Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Black Friday Laptop Discussion

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 30, 2019 - 4:01 pm

My daughter is looking for a laptop for her 10 year old that he can play Fortnite on. Since I am unfamiliar with the game and what specs it would need - any hep is appreciated.

from https://www.wepc.com...m-requirements/

Fortnite: Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: Core i5 2.8GHz
  • RAM: 8GB RAM
  • HDD: 16GB Free Space
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7870 or equivalent video card with dedicated memory of 2GB or higher VRAM.
  • DirectX: Version 11 or better

Shop for a laptop with a dedicated GPU that is at least as good as the GTX 660 or HD7870.  I'd be looking for an Nvidia GTX-Ti1050/1060.

#32 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

Sentient Program Operator

• 1,411 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 1, 2019 - 6:40 pm

Don't forget on Fortnite, it is great on i5 intel, OR  AMD such as a8 or ryzen 3 or better.

A computer can only be as smart as the person running it. :crash:

#33 Jeanne515  OFFLINE  

Jeanne515

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 4, 2019 - 7:45 am

https://www.lenovo.c...ffiliate:bv0as6

Thoughts on this laptop for a 7 year old.  She will be watching you tube mostly. She will play some educational games like Stride and Prodigy. She does like Roblox too.  Just trying to find budget friendly to keep her entertained.  Not looking for something that she will be using for school work at this point. Thanks.

#34 jroyster86  OFFLINE  

jroyster86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 4, 2019 - 1:15 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for a standard laptop for a teacher? My girlfriend wants a new laptop that she can do work on and also store lots (and lots) of photos on. I’m not so good at picking out stuff like this. Any suggestions?

#35 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

• 1,411 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 5, 2019 - 9:21 am

I really like the $499 one with free 2 yr warranty from Sam's club this Saturday. Should hold up a while.

#36 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

President, Black Friday Vacationers

• 1,889 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 10, 2019 - 6:36 am

I am on the fence since I would like the largest screen (17.3) with an I5. I may pick a smaller screen if my shopping gets out of hand, lol.

#37 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

• 1,889 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 10, 2019 - 6:44 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for a standard laptop for a teacher? My girlfriend wants a new laptop that she can do work on and also store lots (and lots) of photos on. I’m not so good at picking out stuff like this. Any suggestions?

I would go for an I5 with both an SSD and a 1TB for lots of storage! They tend to come with at least 8GB of ram and are good for having multiple screens up. 17.3 on page 1 of the staples ad is $399 no SSD. The Dell of page 5 is also $399, smaller screen but has the ram, SSD and large HD.

#38 Elmck  OFFLINE  

Elmck

• 1,903 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Nov 10, 2019 - 10:52 am

I would go for an I5 with both an SSD and a 1TB for lots of storage! They tend to come with at least 8GB of ram and are good for having multiple screens up. 17.3 on page 1 of the staples ad is $399 no SSD. The Dell of page 5 is also $399, smaller screen but has the ram, SSD and large HD.

I personally am thinking of getting the one on page 5 

#39 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

• 1,889 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 10, 2019 - 1:18 pm

I personally am thinking of getting the one on page 5 

Especially if you do not care for the larger laptops. Can't go wrong.

#40 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,434 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 10, 2019 - 5:50 pm

I love that 17.3.  You can swap out a disk or add memory, but the screen you buy is the screen you live with. 

#41 mgreen  OFFLINE  

mgreen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 11, 2019 - 11:16 pm

I'm looking for a laptop for my husband....he doesn't get a desk anymore, lol. All he uses it for is looking at the internet, craig's list, etc. He doesn't save documents. But I wanted to get him a little bigger screen, not an 11". I'm thinking he doesn't need much memory. Waiting to see if WM is going to have anything. Where is that ad anyway!!!

#42 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,434 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2019 - 1:31 am

I'm looking for a laptop for my husband....he doesn't get a desk anymore, lol. All he uses it for is looking at the internet, craig's list, etc. He doesn't save documents. But I wanted to get him a little bigger screen, not an 11". I'm thinking he doesn't need much memory. Waiting to see if WM is going to have anything. Where is that ad anyway!!!

If you love him, get your husband the HP 17-by1062st 17.3" Laptop $399.99 in the Staples ad -- Intel Core i5-8265U Quad-Core, 8GB, 1t disk, AC wireless, 8-9 hours on a charge.

#43 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,602 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 12, 2019 - 4:39 am

If you love him, get your husband the HP 17-by1062st 17.3" Laptop $399.99 in the Staples ad -- Intel Core i5-8265U Quad-Core, 8GB, 1t disk, AC wireless, 8-9 hours on a charge.

This is the one I was leaning towards personally as well

#44 deelite  OFFLINE  

deelite

Me...Addicted???

• 1,367 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 12, 2019 - 5:28 am

I actually lol'd.....

I actually did have a question about ssd vs gb/tb hdd. Is one better than the other?

I have been noticing that the BF ones at BB are all stating SSD. Which...Im not impressed with any of them. That one from Staples looks interesting and has the old school disk im used to. I cant tell if it has cd/dvd drive though, which is something I also like.

EDIT: Looks like it does have cd/dvd drive...looking better... :)

Hmmm....looks like it was $369 a few weeks ago using a coupon code 14408. I just tried it and looks like the coupon may still work. I didnt try to check out but it did drop the price. Free shipping included.

Edited by deelite, Nov 12, 2019 - 6:52 am.

:yay: Too Blessed To Be Stressed! :yay:

#45 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,083 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2019 - 7:27 am

This is the one I was leaning towards personally as well

the husband or the laptop?   :sidesplit

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#46 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,083 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2019 - 7:36 am

I actually lol'd.....

I actually did have a question about ssd vs gb/tb hdd. Is one better than the other?

I have been noticing that the BF ones at BB are all stating SSD. Which...Im not impressed with any of them. That one from Staples looks interesting and has the old school disk im used to. I cant tell if it has cd/dvd drive though, which is something I also like.

EDIT: Looks like it does have cd/dvd drive...looking better... :)

Hmmm....looks like it was $369 a few weeks ago using a coupon code 14408. I just tried it and looks like the coupon may still work. I didnt try to check out but it did drop the price. Free shipping included.

SSDs are much faster than traditional spinning HDDs.

However, their reliability, especially the cheaper SSDs, is less than traditional HDDs.

If you're playing games and framerate is important, then go SSD, and do regular backups if there's important data you don't want to lose.

If you're only browsing the internet and checking email, maybe streaming a couple thousand hours of Disney+ content, then an old school HDD is fine.  You should still do backups to be safe though.

External USB CD/DVD drives can be had for $20-30. (not even a Black Friday Deal - https://www.amazon.c...73572902&sr=8-6)

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#47 deelite  OFFLINE  

deelite

Me...Addicted???

• 1,367 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 12, 2019 - 1:02 pm

SSDs are much faster than traditional spinning HDDs.

However, their reliability, especially the cheaper SSDs, is less than traditional HDDs.

If you're playing games and framerate is important, then go SSD, and do regular backups if there's important data you don't want to lose.

If you're only browsing the internet and checking email, maybe streaming a couple thousand hours of Disney+ content, then an old school HDD is fine.  You should still do backups to be safe though.

External USB CD/DVD drives can be had for $20-30. (not even a Black Friday Deal - https://www.amazon.c...73572902&sr=8-6)

Tsm for the info. I am not a gamer..I literally only play ToonTown lol. I also browse and watch Netflix and Hulu. I'm really only looking because I keep getting a low disk popup and i have removed almost everything on it. Its from 2011 so I think it may be time.

Thanks again!

Edited by deelite, Nov 12, 2019 - 1:03 pm.

:yay: Too Blessed To Be Stressed! :yay:

#48 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

• 1,411 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 13, 2019 - 5:25 pm

The staples $399 black Friday laptop is $419 today, use code 14408  and it is $50 off bringing it to $369 today, less than even the black Friday price.

#49 Elmck  OFFLINE  

Elmck

• 1,903 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Nov 13, 2019 - 7:26 pm

The staples $399 black Friday laptop is $419 today, use code 14408  and it is $50 off bringing it to $369 today, less than even the black Friday price.

Similar but model number is off by one 1 think 

#50 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

• 1,411 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 14, 2019 - 11:50 am

17-by1062st Same item

Edited by nirvana4all, Nov 14, 2019 - 11:51 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users