapsody.

Anyone know of good comedies??

BR was well done but Rocketman needs to be cleaned up a bit for general audiences.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I LOVE Black Friday for movies...I always buy for me that day too. One movie for someone else, two for me, one for someone else, two for me...LOL!! Seriously though, Big Bang Theory for my husband, probably Bohemian Rhapsody on 4K for him too. Walking Dead Season 9 on Blu-ray, John Wick 3 on 4K and Deadwood: The Movie for one son. The other one hasn’t told me anything yet. I will be looking for any of the NCIS series, Criminal Minds, Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, etc. for me.

I think streaming is hurting DVD sales. It doesn’t seem like there is a large selection this Black Friday since stores like Best Buy are downsizing media departments.

I still like to buy TV seasons on DVD so I’ll be looking for a deal on the final season of The Big Bang Theory and Orange Is The New Black. I’d love to find a deal on a The Middle complete series.

The problem that's going to keep existing with streaming though is bandwidth caps. We hit one on Xfinity last month because of a lot of streaming. Until those are a thing of the past it will never replace actual media for me.

Charter says that they do not throttle down your services but I swear mine slows down towards the end of the month. I am so use to not even using the DVD player now, that it is weird putting one in now

We have started a digital collection, mostly 4K. I am hoping to really stock up this year, although, it may depend on how good Disney+ turns out. We love everything Marvel, Pixar and Disney. Can anyone advise the best place for digital? We have been using VUDU.

Thanks!

• Like 1

For those thinking about movies, if you have a 4K tv, you should really be buying 4K movies or at least blu-rays. The only reason to buy DVDs is if it’s not available on the other formats (such as TV shows). IMO you are missing out on what your TV has to offer. For Black Friday this year, Target and Best Buy will be offering the Sony 4K (X700) player for $129.99. If you own a 4K TV, you really need one of these (IMO ;) ).
  • Like 1

Vudu is the place but speculation has it that it may be for sale, leaving many worried about purchases. That being said, a safer alternative for now exists, Movies Anywhere. iTunes is also great for upgrading hd movies to 4k for free if you have the code. There are 4k sheets that are a roadmap for redemption. Other services are out there and I would be happy to assist you further, even on our discord server.

We have started a digital collection, mostly 4K. I am hoping to really stock up this year, although, it may depend on how good Disney+ turns out. We love everything Marvel, Pixar and Disney. Can anyone advise the best place for digital? We have been using VUDU.

Thanks!

I am testing out that very player right now.

For those thinking about movies, if you have a 4K tv, you should really be buying 4K movies or at least blu-rays. The only reason to buy DVDs is if it’s not available on the other formats (such as TV shows). IMO you are missing out on what your TV has to offer. For Black Friday this year, Target and Best Buy will be offering the Sony 4K (X700) player for $129.99. If you own a 4K TV, you really need one of these (IMO ;) ).

• 3 weeks later...

For the last 5 or 6 years I've purchased the just completed season of The Big Bang Theory on DVD on Black Friday.  I anticipate this year to be no different. ks for movies.  

Have you found Big Bang Theory as cheap as previous years?? Like $10.00 for DVD, not blue ray

Have you found Big Bang Theory as cheap as previous years?? Like $10.00 for DVD, not blue ray

I have not.  I’m very disappointed.  

I'm still looking for Big bang 12th.

I finally gave up looking.  I’ll just keep a check throughout the year or wait until BF 2020 and hope it’s discounted then.