When to possibly expect the bigger ads to drop this year

Brad

Brad, I have my fingers crossed that your prediction about Kohl’s and Target possibly releasing their ads this week is right. I’m headed on vacation in early November and I don’t think I’ll have cell reception. I’d love to see a couple major ads before I head out of town!
  • Like 1

I thought about getting a part time job at Target for this same reason!   :sidesplit

I work for Walmart.  If we work our scheduled day before Thanksgiving and our scheduled day after thanksgiving and thanksgiving, we get a 25% off voucher to use in store for 1 transaction (usually during the first week of December).  Some people buy multiple shopping carts of merchandise.  I normally buy staples (Toilet Paper, Laundry Pods, Paper Towels, Dish Soap).  Getting a job during Christmas is truly an eye opener.  

• Like 1

So here's where BF taking place 6 days later comes into play. Last year, Kohl's released their ad late Wednesday night and Target released theirs Thursday morning of this coming week (10/31 and 11/1 last year).

But last year that was ~3 weeks before BF. So the question is, do they release their ads this coming week because it's the same week as last year or do they wait a week since BF is later and we don't get them until the 6th/7th of November?

Personally, I think they are worried about the shorter period between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, so they'll release their ads earlier and try to increase sales in the weeks before BF to try and make up for it.

So my prediction is that this coming week will be the week we get some bigger ads. They might want to avoid Halloween and so like last year, Kohl's might release it late at night on the 31st (this Thursday night) and Target could follow Friday morning (November 1st). November 1st seems like a good date to start their sales and both Kohl's and Target put some of their BF deals online the same day their ads are released. I think Walmart and Best Buy will again hold off until at least the following week.

I think or hope with Kohls having their one day Pre Black Friday sale this Friday, 11/1, we will at least get a glimpse!! Plus they are doing $15 kohls cash for every $50 spent.

I just need to see either target, walmart or best buy before the 9th when sam's is having their one day sale. I just want to know if those are the best prices or if I should wait until black friday. Specifically looking at gifts cards with phone upgrade and the samsung 10.1 tablet. Sam's one day beat out costco's black friday deal on the upgrade, but costco's black friday beat out sam's on the tablet. Would like to see if anyone else has better offers before making those purchases.

Not an ad, but I'm hoping Amazon announces they are bringing back free shipping for everyone this week.

Amazon put out a press release today about their various shipping options for the holidays but the threshold for non-Prime members is still $25. Too bad. They must have lost too much $ on it last year. 

Amazon put out a press release today about their various shipping options for the holidays but the threshold for non-Prime members is still $25. Too bad. They must have lost too much $ on it last year. 

Bummer for those without Prime. Glad I have it to use for anything I may want. 

Still thinking the most likely scenario is:

Walmart: Wednesday night around midnight EST

Best Buy: Wednesday night around 1am EST

Target: Thursday morning around 9am EST

I really hope they are a little more spread out than that but based on past years, that seems to be the most likely scenario. And these could be this Wednesday/Thursday or next Wednesday/Thursday because of how late BF is this year.

• Like 8

I think with Kohl’s having already released their ad earlier than usual despite the late BF date, we may actually see the bigger ads in the next few days.

Or maybe I’m only saying that because I’m super excited for Target’s ad and I don’t want to wait any longer...[emoji23][emoji12]

• Like 2

To put things in perspective, today marks 24 days from BF. Last year, on the day that was 24 days from BF (October 30th) we had only seen Harbor Freight, True Value and Costco. So looking at it that way, we're way ahead.

• Like 2

I really hope they are a little more spread out than that but based on past years, that seems to be the most likely scenario. And these could be this Wednesday/Thursday or next Wednesday/Thursday because of how late BF is this year.

Better get some sleep while you can! :sleeping:

• Like 1

Oh I hope we get Walmart this week

• Like 2

To put things in perspective, today marks 24 days from BF. Last year, on the day that was 24 days from BF (October 30th) we had only seen Harbor Freight, True Value and Costco. So looking at it that way, we're way ahead.

Exactly. It seems the trend is pointing towards earlier releases despite the late BF. I also think it’s trending to start holiday preparations earlier - as in, it’s becoming more socially acceptable to decorate and prepare for the holidays in early November as opposed to after thanksgiving. That trend might be affecting ad releases too. [emoji4]