Black Friday Laptop Discussion

len_mullen

Reliability requires data. Price, features, etc. can be harvested from online reviews. Unless, of course, you are in the warranty service business. That's why I like the Square Trade report.

Synopsis: SquareTrade analyzed failure rates for over 30,000 new laptop computers covered by SquareTrade Laptop Warranty plans and found that one-third of all laptops will fail within 3 years.

Highlights of the study include:

• Looking at the first 3 years of ownership, 31% of laptop owners reported a failure to SquareTrade. Two-thirds of this failure (20.4%) came from hardware malfunctions, and one-third (10.6%) was reported as accidental damage.
  • Netbooks are projected to have a 20% higher failure rate from hardware malfunctions than more expensive laptop computers.
  • ASUS and Toshiba were the most reliable manufacturers, with fewer than 16% having a hardware malfunction over 3 years.
I once inquired about three year leases of computers where I work. At the time, rollovers were becoming a PITA as there was no perceivable performance improvement, but apps, data, and settings had to be migrated. I was told that the mean time between catastrophic failure was 2.65 years. Rolling over at three years statistically eliminated failures for most. Makes sense at the enterprise level, but the we want our home computers to last longer.
I can't even find Toshiba laptops, I think they used to carry them at circuit city, do they even make them any more?

What is the best option for a laptop under $500?  Mostly for wife/daughter, wife's big thing is speed she wants the fastest one but doesnt want to spend crazy for it

http://weeklyad.staples.com/StaplesSD/WeeklyAd?storeid=2278777&adref=staplesheader#!/store/2278777/promotion/Staples-191128BF

$399.99 right now

• Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8265U, Quad-Core
  • Hard Drive: 1 TB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home
  • Installed RAM: 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • Screen Resolution: 1600x900
  • Screen Size: 17.3"
  • Graphics Card Brand: Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • Wireless Connectivity: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac(19a) (1x1) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo (MU-MIMO supported)
  • Battery Life: Up to 9 hours (mixed usage), Up to 8 hours and 15 minutes (video playback), Up to 7 hours (wireless streaming)
  • Warranty: 1-year limited hardware warranty. Additional information available at www.support.hp.com(9) • 90 days limited technical support for software and initial setup (from date of purchase)