Black Friday Laptop Discussion

len_mullen

My daughter is looking for a laptop for her 10 year old that he can play Fortnite on. Since I am unfamiliar with the game and what specs it would need - any hep is appreciated.

from https://www.wepc.com/benchmark/fortnite-system-requirements/

Fortnite: Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: Core i5 2.8GHz
  • RAM: 8GB RAM
  • HDD: 16GB Free Space
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7870 or equivalent video card with dedicated memory of 2GB or higher VRAM.
  • DirectX: Version 11 or better

Shop for a laptop with a dedicated GPU that is at least as good as the GTX 660 or HD7870.  I'd be looking for an Nvidia GTX-Ti1050/1060.

• Like 2

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/student-laptops/Lenovo-14w/p/81MQ000JUS?clickid=2WcWw0X%3AfxyJUAN0MdV3iVCmUknwBSSakwu32U0&irgwc=1&PID=10078&acid=ww:affiliate:bv0as6

Thoughts on this laptop for a 7 year old.  She will be watching you tube mostly. She will play some educational games like Stride and Prodigy. She does like Roblox too.  Just trying to find budget friendly to keep her entertained.  Not looking for something that she will be using for school work at this point. Thanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a standard laptop for a teacher? My girlfriend wants a new laptop that she can do work on and also store lots (and lots) of photos on. I’m not so good at picking out stuff like this. Any suggestions?

I would go for an I5 with both an SSD and a 1TB for lots of storage! They tend to come with at least 8GB of ram and are good for having multiple screens up. 17.3 on page 1 of the staples ad is $399 no SSD. The Dell of page 5 is also $399, smaller screen but has the ram, SSD and large HD.

I would go for an I5 with both an SSD and a 1TB for lots of storage! They tend to come with at least 8GB of ram and are good for having multiple screens up. 17.3 on page 1 of the staples ad is $399 no SSD. The Dell of page 5 is also $399, smaller screen but has the ram, SSD and large HD.

I personally am thinking of getting the one on page 5 

• Like 1

I love that 17.3.  You can swap out a disk or add memory, but the screen you buy is the screen you live with. 

• Like 1

I'm looking for a laptop for my husband....he doesn't get a desk anymore, lol. All he uses it for is looking at the internet, craig's list, etc. He doesn't save documents. But I wanted to get him a little bigger screen, not an 11". I'm thinking he doesn't need much memory. Waiting to see if WM is going to have anything. Where is that ad anyway!!!

I'm looking for a laptop for my husband....he doesn't get a desk anymore, lol. All he uses it for is looking at the internet, craig's list, etc. He doesn't save documents. But I wanted to get him a little bigger screen, not an 11". I'm thinking he doesn't need much memory. Waiting to see if WM is going to have anything. Where is that ad anyway!!!

If you love him, get your husband the HP 17-by1062st 17.3" Laptop $399.99 in the Staples ad -- Intel Core i5-8265U Quad-Core, 8GB, 1t disk, AC wireless, 8-9 hours on a charge.

• Like 1

If you love him, get your husband the HP 17-by1062st 17.3" Laptop $399.99 in the Staples ad -- Intel Core i5-8265U Quad-Core, 8GB, 1t disk, AC wireless, 8-9 hours on a charge.

I actually lol'd.....

I actually did have a question about ssd vs gb/tb hdd. Is one better than the other?

I have been noticing that the BF ones at BB are all stating SSD. Which...Im not impressed with any of them. That one from Staples looks interesting and has the old school disk im used to. I cant tell if it has cd/dvd drive though, which is something I also like.

EDIT: Looks like it does have cd/dvd drive...looking better... :)

Hmmm....looks like it was $369 a few weeks ago using a coupon code 14408. I just tried it and looks like the coupon may still work. I didnt try to check out but it did drop the price. Free shipping included.

Edited by deelite

I actually lol'd.....

I actually did have a question about ssd vs gb/tb hdd. Is one better than the other?

I have been noticing that the BF ones at BB are all stating SSD. Which...Im not impressed with any of them. That one from Staples looks interesting and has the old school disk im used to. I cant tell if it has cd/dvd drive though, which is something I also like.

EDIT: Looks like it does have cd/dvd drive...looking better... :)

Hmmm....looks like it was $369 a few weeks ago using a coupon code 14408. I just tried it and looks like the coupon may still work. I didnt try to check out but it did drop the price. Free shipping included.

SSDs are much faster than traditional spinning HDDs.

However, their reliability, especially the cheaper SSDs, is less than traditional HDDs.

If you're playing games and framerate is important, then go SSD, and do regular backups if there's important data you don't want to lose.

If you're only browsing the internet and checking email, maybe streaming a couple thousand hours of Disney+ content, then an old school HDD is fine.  You should still do backups to be safe though.

External USB CD/DVD drives can be had for $20-30. (not even a Black Friday Deal - https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Portable-External-GP65NB60/dp/B00ODDE33U/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=cd+drive&qid=1573572902&sr=8-6)

• Like 1

SSDs are much faster than traditional spinning HDDs.

However, their reliability, especially the cheaper SSDs, is less than traditional HDDs.

If you're playing games and framerate is important, then go SSD, and do regular backups if there's important data you don't want to lose.

If you're only browsing the internet and checking email, maybe streaming a couple thousand hours of Disney+ content, then an old school HDD is fine.  You should still do backups to be safe though.

External USB CD/DVD drives can be had for $20-30. (not even a Black Friday Deal - https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Portable-External-GP65NB60/dp/B00ODDE33U/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=cd+drive&qid=1573572902&sr=8-6)

Tsm for the info. I am not a gamer..I literally only play ToonTown lol. I also browse and watch Netflix and Hulu. I'm really only looking because I keep getting a low disk popup and i have removed almost everything on it. Its from 2011 so I think it may be time.

Thanks again!

Edited by deelite

Looking for a Windows laptop for my son that can do video editing with Adobe Premier and After Effects. The recommended specs posted on adobe's site are as follows:

Intel® 7thGen or newer CPU – or AMD equivalent

16 GB of RAM for HD media (32 GB for 4K media or higher, BUT he isn't doing 4k)

4 GB of GPU VRAM

Fast internal SSD for app installation and cache, Additional high-speed drive(s) for media

1920 x 1080 or greater monitor

Any guidance on best BF laptops? We want to stay under $1,000.

Thanks! 

What about the Inspiron 14 3000 laptop in the dell home ad? Not that I don't love him, lol but it's more affordable.

What are your thoughts on the eMMC storage? The Dell Inspiron 14 3000 and best buy's Lenovo 14" laptop both have this type of storage.

from https://www.windowscentral.com/emmc-vs-ssd

Though embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) and solid-state drive (SSD) storage have a lot in common, including the use of NAND flash memory, SSDs almost always deliver superior performance and are available in far larger sizes for bulk storage. In most cases, if you're not shooting for a budget PC, we recommend opting for an SSD over eMMC storage.

What about the Inspiron 14 3000 laptop in the dell home ad? Not that I don't love him, lol but it's more affordable.

Pretty much agree with this...

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-inspiron-14-3000

OUR VERDICT

Overpriced and underpowered, the Dell Inspiron 14 3000 is not the sub-$200 laptop you're looking for.

FOR

• Long battery life
  • Waves MaxxAudio-enhanced speakers
  • Stays cool

AGAINST

• Dim screen
  • Shallow keyboard
  • Cover flexes
  • Doesn't support 802.11ac Wi-Fi
Edited by len_mullen

Pretty much agree with this...

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-inspiron-14-3000

OUR VERDICT

Overpriced and underpowered, the Dell Inspiron 14 3000 is not the sub-$200 laptop you're looking for.

FOR

• Long battery life
  • Waves MaxxAudio-enhanced speakers
  • Stays cool
AGAINST
  • Dim screen
  • Shallow keyboard
  • Cover flexes
  • Doesn't support 802.11ac Wi-Fi
Oooohhhh thanks, glad I didn't order yet!
  • Like 1